Author Topic: 2: The Schematic and parts list  (Read 335181 times)

ThatHilleyBoy

Re: 2: The Schematic and parts list
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2008, 11:39:28 PM »
alright... well thanks again aron! this is a great forum, extremely helpful!

ThatHilleyBoy

« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2008, 01:45:42 AM »
one more question.. haha! if i were to solder two resistors in series, say, two 1k resistors, would it make a 2k resistor? or is that not how it works at all?

aron

« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »
Yes, 2K but the FAQ says that already :-)

Rawkgod

« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2008, 09:51:45 AM »
Ok, I don't want to sound like a noob[thought I am] But just making sure, We don't need a Circuit board to make this pedal?
Quote from: bioroids
Lol I think the only thing the Coca Cola doesn't do well is to relieve thirst!

aron

« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2008, 01:58:21 PM »
You don't need a printed circuit board, just perfboard. You can get it from the STORE link above.

Rawkgod

« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2008, 03:53:52 PM »
thank you aron  :)

Rawkgod

« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »
ok aron I have just one last question that has to do with all pedals. Do pedals[besides digital pedals] need circuit boards? Or does it just differ among the type of pedal?

Zben3129

« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2008, 07:56:48 PM »
Pedals need their parts to be electrically connected, and this doesn't neccesarily require a board

For most pedals, this means a circuit board of some kind, whether it be simple perfboard, vero, or a special PCB. Boards allow for a solid base for the circuit giving it mechanical stability. Also, boards are easily reproducable and convenient to work with.

Some pedals have circuits with so few parts that they can be wired "point to point". This is a method of attaching components to things like jacks and switches, and attatching components together by themselves.

Zach

Rawkgod

« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2008, 09:53:15 PM »
thank you Zach
 I have also read few things about that I even saw a picture of a guy using a 2X4 as a pedal.  I have also seen schematics of loopers that only have  one resistor and four jacks so I could see how that comes into play. But anyway I just have one last question.
I've gone to

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php

and have seen that some pedals have PCBs.
and I'm just making sure.

Analogue pedals don't need PCBs?
Or
Can they have them, but still do the same thing?

Best Regards  and thanks once again,

Rawkgod

Zben3129

« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »
thank you Zach
 I have also read few things about that I even saw a picture of a guy using a 2X4 as a pedal.  I have also seen schematics of loopers that only have  one resistor and four jacks so I could see how that comes into play. But anyway I just have one last question.
I've gone to

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php

and have seen that some pedals have PCBs.
and I'm just making sure.

Analogue pedals don't need PCBs?
Or
Can they have them, but still do the same thing?

Best Regards  and thanks once again,

Rawkgod

I depends how you define need. Rocket ships technically don't need rocket fuel to get to space, we could just build a giant ladder. But that wouldn't be very practical.

Looking at the practical side of things, anything with an IC (chip) needs a board of some sort. Anything with transistors and no IC's can be wired without a board in various ways, and something with no semicounducters (just resistors and capacitors, and diodes even though they are semiconductors) can be easily wired without a board.

For example:

Board neccesary: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=82&Itemid=26
Board preferable, but very doable without: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=101&Itemid=26
Board not really neccesary at all: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=215&Itemid=26

These aren't concrete rules. For example, the BSIAB2 (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=105&Itemid=26) fits the "board optional" category, as it has no IC's, however it has a high parts count so I would never consider doing this project without a board. I can't imagine anyone else would either but I can't speak for them.

Zach

Rawkgod

« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2008, 02:48:25 PM »
thank you

CrankitUP

« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2009, 11:15:25 AM »
am i getting it right, that the schematic on top is the schematic for the boost-pedal (beginner project, however you call it...)

sorry if this is a stupid question, but it looks so easy

MATT

« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2009, 10:14:19 PM »
Wow this forum explained so much to me. I now have some knowledge of how to read these things and how they work, but i just have one question, what does the 8DIB thing do?

thanks again,
Matt

aron

« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »
Oh, it's just a way to make a transistor socket (3 holes for the transistor to go into). This was before I had transistor sockets. Now I have these:

snappable sockets.

MATT

« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2009, 11:13:41 PM »
oh and what it is powered once you plug the cord into the input jack right. so how would you get a switch on there\

aron

« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2009, 03:27:45 AM »
The input jack is the switch - like most of the pedals out there. Unplug to turn the unit off.

jmclaren

« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2009, 04:28:15 PM »
I have a few 100uf electrolytic caps on hand.  Could I safely substitute one of these for the 22uf cap in the beginner project?

Also, would the tone be significantly effected if I used a tantalum cap in place of the 10uf electrolytic?

Thanks for a great project!

.Mike

« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2009, 06:29:45 PM »
I have a few 100uf electrolytic caps on hand.  Could I safely substitute one of these for the 22uf cap in the beginner project?
You can try it, although I'm not sure how it will impact the sound. If it doesn't sound very good, you could try putting 100uF capacitors in series. Two in series would equal 50uF, three would be 33.3 uF, four would be 25uF, and five would be 20uF.

Also, would the tone be significantly effected if I used a tantalum cap in place of the 10uf electrolytic?
Probably not. According to the wiki entry, tantalum capacitors are electrolytic capacitors, just a different type. The standard can-type are aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

aron

« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2009, 07:19:01 PM »
>Could I safely substitute one of these for the 22uf cap in the beginner project?

Yes you can use it. It will give you more bottom end if the input has bass that extends down. For the guitar, it should be fine.

jmclaren

« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2009, 12:57:16 PM »
Thanks for the replys, guys.  I'm collecting the parts to build this project now.   Does the pot adjust distortion or volume?