Author Topic: Vero board  (Read 9451 times)

rogsteels

Vero board
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:33:01 PM »
I decided to have a go at this and bought all the parts but I could only get hold of Vero board instead of Perf board. Is it fairly easy to use or would I be better getting perf? I have a bit of experience soldering pots and pickups but have never soldered onto board.

Also I could only get hold of a DPDT switch...is this a problem?

Scruffie

Re: Vero board
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:38:14 PM »
Hey,

Veroboard is perfectly easy to use (infact i prefer it to perf) just find a layout for what you want to build on vero, the red squares on layouts are track cuts and they are on the underneath (copper side) so you have to mirror the image to get the locations if you follow me it's like the cuts are in an xray and are actually on the underneath but the components all go where the layout shows on the top, then you just solder them on the underneath copper side according to the layout (there are several tutorials on vero building, just use the search function to find some info or google)

As for the DPDT that's fine but you can only have true bypass and can't have a status indicator unless you build a millenium bypass circuit add on which is probably something you should do in future builds not the first one which i assume this is.

Hope this helps,
Scruffie.

rogsteels

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 02:16:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Looks like I'm stuck with the vero...cant seem to get perf in the UK very easily.

It is  my first build so I will try a 3pdt for my next one.

Ive seen a few vero layouts on this forum so I'll have a go at it this weekend

Cheers

Rog

rousejeremy

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »
Check out Dragonfly's layout gallery for TONS of vero layouts.
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Scruffie

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 02:28:15 PM »
If your in the U.K www.bitsbox.co.uk do it, its also called Matrix board. Can also shop www.bowood-electronics.co.uk in the U.K and there are tonsss of layouts around, just have to search high and low.

rogsteels

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 04:04:55 PM »
cheers guys....bitbox looks like a good site

I'll try the vero board while waiting for the perf to come

Rog

Scruffie

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 04:42:59 PM »
Bitsbox is an amazing site with amazing service, always first class post, well packaged and whatever sized order still 1.50 P&P decent range of stuff, pretty much most things you could ask for, for simple to medium builds.

Some people prefer vero some prefer perf, personally i find vero alot easier to do neat layouts on but it's all personal preference, layouts are harder to do yourself on vero than perf but there are so many vero layouts about, not usually a problem and most people will help with layouts if you ask.

aron

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 05:02:33 PM »
>Looks like I'm stuck with the vero...cant seem to get perf in the UK very easily.

Check the STORE link above. I just shipped to the UK.

Aron

rogsteels

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 05:33:24 PM »
Cheers Aron,

I haven't looked at the store yet...I'll take a look...I found some perf though....should get it next week

Rog

Projectile

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 07:09:58 AM »
Screw the perfboard. I'd rather use Vero any day.

rogsteels

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 07:05:48 PM »
well I made it and amazingly it works! :icon_biggrin:

Just need to fit the switch and box now

That vero layout is tiny...I need a smaller enclosure!

Scruffie

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »
Sweeet, what did you make in the end? And how did you find the vero, i must +1 on the screwing perf board i find it far too agitating, but it is personal preference.

Well done on the build.

Scruff.

aron

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 09:05:42 PM »
>Screw the perfboard. I'd rather use Vero any day.

That's fine except the reason why I chose perfboard is that so people can learn how to assemble their own projects directly from the schematic. You don't need a vero layout when you use perfboard.

Projectile

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 09:34:07 PM »
>Screw the perfboard. I'd rather use Vero any day.

That's fine except the reason why I chose perfboard is that so people can learn how to assemble their own projects directly from the schematic. You don't need a vero layout when you use perfboard.

I didn't realize what sub-forum this was in. My bad.

Scruffie

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 09:43:58 PM »
Another + 1 on that, didn't realise the sub forum, appologies.

rogsteels

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 12:18:38 PM »
Sweeet, what did you make in the end? And how did you find the vero, i must +1 on the screwing perf board i find it far too agitating, but it is personal preference.

Well done on the build.

Scruff.

I made the NPN boost with French connections vero layout.

It works really well...too well really....there is tons of gain and get a really good overdrive with gain at about 8, through my fender champ 5watt tube amp. To get this sound though I have to turn everything else down(for the neighbors) and when I hit the bypass I have no volume at all and have to turn everything back up again.

It's my 1st build so I was surprised it all worked as my soldering skills aren't up to much.

Its in a plastic box at the moment so I will look out for something metal to put it in.

Now I need something else to build.......any suggestions?

I would like something similar that distorts more at a lower level

Roger

jacobyjd

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »
Roger,

You could always put some germanium clipping diodes back-to-back to ground before the output.

This should give you some pleasant overdrive. the higher you turn up the volume, the more the booster will crunch :)
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

rogsteels

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 05:05:58 PM »
Cheers for the suggestion Jacob,

I am thinking of building another of these so I will try that. Can you give me a clue as to part numbers for these diodes? I am new to electronics and your suggestion went a bit over my head!

I am not confident yet in adding to circuits as I am just starting to learn how to read them. The problem I would have is where on the board to put them. Hopefully after reading this forum a bit more things will become clearer :icon_confused:

Scruffie

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 09:43:07 PM »
1N34A is the generally classic germanium diode, altough others may have other ideas, as for where to put them, if you look in arons gallery there is a symetrical or asymetrical switching image to go between, sorry for being a tad vague (just signed in quickily) but I hope you find it.