how to wire these plastic 1/4 input jacks.

Started by tareqx2, March 22, 2009, 11:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tareqx2

I have 2 of these input jacks. I think i have an idea on how to wire them, but i want to be sure. which is the tip, and the ring for the jacks (i'm guessing the middle is ground)?

Link to input jacks: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=090-976

railhead

hubble

on the mono version of those the back tab is the tip, front is the sleeve.  so im guessing the middle is the ring.

edit: front being closest to the opening

MartyMart

In that photo of the stereo jack socket, ignore the "far side" connections as they "disconnect" as your jack goes in.
Use the front side where the tabs are permanently connected to the metal bars running across the back.
This side "makes" connection with the jack and the other side "brakes" connection with the jack.

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

anchovie

Stick a cable into one of the jacks and you'll be able to see from the top which contacts are touching which parts of the plug.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

petemoore

Sometimes extensive testing helps.
  DMM and a couple cables helps.
  With mono plug, the jack can be a switch [the plugs sleeve contacts the sleeve and ring lugs of the stereo jack, often this is seen at the input, the tip carries the signal, the sleeve is assigned to Gnd. The Jack's ring connects the PS to the sleeve/Gnd. when it has a plug in it.
  Most of the other tricks are simple, these assignments can be determined pretty quickly with the cable/plug/jack, and using a DMM to test the various connections and insulations.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

drewl

You can tell by the photo the left shpuld be the switching jacks, right side always connected to the 1/4" plug, or the opposite. (you can tell which side lifts as you insert plug) the lugs are tip ring and sleeve from top to bottom, input side being the bottom.

hubble

just for kicks heres a diagram showing both the regular open jacks and the plastic neutrik style switching jacks...

Notice what part touches the groove on the tip of the plug and the part that touches the lower part of the plug.

and here the corresponding connections, hard to see but notice the open circuit of the switching parts.
on your stereo jacks the middle tab is the ring, which also connects to the same part as the sleeve