[TS-7] Alternative methods of increasing bass response?

Started by grolschie, March 10, 2009, 04:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grolschie

Hello there. I am modding a TS-7 for a friend. He wants more bass response, however, changing C34 makes things way too furry on the bass notes. I am looking for other ways to increase the bass response after the distortion stage. I have used the search function on this forum - I can't find what I am looking for though. Any clues please? What about at the output cap? I quite like the Low knob on my Bad Monkey, but a fixed value bass increase would be just fine. Thanks in advance.  :)

Meanderthal

Assuming it's the same as a ts9/808, it might be the mid hump causing the perception of loss of low end... common complaint among guitar players. In that case, I believe monkeying with the value of the cap to ground in the drive section might be what you're looking for.  Changing it from 0.047uf to 0.1uf outta do it.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Meanderthal

Occurred to me that^ might be the cap you're talking about. In that case, try raising the value of the input cap from 0.02uf to .1uf... I'm a bass player, and found that to be the only mod necessary to allow the bottom end to get thru.

grolschie

Thanks. Yep, that was the cap. It makes the lows more full, but too fuzzy for my ears.

Meanderthal

So, (just to clarify) have ya tried stock drive cap and raised input cap? On mine, the only cap change I kept was the input cap... that did it for me... and the clipping sounds the same as before to my ears, just lets more bottom thru... Out cap should be just fine, but raising the value of it shouldn't change the distortion at all, so it wouldn't hurt I guess...

grolschie

Thanks for that. I shall give it a try. What value did you keep for the input cap, 0.1uf?

Meanderthal

Yep, that did the trick... been on my pedalboard ever since. ts9 in case that makes a difference, but I don't think it should... 

grolschie

Awesome. Thanks for that. I will try and post back - probably early next week now.

grolschie

Hello. I am still tinkering....

What effect would trying different output cap sizes have in this circuit? I mean the stock is 10uf, which seems quite large. I see some use smaller caps. What would happen if I stuck a 22uf output cap in this circuit? Thanks in advance.

grolschie

Ok, here are the TS7 mods that I have messed with so far:

R55: reduced to 100ohm - TS808
R58: reduced to 10k - TS808
R57: reduced to 25.5k (doubled a 51k) - reduce min gain
C34: increased to 0.056uf (any higher was too mushy to my ears) - increase bass
C36: increased polar to 15uf tant - increase bass
C1: increased to 0.1uf - increase bass
C31: decreased polar to 0.1uf MKT - open up sound (whatever that means)
IC: ST TL072 (for clarity) stacked with TLC2262
Clipping: Asymmetric MOSFETs (i.e. an extra germanium on one side)

I really like this pedal now. Although would still like the bottom end of the Bad Monkey.