Author Topic: 1st post - beginner project pack? please help.  (Read 4854 times)

heartben

1st post - beginner project pack? please help.
« on: March 29, 2009, 01:35:42 AM »
hello there folks. i greatly want to get into building my own stuff, i am just having a horrible time finding a place where i can buy all my parts.

i am asking a great favor - can someone who has a lot of parts please put together a kit and send me a price? id need everything except for an box (enclosure) and battery clip.

can anyone help me out, or send me to a site they know has all the caps/ resistors etc id need.

i REALLY appreciate it, im counting on the great folks here to help me out!

thanks so much!
-ben
talk to me via AIM if you are bored! AIM - theheartben

ACS

• Great Contributor!
  • They call me Mr. Pig... That or Aidan.
Re: 1st post - beginner project pack? please help.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:21:42 AM »
Whereabouts are you Ben?  There are plenty of places in most countries to source the stuff you need.  Failing that, there are plenty of mail order places to choose from - I'm sure between all of us here we can give you a bunch of links.  One of my favourites is Futurlec - cheap and a great selection (word of warning - they can be slow to ship if parts are not in stock!  Always follow up with an email to see if anything is on backorder).

One of the things I recall from starting out was that there always seemd to be half a dozen items on every website that for all intents and purposes seemed to be identical, and I never knew which ones to pick!  So maybe if you post a list of the components you need for your build (commonly called a bill of materials, or BOM) then we can link to the right parts with the manufacturer of your choice.

My suggestion would be to always order 2x everything you need - this way you'll start to build your collection of components from the word go :)

Good luck mate - it's an addiction!!

Aidan

[edit] I see now you're referencing the beginner project - give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can find the BOM and kick this off

ACS

• Great Contributor!
  • They call me Mr. Pig... That or Aidan.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 05:49:25 AM »
BOM from Aron in the beginner build thread.  Updated to hyperlink to the right parts from Futurlec.  Part numbers in red:

One .1uF (C100UPF) (Film if possible)
Three Electrolytics 10uF(C010U16E), 22uF (C022U50E) and 47uF (C047U16E)
]Two 10K resistors (R010KMF)
One 47K resistor (R047KMF)
Two 100K resistors (R100KMF)
One NPN transistor 2N5088, 2N2222 etc.... (2N2222)
One 5K linear pot. (POT5K)
Stereo input jack (P065SCK02A)
Mono output jack (P065SCK02)
perfboard (EXPBRD)
box (not from Futurlec, but plenty of places to get one, or make one!
switch again, not from Futurlec, but loads of options
transistor socket or DIP8 socket ICS8MT

You also need 4 pieces of hookup wire and a battery snap.

Remember, this is just an option for you - there may definitely be other, better options available for you, depending on where you are...

Good luck bud!

BAARON

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 11:30:12 AM »
A lot of people order from http://www.smallbearelec.com/ because he specializes in stocking parts for DIY pedal builders.  He has most anything you'll ever need to build most pedals, but you might find that large parts suppliers (Mouser, Digitech, etc) are cheaper due to the size of their companies, and they probably ship faster than he does.

His customer service is very nice though, and you don't have to sort through hundreds of thousands of resistors just to find the one that you like.  (It took a long time for me to learn to appreciate Mouser.)

P.S. SmallBear has a very nice assortment of knobs.  Mmmmmmmm.... knobs...
P.P.S. http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/ also specializes in, well, pedal parts.  They have very pretty pre-finished enclosures and their prices are good... but I usually find that their selection of electronic bits is somewhat limited, and weird to sort through when you're trying to search for specific values (such as resistors, caps).  For something simple like the first project, though, they might have everything you need!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 11:33:21 AM by BAARON »
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."

heartben

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 05:03:18 PM »
thank ya both very much! hope to order soon.

i am in iowa for anyone who cares. haha.

thanks again. i really appreciate it.
talk to me via AIM if you are bored! AIM - theheartben

aron

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:22:29 AM »
Also remember the STORE link above:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/zencart/