Blind Pedal Shootout on YouTube

Started by R.G., February 23, 2009, 12:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

Great job, and a real myth buster  ;D

Most of the distortion pedals I have tried and i would say that was a pretty fair comparison. Bob was also running the risk to fail..............

I'm sorry to say my approach is way more simplistic. At least in my humble experience, there are pedals that sound good, and normally if they are good , they are under most circumstances . I don't care about true bypass . Proof is that the Son of Hyde (TO MY EARS) was the best out of the bunch, closely followed by the BOR , This also showed that no matter how much you mod a DS1, it will still sound like a DS1.

The opamp shootout was another good one. I have spent a full evening with no less than 10 different opamps, and the only one where I could hear a sliiiight difference against the 4558 , was a 4559.

What would have been even better is a cable comparison :).

I'm sorry to say this again. OD's are very simple circuits, and I'm still wondering how can anybody ask 300 USD for a TS clone. Several builders offer top notch TS clones with top quality compnents for little more than 100 USD.

petemoore

What would have been even better is a cable comparison
  They didn't spend much time on it, but I did, for any testing, choose very connective cabling. That's what they did.
  Between the HQ 25' cable test [not only show of hands but the sound through the monitors here even showed it] demonstrating what cable capacitence does to a guitar signal and how people find it enjoyable/displeaing..
  ..and the bypass demonstrations..
  A reasonable conclusion can be drawn that cable capacitence is a common enough that most of either have some of that or a buffer to drive cable lengths.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

m-theory

This is a very decent presentation, and a good service to the customer base.  I do, however, have to take issue with the op amp mythbuster.  Strumming an open G chord is not the way to tell the differences between them, and yes, there are unquestionable differences. 

Gus

I finally watched a few of the videos.  It looked like the player could possibly see the effects over his left shoulder and the people could see the presenters face.

The effect demos were more of solo test to me, because it depends on the room and other players and instruments and volume and...

I think the videos were good.  I liked how you could hear the sound change with the distortions.  To me some sounded "farther" away and other "closer" and some "thinner" and others "fuller"  Each of the sounds can help adjust the total band/CD sound.

So to me there was no better just different (two distortions I did not understand what the sound was designed for but that's a taste issue)

Looked like a lot of work on all the peoples parts

The TC chorus pedal demo made me think Cure with it's settings

JKowalski

I thought the audience was hilarious.

They were falling asleep left and right and whenever they called a vote they all looked at each other, raised their hands halfway, took them down if nobody was doing the same, etc. Typical, I guess. And then the drummer! Ahahahaa...

But that should have a large influence on your voting. I would have suggested that an electronic voting system, to actually get real results. Crowd behavior is too influential.

aron

One thing that you cannot judge by listening is how a pedal reacts to the player. I have always felt that for me, the response can be just as important as the overall tone. If the pedal doesn't react the way you want it to (dynamics, tone changes), then it doesn't stay on my board.

That being said, there's no doubt that the Visual sound pedals do sound good. My friend uses it and he sounds very good. For him, the best sounds are of the tube screamer variety.

Pedal love

Quote from: aron on May 29, 2009, 08:37:51 PM
One thing that you cannot judge by listening is how a pedal reacts to the player. I have always felt that for me, the response can be just as important as the overall tone. If the pedal doesn't react the way you want it to (dynamics, tone changes), then it doesn't stay on my board.

That being said, there's no doubt that the Visual sound pedals do sound good. My friend uses it and he sounds very good. For him, the best sounds are of the tube screamer variety.

I agree

Paul Marossy

I also agree.

frank_p

I agree.

I was thinking of that two days ago.  Looking a car passing is not the same as driving one.  And doing a painting is not the same as watching one.  Altrough "art" is made to be seen and heard, there is no doubdt that the experience of the artist is completely different then the one of the public.  And when the artist become the public he may not repond to the same criterias.