"Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion" doc: Updated with new mod and sound clips

Started by 5thumbs, April 25, 2009, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thumbs

Greetings, y'all.  I've been awful busy lately, but I finally got around to documenting my latest DS-1 mod, the "Huevos Grandes" mod.  This mod is designed to cut the treble-boost and fizz that is almost a DS-1 hallmark.  The resulting sound is much darker and has a lot more balls to it (hence the name.)  You'll find the instructions for the Huevos Grandes mod on Pages 25-26.

As for the sound clips, folks have been PMing and e-mailing me for a while, requesting sound clips for my mods.  Well, I finally got around to recording sound clips for all my mods, including the Huevos Grandes mod.  I recorded several clips for each mod on 3 different amp types: 1) large tube combo; 2) small tube combo; and 3) vintage half-stack.  You'll find the links for the sound clips on Page 27.

If you have questions, please PM me (and don't e-mail me without PMing first...it'll take longer that way, trust me. :) )

Here's the download link for the updated doc: http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/Build_Your_Own_DS-1_Distortion.pdf.

Thanks!
If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!

ayayay!

The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

ramblin

5thumbs

Quote from: ayayay! on April 25, 2009, 09:50:24 PM
All the links for the soundclips don't work.  :(

I just checked the links and they still worked for me.  Being that isn't very helpful in figuring out what's going on in your situation, what error message/browser behavior are you getting when you click on the link(s)?  Some of these MP3 file hosting sites are not as transparent and available as they'd like us to believe.
If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!

Quackzed

You have a nice neat doc there! It will be a valuable addition to the great library of tone! I just picked up a ds-1 (my first) :icon_lol:
just to have some fun trying out your mods! I tried a few stock ones over the years, didn't really blow me away...but a while ago i played through my friends ds-1 and i got some good sounds so ,after seeing your doc.,I figured i'd buy one and MOD IT! :icon_twisted:
i'll try to do a build report...
A+
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

5thumbs

Thanks, Gil.  I appreciate the kind words regarding my doc.

If you have any questions or issues during the modding, please let me know.

WGTP

I see in-line diodes are cleverly added for crossover distortion, with a bypass to reduce the effect a little...

I don't understand the clipping diode section with the parallel diodes?  Wouldn't that work the same as a single diode in one direction and 2 in the other?

Just as a suggestion, how about a schematic which shows all the mods color coded so we can see the differences...

Cool stuff  :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

5thumbs

Quote from: WGTP on August 19, 2009, 12:22:57 PM
I see in-line diodes are cleverly added for crossover distortion, with a bypass to reduce the effect a little...
Yep. :)  I wanted to add back a little sizzle after I did all the other things to darken and focus the tone in the Huevos Grandes mod.

I don't understand the clipping diode section with the parallel diodes?  Wouldn't that work the same as a single diode in one direction and 2 in the other?
Actually, we've been having a bit of a discussion about this diode configuration on the "other" DIY stomp forum.  If you go over there and look up my posts, you'll find the larger discussion.  That said, that configuration is called a bridge rectifier.  (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_rectifier for more info.)  The bridge rectifier configuration I used in the HG mod was the same that is used in the Radial ToneBone, as well as the Marshall JCM-1 rack preamp.  You essentially end up with the signal going through three diodes in series in both directions.  However, with the bridge rectifier arrangement used, you can achieve this effect with only 5 diodes, as opposed to 6 diodes in a standard hard-clipper arrangement.

Just as a suggestion, how about a schematic which shows all the mods color coded so we can see the differences...

Cool stuff  :icon_cool:

I'm finishing up my latest project (a DS-1/RAT hybrid project), but I'll take that schematic project as my next work item for this doc.  Thanks for the kind words regarding my doc. :)

WGTP

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/WGTP/OS-2+Distortion.GIF.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

You may find this interesting.  It is a Rat/Ds-1 like circuit from the Distoriton side of the Boss OS-2.

I didn't think the 5th diode in the rectifier section was connected.  I understand now... 

It seems the more the clipping threshold is raised, the more op amp distortion there is for a given level of distortion. 
I'm not saying that is a bad thing.  I suspect some of the design with the buffer is to get a good op amp distortion.

Keep up the good work.
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

5thumbs

Quote from: WGTP on August 20, 2009, 10:08:19 AM
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/WGTP/OS-2+Distortion.GIF.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

You may find this interesting.  It is a Rat/Ds-1 like circuit from the Distoriton side of the Boss OS-2.
Interesting, but my DS-1/Rat hybrid is more conceptually similar to one of Dano's Beavis Audio *Lab builds (i.e., FuzzLab, ScreamerLab, etc) in that you can replicate either a modded DS-1 or a RAT, depending on the components you enable via switches.  You can also mix and match your favorite parts of each to make something unlike either of its predecessor.  This pedal is also based off a small, stompbox-size format, so you can experiment with it at home, but still use it for a gig.

I got the idea after completing the Huevos Grandes Mod.  I've always planned on playing around with the RAT, so I started looking at moving on from the DS-1 for a while and playing around with the RAT.  Well, the more I looked at the RAT schems, the more I realized that most of my DS-1 mods are actually making the DS-1 more RAT-like in its operation and sound.  That's when I thought, "Why don't I just make a hybrid that can be either or both at the same time?"  So this yet-to-be-published-or-named pedal is the result.

I've got the schematic, PCB layout and enclosure graphics done.  I just need to build it, tweak it (if necessary), record sound clips, publish the build doc and send the final prototype to an old friend, as promised.  (I'll keep production unit #1 for myself.)

suprleed

Great job!  Very well done.  A lot of great information here (I've been following this project from its inception).  Required reading for anyone even remotely interested in modding a DS-1.   ;)
"That's the way I play" ~EC

5thumbs

Quote from: suprleed on August 20, 2009, 05:56:46 PM
Great job!  Very well done.  A lot of great information here (I've been following this project from its inception).  Required reading for anyone even remotely interested in modding a DS-1.   ;)

Thank you, sir.  I'll keep adding to the doc as long as  I can think of worthwhile things to do to DS-1.  :)

solderman

Quote from: 5thumbs on April 25, 2009, 08:51:05 PM
Greetings, y'all.  I've been awful busy lately, but I finally got around to documenting my latest DS-1 mod, the "Huevos Grandes" mod.  This mod is designed to cut the treble-boost and fizz that is almost a DS-1 hallmark.  The resulting sound is much darker and has a lot more balls to it (hence the name.)  You'll find the instructions for the Huevos Grandes mod on Pages 25-26.

As for the sound clips, folks have been PMing and e-mailing me for a while, requesting sound clips for my mods.  Well, I finally got around to recording sound clips for all my mods, including the Huevos Grandes mod.  I recorded several clips for each mod on 3 different amp types: 1) large tube combo; 2) small tube combo; and 3) vintage half-stack.  You'll find the links for the sound clips on Page 27.

If you have questions, please PM me (and don't e-mail me without PMing first...it'll take longer that way, trust me. :) )

Here's the download link for the updated doc: http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/Build_Your_Own_DS-1_Distortion.pdf.

Thanks!

A very well done job Brett. I am blown away by this one.
This doc should be a standard reading for every one that builds dist boxes with diode clipping regardless of type. Aron should put it in the wiki. Much of what's in the doc complies for dist boxes in general.
Again super job
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Ice-9

Excellent and most informative work Bret. Grats. I look forward to reading it through fully. Thanks
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

fullenglish

Hi to everyone here.

I have spent a lot of time modding a DS-1 The basis for the mod was Brian Wamplers Premier Guitar JCM Mod with some Keeley mods as well and then tailored the sound for my needs.  After lots of changes I started to have an understanding of what different component changes made to the sound.

It is now totally awesome, From mild crunch to insane, whist retaining the original frequencies. and the three people that i have demonstrated it to have all asked me to do the mod for them.  My only issue is that the distortion doesn't increase gradually in a linear way. So the searing lead tone that you get happens from 3 o clock on DIST pot to max. I would like to get more distortion around the mid settings on DIST pot and less ramping up at the end.

I have the R13 1k and C8 1.5uF mod to get more distortion and D5 LED. About 20 component changes in total

Does anyone know of any component changes to achieve this ?

Thanks

5thumbs

Quote from: fullenglish on November 08, 2009, 12:20:13 PM
Hi to everyone here.

I have spent a lot of time modding a DS-1 The basis for the mod was Brian Wamplers Premier Guitar JCM Mod with some Keeley mods as well and then tailored the sound for my needs.  After lots of changes I started to have an understanding of what different component changes made to the sound.

It is now totally awesome, From mild crunch to insane, whist retaining the original frequencies. and the three people that i have demonstrated it to have all asked me to do the mod for them.  My only issue is that the distortion doesn't increase gradually in a linear way. So the searing lead tone that you get happens from 3 o clock on DIST pot to max. I would like to get more distortion around the mid settings on DIST pot and less ramping up at the end.

I have the R13 1k and C8 1.5uF mod to get more distortion and D5 LED. About 20 component changes in total

Does anyone know of any component changes to achieve this ?

Thanks

I think if you look at how the DIST control is wired in the DS-1 as compared to a RAT or Dist+, you'll see that it is wired differently.  Basically, the way BOSS wired it results in a more rapid "travel" from low gain to high gain.  The RAT or Dist+ wiring for that analagous pot produces a more "consistent" taper that you might prefer.

The BOSS hookup causes the large feedback resistance (on the wiper, Lug 2) to "flip flop" to either the ground side (Lug 1) or the feedback side (Lug 3), depending on where the pot is in its travel.  The "standard" method used by the RAT/Dist+/TS-808/etc use a wiper with input on Lug 1 with wiper (Lug 2) tied to Lug 3...a classic variable resistor.

How do I know this?  Well, I've designed a pedal that can be switched (by major circuit sections) to either a DS-1 or RAT.  The DIST control was one of the challenges I had to meet to pull it off.  (Once I build and record this puppy, I'll unleash it on y'all...for whatever usefulness or amusement it may provide. :) )

Also, the "mid scoop" on the stock DS-1 causes lower DIST settings to get a bit too "un-hairy" for my liking sometimes.  The PHLAT mod on Page 23 of my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc (linked in my sig) helps fatten up the sound when rolling off the DIST control.  You might want to experiment in that area as well.

Good luck!

fullenglish

Hi

Thanks for suggestion

I finally got round to trying it. Unfortunately it went the other way with too much distortion at lower settings on DIST pot with an early ramp up.
It gave me the idea of putting a resistor between the 2 lugs, to alter the taper. So I tried a 50k variable resister and the early signs are great, but I will have to try it properly in the daytime as neighbours are getting really fed with my DS-1 mods.

Your Build your own DS-1 article is excellent

Thanks again and keep up the good work

Brymus

Wow a most thorough PDF !!!
It must have taken an insane amount of time to put together,KUDOS for the result and for the sharing.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

fullenglish

Hi

Thanks for suggestion

I finally got round to trying it. Unfortunately it went the other way with too much distortion at lower settings on DIST pot with an early ramp up.
It gave me the idea of putting a resistor between the input and wiper lugs, to alter the taper. So I tried a 50k variable resister and the early signs are great, but I will have to try it properly in the daytime as neighbours are getting really fed with my DS-1 mods.

Your Build your own DS-1 article is excellent

Thanks again and keep up the good work

Adji

Whoa mate this is very comprehensive. A little complex for me at the moment but a lot of good information there for the beginner like me.