TUBE STAR - 12V-50V tube overdrive

Started by Renegadrian, March 11, 2009, 02:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jered

Adriano, like the sound clips. If your trying to get that scooped metal tone that Recto's are known for, add another tube for two more stages. It makes it a lot easier to taylor the circuit for the exact sound you want. Going one stage at a time you can really dial it in. At the higher voltage you can almost duplicate a red channel tone.

Renegadrian

I think I am going to build something more difficult one day, like a 2 stages pre or something - For now I follow the "LESS IS BETTER" approach, so keep parts count low for an easy circuit...And the sound I have with this lil' monster got me  :icon_eek:
Gotta make some other 12AT7 experiments...
Also I think I'll end using trafos and such things one day, but for now that simple voltage multiplier works so good - I really find the tubes are working so good at the +-50V I am running them...
THX for the hint, Jered...I appreciate that... :icon_wink:
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

letterbeacon

Looking forward to building this!

Quote from: Renegadrian on March 11, 2009, 02:58:22 AM
I started playing around with my breadboard on a mesa boogie schem - the 12ax7 doesn't sound good with the changes I made, but it's good with a 12au7.
It uses 12V to power the heaters and 50V on the plates - I used the voltage multiplier I built, you can find it here -->http://w1.859.telia.com/~u85920178/power/vconv_01.htm

Did you build the multiplier on a veroboard, or did you use the PCB layout on the website?

Renegadrian

Nice to see you're interested!
I used that layout on the site, only on a perfboard.
It should go at 48V, but as the WW is not regulated, it gives something more than 12V, so I got more or less 50V.

MichelP

Hey Renegadrian

I build the ecc82 version, gave it an input cap and run it at 78 volts on the anode.  Cool sound both on my 5 Watter and my trusted Laney VC30.

Ciao

letterbeacon

Quote from: Renegadrian on December 03, 2009, 04:40:07 PM
It should go at 48V, but as the WW is not regulated, it gives something more than 12V, so I got more or less 50V.

I don't suppose you have a diagram for your perfboard layout still?

Renegadrian

Quote from: MichelP on December 04, 2009, 11:03:12 AM
Hey Renegadrian

I build the ecc82 version, gave it an input cap and run it at 78 volts on the anode.  Cool sound both on my 5 Watter and my trusted Laney VC30.

Ciao

Wow, nice to have such a good word! Thx for trying it out!!!

Renegadrian

Quote from: letterbeacon on December 04, 2009, 11:59:38 AM

Sorry, I don't get what you are asking for...I posted both the schems and the vero layouts.

GibsonGM

Gonna build this one....hey, anyone know why on LTSpice, I have to move the 2nd stage grid leak to the RIGHT of the 2  470K grid stoppers in order for it to simulate?  Won't do it for me if I have the 1M as it's posted.   Odd! 
THX

Mike
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Renegadrian

dunno Mike, I usually let the ears be the judge, and they say that my layout sounds good (at least for me and enough to share...), also LTspice is a stranger to me...

letterbeacon

Quote from: Renegadrian on December 04, 2009, 07:52:56 PM
Quote from: letterbeacon on December 04, 2009, 11:59:38 AM

Sorry, I don't get what you are asking for...I posted both the schems and the vero layouts.

Apologies, I mean do you have the layout for the voltage multiplier that you built on perfboard?

GibsonGM

Yeah, you don't know until you build.  I wanted to see how the clipping is working with your Tube Star, so simmed it up quickly.  Simulation is for general 'ideas' of what might happen, at best!  The old way was to have the grid lead right at the grid, stopper first....but that attenuates the signal a little.  Simulators have a problem with moving it 'left' of the stopper, which is the best way to do it.  Don't know why.....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

ca cat

Renegadrian, could you please post a schematics or layout for the power supply - 12 - 48V?

Thanx!
Jamin' with JaM IT FX - www.jamitfx.com

frequencycentral

Quote from: ca cat on March 21, 2010, 07:20:39 AM
Renegadrian, could you please post a schematics or layout for the power supply - 12 - 48V?

Thanx!

I think he used this one:

http://www.sm0vpo.com/power/vconv_01.htm

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74088.0

EDIT: Link fixed!

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Renegadrian

demym

Sorry, but i don't understand one thing: how can i provide 12V to the tube and B+ (48V and more) at the same time ?

In particular, i would like to know which tube pins go to 12V (i would use a 7812, right?); i suppose that placing 48V and more on B+ is more obvious (to the resistors before pins 1 and 6)...

Can i do this with any kind of low voltage circuit ? Even with the Valvecaster (that i just built yesterday) ?

Thanks !

Renegadrian

You have to separate the voltage just after the WW socket on the pedal. So you have two wires, one going to the heaters and one going to the voltage multiplier.
On a double triode, you apply voltage to the heater (12V in the 12**7 family) to pin 4 and 5. one gets + and one gets - (in one direction or another)
7812 is mandatory if your wall wart is not regulated. B+ goes to pins 1 and 6, correct.
Yes, Valvy can use this setting too...

BarnyardBill

hope I am not waking a ghost, but I am gonna build this soon.  Probably need a tall large enclosure with room to hide the tube.  I dont want my tube sticking out.  It might get brokeded.  Or maybe get beer on it at the rock 'n' roll punk rock show.  Can't wait till I get money to order again.  :P

Renegadrian

Nice you have interest in my tube circuit! you like tubes, don't ya!?  :icon_lol:
Report on this one and all the others!!! And have fun with those glasses!!!

Govmnt_Lacky

Wiping the dust off of this one...

Is there a FINALIZED layout of this circuit anywhere? I know there are a few within this thread however, I want to know if there is an end-all/be-all version that has all of the details worked out.

Or even a PCB layout anywhere  ???

Thanks  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'