News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

heavy man...

Started by 1878, March 06, 2009, 04:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Is 'it' to do all the work ?
  Or is there going to be a speaker and other stuff involved?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

raulgrell

rnfr

Quote from: petemoore on March 08, 2009, 10:31:10 AM
  Is 'it' to do all the work ?
  Or is there going to be a speaker and other stuff involved?

don't really understand the question, pete.  but i think an amp and a speaker would be pretty key in gathering up your tone! in this case, it's a 5w Voice of Music mono amp into a fender 10in speaker which was placed in a harmony cabinet which was fit for an 8in speaker!  so, needless to say, i think it can only get better...

Quote from: raulgrell on March 08, 2009, 01:07:26 PM

Jesus... That sounds bloody awesome!

thanks. man! greatly appreciated!

raulgrell

Breadboarded this today, messed around with some values, and got a pretty usable tone... not like the sample though. I used some germaniums I had lying around, not sure what they were - I think that's where the big difference is...

The ones you used, what are it's specs? And that thing you said about the internal resistor - where would it be externally? I tried a few parallel connections, but it didn't come out too well...

rnfr

Quote from: raulgrell on March 09, 2009, 09:22:32 PM
Breadboarded this today, messed around with some values, and got a pretty usable tone... not like the sample though. I used some germaniums I had lying around, not sure what they were - I think that's where the big difference is...

The ones you used, what are it's specs? And that thing you said about the internal resistor - where would it be externally? I tried a few parallel connections, but it didn't come out too well...

yeah, the GT313's are pretty important.  i've tried some other transistors and it didn't really bias up as strong.  i have no idea what the resistance is, the only reason anyone knows it's there is because it comes up when you stick it in one of those semiconductor testers.  it doesn't show up in any of the diagrams on the datasheet.  it is in cyrillic though, so i couldn't tell you for sure.   the gain is supposedly off when you test it, but for the record, the DMM shows up at an avg of around 45 Hfe.  maybe try some low gainers, or just order some 313's- they are really cheap on ebay.