New Big Muff Perf Layout - very tiny and neat, minimal off-board wiring.

Started by frequencycentral, April 17, 2009, 09:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Quote from: rousejeremy on October 17, 2009, 10:09:41 PM
Where did you get those great little black transistors?

They were reclaimed from a 70's Farfisa Italian Organ. I have a few more stored away for mojo-mergencies.  :icon_razz:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

rousejeremy

I bought an old transistor radio from an antique shop and there are a bunch that look just like the ones you have. Nothing is written on them though. Can't wait to rip them out and test them!
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Vince_b

frequencycentral

Quote from: Vince_b on October 18, 2009, 10:59:07 AM
It may be a little bit off topic but what does "mojo" means?

"Mojo refers to a magical charm bag used in hoodoo. In modern usage it may also metaphorically refer to possessing a "magic touch" of creativity or charm."

ie: everything to some people, snake oil to others........

FisTheGoon

:o Very neat and compact layout.  So how about the sound sample regarding the Clip pot?
Thanks.Nice job

Thomeeque

Quote from: FisTheGoon on October 18, 2009, 11:11:36 AM
:o Very neat and compact layout.  So how about the sound sample regarding the Clip pot?
Thanks.Nice job

+1 :)
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

frequencycentral

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

frequencycentral

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 29, 2010, 11:16:52 AM
C13 is .0047pF  ???

Should that be .0047uF?

Correct!

I improved that layout a while back, fatter traces and better spacing for the caps. I haven't had chance to verify it, so check it over before building:

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 06, 2009, 05:23:52 PM

Well, I am building off of an etched board according to the layout above and I just now found that there are NO pads for R19!! :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_redface:

Looks like I will be doing some improvising!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Govmnt_Lacky

Ok... after a little improv  ;D I got this wired up and boxed up. I used some 2N2222A metal can trannys that I had laying around. Sounds GREAT! I may try some lower gain transistors to see if I can mellow it out a bit.

Noob Question ALERT:

I could not help but notice that the Sustain AND Volume needed to be up in order to pass a signal. Is that a normal Muff function? Or, is that particular to THIS design?

Thanks again Rick.... TOP NOTCH!  ;)

nocentelli

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 04, 2010, 05:51:00 PM
I could not help but notice that the Sustain AND Volume needed to be up in order to pass a signal. Is that a normal Muff function? Or, is that particular to THIS design?

I believe there should be a 1k resistor between ground and sustain pot lug 1 (missng from Rick's perf layout): This will prevent the sustain pot from muting the cicuit when set at minimum.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: nocentelli on December 04, 2010, 06:56:44 PM
I believe there should be a 1k resistor between ground and sustain pot lug 1 (missng from Rick's perf layout): This will prevent the sustain pot from muting the cicuit when set at minimum.

Thanks for the tip!  ;)

So.... according to the original PCB layout, could that resistor (1K) be installed INSTEAD OF the jumper between Sustain Lug 1 and Ground? (By R21 and R9)

Have you made this mod yourself? Where did you get the idea for the resistor to ground?

frequencycentral

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 04, 2010, 07:46:11 PM
The 1K is stock on BM's. But with me being a minimalist.....

Thanks Rick... I dont mind splurging in this case  :icon_lol:

There is just something about having to turn two knobs to get one result (ala the BSIAB2 with the volume and the gain pots) that I cannot stand!

I would solder in 10 parts!!!  :D

Ronsonic

Quote from: svstee on April 17, 2009, 03:03:41 PM
Uh-oh, ceramic caps! The Mojo Police will be kicking down your door in the middle of the night for sure now! And with metal film instead of CC! If I were you I would leave the country! :icon_mrgreen:

JK, loving the build as always, rick!

Ceramic Disks have mucho mojo. They're all over inside old Fender Amps. Of course they cannot possibly sound as good as caps with brightly painted stripes.... But it's not like he's using Orange Drops or something.
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 04, 2010, 07:08:25 PM
So.... according to the original PCB layout, could that resistor (1K) be installed INSTEAD OF the jumper between Sustain Lug 1 and Ground? (By R21 and R9)

So, I just noticed that if I install a 1K resistor in place of the jumper, I will satisfy my requirement for the Sustain (according to all other muff schems) but, it will also add 1K more resistance between Tone Lug 3 and ground (from 39K to 40K).

Will this have a big influence on the output or will it be negligable?

Govmnt_Lacky

So i just tested the new 1K and when the Sustain pot is at 12 oclock or lower there is a bad squeel!  :icon_redface:

Looks like I am going to have to crack this open again and cut the trace between R21 and the 1K resistor that I put in place of the jumper. Then I need to re-establish the jumper from R21 to ground.

Crowella

I'll give this a build sometime this week and report on it. The new layout looks fine with me.

It looks like a great layout, thanks Rick  ;D Your contributions are always helpful.
Rhythm in jump, dancing close to you

Poste

Been reading this thread and thought I would cost the build, however I am struggling to find some 1n76a diodes, what can be substituted here?
I was thinking a 1n34a but I have very limited knowledge with these kind of things.