Author Topic: radio interference on bread board  (Read 5713 times)

against88

radio interference on bread board
« on: May 04, 2009, 10:25:04 AM »
hey guys,

i just build a few pedals on bread board thanks to this site+forum (thanks), but was wondering if i should be worried about radio interference while they were on the bread board.  i did the simple boost and a fuzz pedal that both pick up a lot of radio, but if the enclosure (with proper grounding) will eliminate most of that, then i won't sweat it.

(for some reason the OD project didn't as much (if any?) radio interference)

thanks
-will

earthtonesaudio

Re: radio interference on bread board
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 12:18:30 PM »
The enclosure should fix the problem in most cases.

against88

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 08:46:58 PM »
ok cool. i figured it would but wasn't sure if i should be trouble shooting before that stage.  THANKS!

earthtonesaudio

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:03:20 AM »
If you can get rid of the interference while it's still on the breadboard, that's even better.  Try a small value cap (less than 100pF) between collector and base of the first transistor.  Sometimes that will do the trick.

against88

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:08:04 AM »
hey hey, i boxed up the boost pedal and it works and sounds great. it seems like there is a bit of a mid/treble boost, or a low/mid cut perhaps. either way. i like it. but i get lots of radio interference even though it is boxed up. i do think that my apt is especially susceptible to radio (i had radio coming through an LDC mic with the gain up fairly highthe other day, which i never got before).

i haven't tried the 100pf cap between C and B on the transistor yet. i'll check that out. does it effect the audio signal much?

i'm just grounding everything to the sleeves on the in/out jacks... that's all the grounding that can be done, yes?

thanks!
-w