Help with '77 dod 250 build

Started by beeson, March 16, 2009, 11:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeson

Hi folks,
I just finished a vero version of the 1977 DOD 250 (link below, layout by Ulysses, thank you) and I've run into a snag that I'm hoping someone here could help me out with.

When the circuit is engaged the output is quiet, nearly half the volume of the bypassed signal. I probed around the circuit, everything seemed fine up until R7 (before the clipping diodes).  The signal is really hot before R7 but after R7 it gets really quiet.  I took the diodes out of the circuit and the signal after R7 was loud but not distorted much (of course, no diodes). I hope I don't sound like a complete newb here (cause I am  ;D), but are the clipping diodes supposed to bring down the signal quite a bit AND distort it or just distort it? Should I be looking elsewhere, before the op amp perhaps? The voltage before R7 is 4.01v and after its 0.56v. Values for op amp as follows:
1. 0
2. 4.09
3. 3.72
4. 0
5. 0
6. 4.12
7. 8.17
8. 0

Grounds are OK.  Thanks in advance for all your help, and please make me aware of any other information needed to make more sense of these problems. 

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/ulysses/ulysses_layouts/ulysses_77_grey_dod_od_250/ulysses_77_grey_dod_od_250_1_0.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

ppatchmods

Which diodes did you use? Have you tried removing or checking the value of the cap before the diodes to see if that is problem?
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

beeson

Thanks for the reply ppatchmods.
I had some time on my hands and the extra parts to build a new circuit board.  This time I had the same results but with NO signal after R7. Before R7 it's loud as hell.  R7 gives me a value of 9.1k so I know that resistor is ok.  From what I understand, the only components after R7 are D1, D2 and C5.  I've replaced all of those and no change.   
The diodes are the ones they call for in the circuit, 1n4003.  Which cap were you talking about? C5?
I also should mention that the pots I'm using are the only variation in this pedal.  The 500K is an audio pot and the 100K is a linear pot...they were the only pots I could get.
Thanks again for your help!

beeson

Yay I fixed it! Thanks ppatchmods. It was indeed the diodes.  For some reason the parts list called for 1n4003 diodes but they didn't work.  I went out and got some 1n914 instead.  Sounds sweet!!
Thanks again

ayayay!

1n400x (any value) should have worked.  You probably just had a bad one(s).   ;)

Glad to see you got it working! 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

ppatchmods

I'm glad you got it. Yeah, the diodes should have worked, but they would have lowered the volume just a hair. I meant resistor instead of cap. sorry. Enjoy the 250 goodness! It is a sweet boost after an overdrive.
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?