zendrive ad712 or tl072

Started by bagudan, March 12, 2009, 01:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagudan

Hi. I´m about to bulid the Zendrive from a layout I found. It calls for a chip(U1) called AD712. Do any of you know if I can replace that chip with a regular TL072...they seem to have the same pinout?

-Thanks.
-Kasper

petemoore

From the Data Sheet: ad712
Enhanced replacement for LF412 and TL082
   zendrive ad712 or tl072
  'yes'
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

kurtlives

Id use an OPA Burr Brown if you cant find the AD712.

It really needs a "hi-fi" chip. Without it its not the same sound pedal at all imo.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

bagudan

Thanks for the reply. I think I could get my hands on a OPA2134PA....
Is that Hi Fi Enough for the zendrive?

kurtlives

That's what I used and mine sounds amazing.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

bagudan

thanks a lot. i´ll give it a try;)

twangquack

I tried both the AD712 and TL072 (as well as other chips) in a build that is probably the same layout you found ... I was underwhelmed by the TL072 (not that it was awful) and even though the AD712 is supposed to be "true" chip for this circuit, it didn't wow me, either. I tried a Burr-Brown OPA2604 and liked it (no more than the AD712) ... but then I tried a TI TLC2272 and really, really liked that chip in this build! I hadn't liked the TLC2272 when I tried it in an OCD clone (I ended up with a stacked TL082/NE5532, which suited the OCD clone much better). The quality of distortion was nice, but a bit dark for that pedal.

But the TLC2272 sounds GREAT. I should add that this pedal is a "two-fer" and contains a COT50 (slightly modified) clone circuit into the Zendrive, both switchable. Digging through a bunch of SE4010 trannies, I found one with hFE of 612 ... Yes, SIX HUNDRED TWELVE. Happy find! And it sounds AMAZING -- that COT50 (by itself) and especially into the Zendrive clone, with the TLC2272. While both circuits sound great alone, the combo is wonderful. Fabulously rich and complex distortion, especially when varying the tone controls of each circuit -- one set slightly darker, one set slightly brighter. Honestly, if I had to live with one pedal on my pedalboard, I might be able to live with just this one. It has such a wide range of different distortion levels as well as tonal variation (bright to dark). Very, very nice.

rankot

I tried TL082, NE5532, OPA275 and LM1458 and I liked NE5532 the most. I used 1N34 diodes.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!