Has anyone tried this in an Orange Squeezer?

Started by Crazyyellowfox, September 18, 2009, 11:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazyyellowfox

I'm curious if i'd be wasting my time to breadboard this into an orange squeezer.
I know this op amp is obviously designed to clip and compress, but some folks like a
"dirty" Orange Squeezer." Also... would a 4148 work in place of the 914? I know the two
diodes are _nearly_ identical, and I'm wondering if the 914 was specifically chosen here
for a reason.

matt the modulator

Iam just breadbording this circuit now and a 4148 definitely works but what differance it makes iam not sure. iam using this to replace the op amp in a RAT circuit and so far have reasonable results. OA81 and OA91 germanium diodes also work and if you use a red LED you get chopped up bits of audio spat out at you which is nice. also its possible to use 2n3906's (pnp) and a 2n3904 (npn) but the sound is a bit nasty in the circuit iam using
Analog Heart 8-Bit Brain

Joe

The 1N4148 diode is similar enough to the 1N914.

I'm not knocking ideas, but it seems to work the best with the silicon diode, and making sure that the output is close to 4.5V (by adjusting the 4.7K resistor.) The biasing matters on this!

BAARON

I thought you were supposed to adjust the 6k8 resistor until the output's voltage matched the + input's voltage, not the 4k7?
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."

Joe

Thats probably right depending on the application. (I only did distortions). My own directions say to adjust the 6.8K to get 1/2 supply at the output. :) Been awhile since I messed around with it.

Crazyyellowfox

Since it seems I'm the only one wearing this topic into the ground and no one has actually stepped up and said "Yes, I've tried it"
I went ahead and gave it a go.

As an added bonus I made a germanium version with two hfe-matched AC125s (180hfe) and a darlington of two Russian MP10As
(1 hfe 45 with a leak of 28uA and another hfe 32 with a leak of 67uA for a combined hfe of 1440 and leakage of 1876uA) and a
1n4148 6.8k biased at 3.3k.

It works surprisingly well! Nice and clean, with a lot of warmth in the tone.

When I breadboarded this, originally it was not compressing much, this op amp doesn't drive as hot as a 4558, I considered
adjusting the gain network to increase the gain, but it was already pretty noisy with 4 germanium devices in there. I managed
to compensate by replacing the 1n100 with a schottky.

Here it is built on GGG's -old- Orange Squeezer layout along with a board I custom laid out for the Russian darlington.
Temporary enclosure is temporary. I might make this my main "clean" compressor"

Sound clips to come!

Crazyyellowfox

It sounds like this!

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/561191/osq.mp3

The first 13 seconds are with the compressor off, you can hear the hiss when I switch it on. The remainder of the clip is with it on.
flourescent lighting in the room, so I apologize for the 60 cycle. it quiets down about halfway through the clip thanks to a neck-
position humbucker in my Telecaster. the end of the clip is the Tele bridge pickup.