TUBE STAR - 12V-50V tube overdrive

Started by Renegadrian, March 11, 2009, 02:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Tweaked the circuit a little more...I think I will experiment a little more with the 12AT7, it made me forget about the AU7...
Lotsa more gain!!! And Hell knows how much I am after HIGH GAIN devices...Man, this Star SCREAMS!!!  :icon_twisted:

I tried the conventional "GAIN" pot wiring (which actually is a volume control between the two stages...) but liked the variable resistance on the first cathode better...So I went with it...

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

snap

kurtlives

Ya thats what I was thinking...

Ditch the variable cathode resistor and either add a gain pot in between stages, or have a high/low cathode resistor switch.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Ripthorn

Quote from: snap on March 15, 2009, 01:25:18 PM
crackle OK ?  :icon_biggrin:

I've never actually read about this, but is the crackle just when adjusting the pot value, or does it crackle the whole time?  I only ask because I have a variable cathode resistor on my breadboard, and if this causes some noise or something, I may rework it.

Adriano, looking great, I look forward to hearing clips with the AT7, I am just a little disappointed because I guess I jumped the gun and already ordered AU7's. :icon_rolleyes:  Oh well, plenty of good stuff with those, too.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Caferacernoc

It just crackles when you turn the knob.

Renegadrian

Actually it rarely cracks, after all I just put the gain as it is in the Valvecaster. Nothing that shouldn't be done at all...I know that the usual way is to wire the pot between stages, as a MASTER (I wouldn't call it gain, actually it's more than a volume at the end of the first stage) but you know, that seemed more useful to me...

Brian, the first schematic on this topic, at the previous page, uses a 12AU7 at its best (or at MY best!!! :icon_redface:)
Basically you have a good hot overdrive (running it at 48V or more). You can choose to have
a) no gain control
b) the gain at the first cathode, Valvecaster style
c) the usual MASTER control between the two stages.

As you heard on the quick clip I recorded of it, it is quite gainy, but you know I am an ol' METALHEAD so I just wanted more...Up to eleven!!!
So expect a gain monster from the other schematic (the 12AT7 one)...

Renegadrian

Ripthorn

It's funny you mention up to eleven.  In the amp I am working on, I have a footswitchable triode boost in front of the preamp (built into the amp) and the front panel label for its gain control is "Eleven".  :icon_twisted:  Anyway, I did quite like the sound of the AU7 one, so I will build that (As much as I would like to try the AT7 version, let's be honest, I probably have enough high gain pedals, if such a thing is possible).  I kind of like the cathode gain control.  I think the breadboard needs a little more attention on that matter.

frequencycentral

Adriano - your soundclips are very cool, great sound, nice chops!

I'm just loving it that there is a renaissance of tube circuits right here right now on this forum. People have built the Valvecaster and are moving on and experimenting with their own designs. Lovin' it!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Renegadrian

Yeah it's the TUBE RENAISSANCE and we're just deep in it!!!  :icon_cool:

Ripthorn

Yeah, it is funny how people on the outside would see us as using "inferior" technology.  I talked to my filter design professor about something and he said "But that is going to distort the signal" and I said "I know, it's for electric guitar" and he just said "Oh" :icon_lol:.  When I have my designs a little more firmed up, I will share them, but for the time being, I will enjoy the designs of you guys posted here.

Renegadrian

Added a couple of Vero layouts. The "Master Volume" layout will be online soon...

TUBE STAR
TUBE STAR CATHODE GAIN

German

Cathode gain is bad thing - becose you change tube bias.. all gets cranked up.. Or pot value could be about 0-2K2..
Only mastergain style between two triodes is accepted.

Ripthorn

Yes cathode gain changes the bias, but as long as it is within normal limits, I don't see a problem with it.  For example, I have a cathode bias booster that has a small resistor in series with it (so that the cathode never goes to ground) and it works fine.  Tubes are meant to be run at different biases, that is what is great for guitars.

I think that the volume control between triode stages is good for general use, but it can be nice to have things a little different once in a while.

frequencycentral

Quote from: Ripthorn on March 25, 2009, 08:06:51 PM
For example, I have a cathode bias booster that has a small resistor in series with it (so that the cathode never goes to ground)

This is a good idea, I've mentioned a few times the audible thunk of the Valvecaster as gain control is turn to maximum. Valvecasters can also whistle when bypassed when at maximum gain. A 1K resistor would do it - what did you use Brian? I have to say though, I do prefer fixing the bias and using an interstage gain control.

Ripthorn

The value of the resistor really depends on how much umph you want out of the thing.  I use a 470R if I want really high gain and 820R or 1k8 for slightly lower levels.  I choose the values depending on what I want and I got them from looking at amps like Mesas, Marshalls and other high gainers.  I do prefer the interstage control for most situations, I am just saying that I think a variable bias has its place and I think that for a booster that is not always in use, it is not a bad way to go (though I think I am going to make a back panel control for an interstage control on the boost just because if I want it to boost the clean channel, it gets a lot louder than if I boost the dirty channel, perhaps a trimmer). 

I am just totally digging all the tube stuff going on here, lots of great ideas going about.  I look forward to seeing your Promiscuous Girlfriend, Rick ;), though i was thinking you might want to consider some terms like hussy or fluzie (you come up with the greatest names to go with your projects).

frequencycentral

Quote from: Ripthorn on March 25, 2009, 08:30:36 PM
I look forward to seeing your Promiscuous Girlfriend, Rick ;),

Brian, out of context, that comment seems inappropriate!  :icon_mrgreen:

Quote from: Ripthorn on March 25, 2009, 08:30:36 PM
(you come up with the greatest names to go with your projects).

Thanks - I design the names first, then come up with a project to fit the name!

Ripthorn

Then I almost hate to ask you what the inspiration was for this upcoming project :icon_eek:

Renegadrian

I know that cathode fain is not the common way, but I found that it could be used without issues...
So German, I made 3 schematics and there will be 3 layout, with a fixed gain (just a resistor to ground), with the typical "master volume" between stages and the cathode gain pot, as seen in the Valvecaster too...
So German, if you are so strict about that, you can go with the classic way...Else, I have to tell you that I breadboarded all the 3 versions, and the cathode gain is a good solution, no strange crackles or issues...It works good, at least for me, and I found it more useful (it acts more like the gain control I was after) than the volume pot that is between the triodes.

Renegadrian

Quote from: Ripthorn on March 25, 2009, 08:06:51 PM
Yes cathode gain changes the bias, but as long as it is within normal limits, I don't see a problem with it.  For example, I have a cathode bias booster that has a small resistor in series with it (so that the cathode never goes to ground) and it works fine.  Tubes are meant to be run at different biases, that is what is great for guitars.

I think that the volume control between triode stages is good for general use, but it can be nice to have things a little different once in a while.

Yeah!!!  :icon_wink: