A Tap Tempo Control Chip

Started by smallbearelec, April 09, 2009, 01:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wampcat1

Quote from: MoltenVoltage on April 11, 2009, 12:12:59 PM
Quote from: nelson on April 11, 2009, 12:02:58 PM
If Cartman owned an electronics business, that's how he'd run it. Insult his customers and tell them they weren't creative enough to utilise his product. A smart person would make it as easy as possible for the end user to implement it into their designs, instead of pretending that they "don't get it.".

Electronics is as much an art form as mathematics. You can't suddenly create a new green, just as you can't suddenly create a new 1. Either you want to sell them or you don't. I'd listen to the suggestions, it's not as if they are out to get you.

I guess its time to separate the men from the boys.

:icon_rolleyes:

I'd have to disagree with you. Your response sounds like a bit egotistical.. a bit 'anti-business', a bit "if you don't know, I'm not going to tell" type of mentality.

I'll share my own personal experience with you.

In 2001 (or so) I started tinkering with guitar effects... reading alot, absorbing alot, and breadboarding like a mad man. I bought alot of pedals and came up with some simple mods sort of like what keeley/AM were doing. This is way before Monte or anyone else was doing mods. I tried at first to sell my service of modifying pedals for folks. What I found out though is that the emails I were getting were people asking me *HOW* to modify them themselves. Instead of spending my free time answering emails all evening giving away that stuff, I stuck the info in a small word file and charged a few bucks to download it.

I realized if it was in book form, 2 things would happen. More people would see value in it and purchase it, and more people would learn how to save money and mod their own pedals.

Fast forward to now and a HUGE part of my income comes from my DIY info. And it's snowballed... early on, my customers were MANY of the companies that are now building pedals or some sort of DIY project. One of my earliest customers include Keith from build your own clone, and Monte Allums - not that I know everything - not at all!!!! The difference is that my little itty bitty project helped a couple of 'outside of the box' thinking DIY'ers build very profitable businesses, which empowered even more people to try their hand at DIY.

It's called capitalism, brotha. ;)

Whatever you decide all the best to you... my point is I GUARANTEE this will be available soon... VERY soon ;)
The first to get there wins, in a business sense. If you don't believe me, test the idea.

Take some pre-order confirmations... See how many people you get that want it.

bw

slacker

Quote from: MoltenVoltage on April 11, 2009, 11:45:32 AM
I've got to say that the lack of creativity and initiative on this "Do It Yourself" forum is really disappointing.

Give us a chance mate, we've only known about this gizmo for about 24 hours, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with something cool to do with it. I'm tempted to buy one and make a tap tempo tremolo using it just for the hell of it.

I think it's unfortunate that Steve mentioned the words "Tap tempo" and delay in his post, because that's the holy grail to a lot of people round here. The fact that your chip, cool though it is, doesn't get us any closer to building one is the reason for most of the negativity.

just my 2ps worth of course ;)

sinisterguy

+1 on slackers comment.

As cool as this little chip is, it is basically only a preprogrammed implementation of the micro-controller based tap tempo idea that's been floating around for ages. It still doesn't solve the original problem of the non-mathematical (so it seems) relationship between resistance and delay time. What will be interesting is seeing if the prepackaged solution will encourage more people to try to solve this problem and see if they can make something that is functional and close enough for rock and roll.

decc

Tap tempo for a PT2399 is impossible and no-one should attempt it (at least for another week or so.)  ;)

StephenGiles

I have this sudden urge to record Don't You Lie To Me, which for the unknowing is a Chuck Berry song which does not require echo - thank goodness for that. Trouble is that I'm in Italy so 2 1/2 hours flying time from home. But anyway, somebody might like to sove the problem of the Adaptive Sweep Generator whilst they are at it!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Lurco

Quote from: wampcat1 on April 11, 2009, 02:09:53 PM
don't get me wrong... do what you want :)
Here's the thing about capitalism though... and making any sort of real money with guitar effects (or any product in general):
provide what people need and want, at a price they are willing to pay.
supply and demand.

The question is, does your company exist to make a profit, as a personal hobby, or just to kill time?
A company's purpose, by definition, is to make money. If you don't want to run your business LIKE a business, it's only a matter of time before you (i say 'you' generically, i mean 'a person') hit a ceiling.

The truth is that you/your company may not be the one to do make the tap tempo circuit an easy diy project.

But I GUARANTEE you that *SOMEONE* will. The opportunity is there. The truth is that many of those who have knowledge in *any* niche do very little with it. The successful people use it to better the world. The wealthy people use it to make money. The *smart* people use it to do both.

;)

bw

OK - you`re into the Art Of Capitalism so it seems ?

The Art Of  Effectsdesign is providing what people don`t have yet, don`t know it exists, will want when they hear it,
no matter what it costs to get it going.

wampcat1

Quote from: Lurco on April 11, 2009, 04:58:27 PM
Quote from: wampcat1 on April 11, 2009, 02:09:53 PM
don't get me wrong... do what you want :)
Here's the thing about capitalism though... and making any sort of real money with guitar effects (or any product in general):
provide what people need and want, at a price they are willing to pay.
supply and demand.

The question is, does your company exist to make a profit, as a personal hobby, or just to kill time?
A company's purpose, by definition, is to make money. If you don't want to run your business LIKE a business, it's only a matter of time before you (i say 'you' generically, i mean 'a person') hit a ceiling.

The truth is that you/your company may not be the one to do make the tap tempo circuit an easy diy project.

But I GUARANTEE you that *SOMEONE* will. The opportunity is there. The truth is that many of those who have knowledge in *any* niche do very little with it. The successful people use it to better the world. The wealthy people use it to make money. The *smart* people use it to do both.

;)

bw

OK - you`re into the Art Of Capitalism so it seems ?

The Art Of  Effectsdesign is providing what people don`t have yet, don`t know it exists, will want when they hear it,
no matter what it costs to get it going.

agreed, definitely - however, I'm not the one trying to sell my chip. :)

bw

smallbearelec

Quote from: slacker on April 11, 2009, 03:02:50 PM
I think it's unfortunate that Steve mentioned the words "Tap tempo" and delay in his post

Apologies for not doing more homework on this. Of course, I do hope the product turns out to be useful.

Regards
SD

MoltenVoltage

How about a CONTEST  :icon_surprised:

For the next 6 weeks (deadline May 31, 2009), anyone interested can post photos and description (including schematic) of your finished pedal that uses our Universal Tap Tempo Control Chip MV-52 to this thread.

At the end of 6 weeks, I will choose the 5 best ideas and let you vote on the best one.  Voting will be open for 7 days.

The winner will receive a brand new TOGGLE pedal:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Product-news/Molten-Voltage-Releases-TOGGLE-Pedal-.html

Any takers?    :icon_question: :icon_idea: :icon_question:

MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

cheezit

From what I can tell, combine the tap tempo chip, an envelope follower/gate circuit, a latch, and some 4066's and you have something approaching the Toggle pedal.  Wouldn't do the swing thing, though.

Processaurus

Quote from: MoltenVoltage on April 11, 2009, 06:57:35 PM
How about a CONTEST  :icon_surprised:

Fun!  Too bad I'm going to be out of town for 5 of those weeks, I got an idea that would be a serious runner up to whatever wins.

eleanor296

Quote from: Lurco on April 11, 2009, 12:56:27 PM
Quote from: eleanor296 on April 11, 2009, 12:16:03 PM
I have to agree with Stephen Giles here...
this thread is starting to be entertaining.
Reminds me of a certain "gear" forum.

Andy

the "FreeGearBoxesOrg" ?  :icon_lol:

I was thinking more along the lines of TGP...
haven't been on the "other" forum in a good while, actually.
They'd both fit the shoe though, so great guess!

Taylor

Quote from: cheezit on April 11, 2009, 08:01:47 PM
From what I can tell, combine the tap tempo chip, an envelope follower/gate circuit, a latch, and some 4066's and you have something approaching the Toggle pedal.  Wouldn't do the swing thing, though.

A pretty transgressive submission to this contest would be to design a better Toggle.

wampcat1

cheezit

Quote from: Taylor on April 11, 2009, 11:04:12 PM

A pretty transgressive submission to this contest would be to design a better Toggle.

I actually think the Toggle is pretty cool.  What's not obvious from the youtube videos is that all the cool sounds it is switching between are coming from other effects.  But the idea is neat and it does appear to generate some musically useful sounds---anyone going gaga over one of those sequenced-wah deals should be able to do something with this.  Price point is a bit much for a switcher though.

slacker

trendyironicname

Quote from: cheezit on April 12, 2009, 03:18:53 AM
I actually think the Toggle is pretty cool.  What's not obvious from the youtube videos is that all the cool sounds it is switching between are coming from other effects.  But the idea is neat and it does appear to generate some musically useful sounds---anyone going gaga over one of those sequenced-wah deals should be able to do something with this.  Price point is a bit much for a switcher though.

I agree.  And I'm realizing that maybe they're not trying to come off like I first thought. 

It does look pretty.  And I like the idea. 
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

wampcat1

Just a side thought... let's take something similar like the belton reverb module:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74345.0

Notice how the designer not only provided a data sheet but ALSO a pedal schematic... I'm willing to bet that there will be a TON of boutique reverb pedals veerrrrryyyy shortly. ;)

And THAT'S where you'll sell a ton of chips... to the guys that order 100 at a time. ;)

bw

MoltenVoltage

We actually made 2 videos about TOGGLE.

The first one is a product demo video, the second is a song that shows 31 ways to use TOGGLE and lets you know what mode is being used and what effect is on each channel:

TOGGLE demo video

31 Flavors of TOGGLE

Looks like there are at least a few of you interested in the contest, so let's do it!
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

wampcat1

Quote from: MoltenVoltage on April 12, 2009, 01:37:05 PM
We actually made 2 videos about TOGGLE.

The first one is a product demo video, the second is a song that shows 31 ways to use TOGGLE and lets you know what mode is being used and what effect is on each channel:

TOGGLE demo video

31 Flavors of TOGGLE

Looks like there are at least a few of you interested in the contest, so let's do it!

IMO, the toggle is a unique product and a very useful product - plus it looks good!
I'd give you a special pat on the back for not going after the 'same ol, same ol' and repackaging a tubescreamer like so many other pedal companies. :)

Contest is a great idea too! you ought to put something on your website about it. :)

bw