Surface mount J201?

Started by punkin, March 07, 2009, 02:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punkin

I made an error when placing an order for some components from Mouser. I ordered J201's and accidentally ordered surface mount versions. Way small but I think with a steady hand I could solder them down. Any reason why I couldn't or shouldn't use them? I'm planning to build a BSIAB2.

Thanks!
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

Cliff Schecht

Let's see... Less residual inductance/resistance/capacitance on and in-between the leads means a cleaner signal. What do you think?

I'm half-kidding here, as the residual effects don't really get factored in until your working past about 500 MHz :P. Seriously though, you should have no problems as long as you make sure your pinout is correct.

punkin

Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

chi_boy

Quote from: punkin on March 07, 2009, 02:45:53 PM
Thank you Cliff  ;D.

If you're going to do it you should go all the way and and use ALL smd and put it in a 1590!   :)
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

punkin

I'd have to give up my coffee addiction and buy a microscope! I've been thinking about it but maybe a smaller less challenging project first. Next time  :icon_wink:

tranceracer

Quote from: punkin on March 07, 2009, 02:19:32 PM
I made an error when placing an order for some components from Mouser.

I hate when this happens!  I've done this with some relays i ordered a while back but it actually caused me to re-design a more power efficient board!  (Thanks RG!)

One thing that you can do to verify the pin outs orientation is on the board is to attach extensions to the J201 using the scrap resister and capacitor leads.  Just solder the J201 contacts that are opposite to each other (drain & source) to one single piece of wire and cut the connecting wire between them, then solder the single wire to the gate.

You may have already seen this but this site has a pretty good tutorial on how to solder surface mount components.
http://hackedgadgets.com/2008/01/14/surface-mount-soldering-tutorial/

I'm actually using this technique to surface mount standard components to minimize drilling.

Pls keep us posted on the results!    ;)

waky

I made the same mistake you did...(with exactly the same transistor). And that was the only time ill ever get to order from mouser because i live outside the us!!!  :icon_lol:.... So i had to come up with a solution:

You only need a glue gun, some phone cable and your smd j201s.

1- First grab firmly the transistor on a pair of tweezers (you can secure the tweezers with some tape so both your hands are free).

2- Next peel some of that phone cable (i recommend using 3 colors, one marking each lead) and solder one to each of the lugs of the j201

3- OK, we have already a through-hole transistor(but a very fragile one too), so next we cover all of the transistor and the joints with hot glue, wait for it to dry and we get a sturdy component :).

i hope this was usefull

Joaquin.
Completed: Ruby, Noisy cricket, Marshall Bluesbreaker, Jawari & 3-legged dog

chi_boy

Quote from: punkin on March 08, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
I'd have to give up my coffee addiction and buy a microscope! I've been thinking about it but maybe a smaller less challenging project first. Next time  :icon_wink:

Well, if you're not going to go all the way, you should just look for some regular J201's.

I bought 100 when I did my phaser.  I could trade you something for what you need, if you're up for it.

If you want to do a trade, email me.

Cheers,
George
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page