TDA1022 Flanger

Started by Ice-9, March 10, 2009, 02:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomeeque

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on May 26, 2009, 03:53:24 PM
Nice work! Thanks for doing all this and sharing your efforts.

Thanks! My pleasure :)

I patiently await the sound samples.
One Q. What are the highest & lowest clock f's this is capable of (measured at the BBD please) when in "filter matrix" mode?
Thanks again ;D,
Dave

Lowest is adjusted by RT4 to 40kHz (25us) exactly, according to the instructions from Deluxe EM factory scheme (EDIT: this value really seems to set nice sweep range, I has got to cca same position when adjusting RT4 by ear..).

Highest I'll have to measure (I did measure it few times during development, but now I don't remember the value plus it can slightly differ, since I have reconfigured after-LFO part to the Deluxe EM configuration meanwhile /as you can see on the latest schematics/ - it gives bigger range to the matrix mode and remains the same for the flange mode, so it was IMO good & save thing to do). Expect it tommorow evening, today I have to go to the pub  :-[, drink beer  :-\ and do lot of borring talking ???, you know.. these people are not even in DIY at all, so it will be just wasted time!!  :P

;)

Btw. I owe one answer to azrael from Pictures thread yet:

Quote from: azrael on May 25, 2009, 11:56:10 AM
I notice you linked to tonepad...but they only have a schematic up.
Did you design and etch the PCB yourself?

I did design both PCBs, but etched only second one - "main board" was etched by local professional, who has made superb job I haver to say! It was quick, it was cheap, it was drilled and quality of PCB traces is 100% (plus they are silvered). I was experimenting with laser-printer method earlier (e.g. here), but I won't do that no more probably (it's complicated and results are not the best at all) - either I will do those hand-drawn PCBs (in case of simple ones) or I will ask the pro again (for more complex PCBs).

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Thomeeque

Btw. I'm planning two mods right now:

1st is just adding pull-down resistor (cca 1M ~ 2.2M) to very input of the circuit for the popless effect/bypass switching :icon_redface:

2nd is bit more complicated and it's a change of the middle MODE SWITCH function ("Deeper Sweep" now) - it will be exact oposite = "Shallower Sweep" :) Thing is, that mainly for the "chorus" mode is even the lowest range still too deep at high rates, so the "chorus" mode adjustability is significantly limited. It should be no loose, since "Deeper Sweep" will be still achievable by extending "Normal Sweep" range (by enlarging RANGE pot value), if I would miss it. It's a bit tricky but I already see bright light at the end of the tunnel ;)

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

StephenGiles

Nice work! Thanks for doing all this and sharing your efforts.
I patiently await the sound samples.
One Q. What are the highest & lowest clock f's this is capable of (measured at the BBD please) when in "filter matrix" mode?
Thanks again ;D,
Dave

5mhz perhaps with the 4049 buffer!

An interesting unit would be the option to switch between Standard EM and Deluxe EM circuitry, I did have that on 2 large breadboards a few years back but our dog knocked it on the floor!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

http://www.4shared.com/file/108121325/b94b35c0/bounce.html

At last I've located a rough drawing of the bounce circuit I incorporated into a TDA 1022 Standard Electric Mistress  that I built. It's based on the Eventide Instant Phaser bounce and does interesting things to the LFO CV.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Thomeeque

Quote from: StephenGiles on May 27, 2009, 09:10:01 AM

..with TDA1022? Almost 10 times over declared maximum, that's cool!

Thomeeque

Quote from: StephenGiles on May 27, 2009, 09:41:16 AM
http://www.4shared.com/file/108121325/b94b35c0/bounce.html

At last I've located a rough drawing of the bounce circuit I incorporated into a TDA 1022 Standard Electric Mistress  that I built. It's based on the Eventide Instant Phaser bounce and does interesting things to the LFO CV.

Yep, there are even cool sound samples:

Quote from: StephenGiles on November 02, 2006, 04:43:34 PM
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/bounce3.mp3
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/bounce2.mp3
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/bounce1.mp3

These are samples from my TDA1022 Standard Electric Mistress  with bounce, which give an idea of what it can sound like.

This bounce feature is not my cup-of-tea, but your EM sounds really well!

So, Stephen:

Quote from: StephenGiles on December 22, 2005, 08:12:29 AM
...I have a Standard Electric Mistress with "bounce" using a TDA 1022 which is very noisy but interesting nevertheless - one day I'll draw out the circuit...

When this big day will come? ;D

T.

StephenGiles

Thomeeque

Quote from: StephenGiles on May 27, 2009, 10:12:45 AM
One of  these days ::)

:)

OK, may I just ask, do you have 4049 buffer there?

azrael

Cool, cool. Well, regardless of etched what, both looked very clean and had nice tight layouts. :D

StephenGiles

Thomeeque

Quote from: StephenGiles on May 27, 2009, 11:40:20 AM
Quote from: Thomeeque on May 27, 2009, 10:22:11 AM

No.

:)

OK, may I just ask, do you have 4049 buffer there?

Thanks!

Quote from: azrael on May 27, 2009, 10:54:03 AM
Cool, cool. Well, regardless of etched what, both looked very clean and had nice tight layouts. :D

Thanks! :)

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: StephenGiles on May 27, 2009, 09:10:01 AM
Stephen. Please stop scaring the people.
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
Quote from: Thomeeque on May 27, 2009, 09:48:11 AM..with TDA1022? Almost 10 times over declared maximum, that's cool!
Uh, Tomas. Now you're scaring me. :icon_eek:
Yes. One of these days...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xDCuEyfO2o
Enjoy!
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

juancra

Hi all!

I was looking around for an application to a pair of TDA 1022 that I bought in a local electronic store and I think this proyect fits almost perfectly! Before I build a PCB for the latest schem I've seen in the thread, I wish to ask if the proyect is ready to build or needs some work.
Seems funny to me the fact that TDA1022 is relatively easy to find here in Argentina and you guys in the other side of the world  have kind of sortage of it. If someone wants to acquire a pair of it just PM me. The store where I've bought them does make international shippings. Payment is done through Western Union.
This post was a great find form me because I was also  thinking to replace the SAD1024 with the TDA1022 in the Electric Mistress circuit. I compared its datasheets and think that TDA is more closer to SAD than other 1024 bbd's such as MN3007. Am I right?. I saw in previous post that Stephen has build a clone of it using this IC substitution. Is this possible or I must stop dreaming?

StephenGiles

I heard that Cristina has a stash hidden in her dulce de leche room :icon_biggrin:

juancra

Stephen, You like our country a lot, don't you? Dulce de leche rules at all! If I knew that some has a hidden stash of hard to find DIY stuff I will assault that house no matter the consequences! I can build pedals at prison !  ;D

What do you think stephen, is worthwhile to build an Electric Mistress after an TDA1022?

Thanks for the commentary!
Sebastian

PD: That commentary about Cristina does not surprise me at all . Those f*cking peronists are after all things that people loves! They want to take everything from us!

Thomeeque

Quote from: juancra on June 07, 2009, 04:49:22 PM
Hi all!

I was looking around for an application to a pair of TDA 1022 that I bought in a local electronic store and I think this proyect fits almost perfectly! Before I build a PCB for the latest schem I've seen in the thread, I wish to ask if the proyect is ready to build or needs some work.

Hi! Welcome aboard ;)

Basically yes, but I have made few minor changes yet, I will update and re-post schematics soon.

Btw. just today I have made first attempt to create some sound samples, but it's not as easy as I have thought originally, it will take few days yet - sorry..

Seems funny to me the fact that TDA1022 is relatively easy to find here in Argentina and you guys in the other side of the world  have kind of sortage of it. If someone wants to acquire a pair of it just PM me. The store where I've bought them does make international shippings. Payment is done through Western Union.

Good to know! I should definitely get at least another one as an backup - now I have only one and if it dies, I'm f... ;)

This post was a great find form me because I was also  thinking to replace the SAD1024 with the TDA1022 in the Electric Mistress circuit. I compared its datasheets and think that TDA is more closer to SAD than other 1024 bbd's such as MN3007. Am I right?. I saw in previous post that Stephen has build a clone of it using this IC substitution. Is this possible or I must stop dreaming?

I wish I could compare my clone with real SAD1024 EM (does anybody know about good samples?), but in theory SAD version should provide higher fidelity:

• SAD is dual 512-stages BBD and EM uses both of these BBDs in parallel-multiplex mode, which gives doubled sample rate at the same clock compared to single 512-stages BBD line (one could try to configure two TDA1022's to the same configuration)
  • TDA attenuates signal (gain is cca 0.75), SAD boosts signal (gain is cca 1.1), so TDA version requires boosting buffer to replace SAD (which adds some noise)
  • There is probably more, check e.g. this thread

T.

Thomeeque

I have finally measured both ends of the clock range:

If the minimal frequency is adjusted by RT4 to 40kHz (factory setting), maximal frequency is 540kHz (~TD = 6.4ms to 0.47ms). If switched to "Chorus" mode (C14 = 47+100pF), range drops to 15.1kHz to 204kHz.

If the RT4 is adjusted for maximal possible frequency (to 0 Ohm), range is 80kHz to 888kHz (so RT4 slightly influences max/min ratio as well - 11 here, 13.5 at factory setting).

At higher clock rates, clock signal curve gets already heavily rounded and triangularised, it's almost sinusoidal wave. BBD still works, but attenuates more (gain drops from 0.75 to approx. 0.65). I have tried 4049 buffer, but it did not help very much, clock wave was rounded and triangularised almost same, only amplitude was slightly higher (+7%) - either I have used some lousy 4049 or my cheap PPS10 scope is not capable to measure correctly at these rates. I did not measure BBD attenuation with 4049 buffer, but I did not hear any basic audible difference, so I have just removed buffer and did not waste more time with it.

T.

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

juancra

What problems did you have when taking sound samples? Have you tried using soft like Audacity?

StephenGiles

Quote from: juancra on June 07, 2009, 05:24:27 PM
Stephen, You like our country a lot, don't you? Dulce de leche rules at all! If I knew that some has a hidden stash of hard to find DIY stuff I will assault that house no matter the consequences! I can build pedals at prison !  ;D

What do you think stephen, is worthwhile to build an Electric Mistress after an TDA1022?

Thanks for the commentary!
Sebastian

PD: That commentary about Cristina does not surprise me at all . Those f*cking peronists are after all things that people loves! They want to take everything from us!

Yes I do like your country a lot, but I imagine that living in Argentina is a lot different from just visiting! Next time we visit we want to stay with a friend in San Lorenzo near Salta, and explore that province more. I also hope to visit Península Valdés again - I didn't have a camera when we were there in 2000, the penguins are wonderful!

It is definitely worth building an Electric Mistress with TDA 1022. It may be just a little noisier than the SAD 1024.