“Event Horizon” PT2399 Sequenced Delay Concept

Started by frequencycentral, April 29, 2009, 12:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacobyjd

I already have an enclosure drilled for 12 pots...what's one more? :)

How difficult would it be to make some of the pots optional? The biggest issue would probably be space saving. Do you have an idea of what size enclosure you'd want to fit this into?
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Taylor

Right, the enclosure and pot configuration are all entangled. I mean, if this was just for me, I'd probably design it for a 1790NS. I'd either do it landscape orientation, with the 8 sequence pots in a row and the others in a second row, or else I'd do it portrait style with 3 pot rows.

But, I know people around here like their tiny boxes. I'm 6'1" or so, so to me the little 1590b Zvex kind of thing is too tiny to adjust or to stomp accurately. But that's me. I can say for absolute certain that 13 pots, even 9mm ones, will not fit in a single row across a 1590b. Which means that we can't use the horizontal mount 9mm pots like Zvex does - I'd have to design for vertical-style pots, and these are not as available in the 9mm size (though I think Small Bear is supposed to start carrying those). So it leads me towards the 16mm pc-mount pots.

I guess the decision is between 1590bb and 1790ns, and portrait vs. landscape. I could make any of those 4 setups fit.

As far as optional pots, probably one or some would be, but I'm not sure what people find the least useful out of those controls. The difficulty of making lots of things optional with these PCBs is that then it's more complicated to figure out what you're supposed to leave out for the configuration you want, and people end up leaving out parts they need for the pedal to work. I like o make things easy to build, both for the benefit of people building the boards, and to cut down on my email overload.

Doesn't Markeebee work in biometrics or something? I wonder if he knows off the top of his head the diameter of the average human finger...

frequencycentral

When I was mulling this over I was thinking a toggle for auto/manual advance, and manual advance momentary footswitch, a mode switch for 2/4/8 steps, and a manual reset momentary footswitch.

I even did a panel layout for it, for 1590BB, but on reflection a 1590JJ would be more suitable.

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

slacker

cloudscapes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

jacobyjd

I have my sequencer controls in a circle, so board mounted pots are out for me. Planning it for a 1790 is probably for the best, given the number of features.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Skruffyhound

1790, all the pots. I'm no designer so only time, tweeking and mods will show me the pots I don't use. I may also be forced to use off board pots, simply because I have so many.