Author Topic: 2: The Schematic and parts list  (Read 337330 times)

aron

Re: 2: The Schematic and parts list
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
Volume but at the highest range it will distort.
You can also get all the parts from the STORE link above.

1tczx

« Reply #161 on: December 03, 2009, 10:22:05 PM »
using 2 stereo jacks for input n output wud be fine right guys?>

speghead

« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »
I tried this out right now on breadboard .. I'm using B10k pot is that ok instead of the 5k?  All I'm getting is a ticking noise every .5 second .. guitar plays through it but the pot doesn't seem to affect the boost.. going to double check wiring..

Martz

« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2010, 06:21:01 PM »
I ordered the parts, I don't know which one is the input capacitor (.1uF cap)?
I got nothing like that image.

aron

« Reply #164 on: June 06, 2010, 11:39:30 PM »
The gray small capacitor - like a small square with two leads.

Load3r

« Reply #165 on: June 07, 2010, 10:09:40 AM »
using 2 stereo jacks for input n output wud be fine right guys?>

Stereo jack will work fine for your output. The extra lug won't affect anything. Solder on!  8)

stratomaster15

« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »
I have a question here about the pot. Might be bogus, but why not try!

From the schematic, it looks as though the 5k pot is the feedback stabilizing resistor. Since a lower resistor value here means a lower amount of gain, could I use say a 1k pot to give the pedal lower gain? Would I have to change the value of the 47 uF capacitor if this works?

casablanca

« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2010, 05:19:51 PM »
Can someone please post a pcb layout for this project. Or can someone tell me how to do it? (Please make it easy :D)

.Mike

« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2010, 06:24:40 PM »
Can someone please post a pcb layout for this project. Or can someone tell me how to do it? (Please make it easy :D)

This is the beginner project, which is a series of topics that pretty much walk you right through the process of building the NPN Boost. The next topic in the series is 3: Build Pictorial, which shows you how to build the project on a piece of perf board.

Part of the challenge, fun, and learning experience of building this project is in laying out the components. It also makes the reward-- a working circuit-- that much more rewarding.

:)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

osb_tensor

« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2010, 12:57:16 AM »
ok, so i'm the newest new guy on the block with questions...

i'm not seeming to find all of the parts required for this beginners project at a single spot... is it normal to have to order half of what i need from small bear, half from the diy store and at least one part [if not more] from a 3rd store? i'm afraid i may be misunderstanding something.. such as the 22uF electrolytic capacitor i can't find at either place. am I missing it?

22uF = .022mF  Correct?

I've found .22mF, 2.2mF, and 220mF, but not a single .022mF ... just double checking since i'm new and it's very possible [read: highly likey] that i'm screwing up somewhere.

this thread is great.. i've learned a lot and haven't even done anything yet.. great work guys. much appreciated! thanks for any help in advance

- justin
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:46:15 AM by osb_tensor »

.Mike

« Reply #170 on: October 23, 2010, 03:28:53 AM »
Hi Justin,

Aron was selling kits in the store here at the forum, but it seems he is either out of them, or no longer selling them. You may want to PM him to see if he has any plans to add it back to the store (or he might reply here, since he seems to follow this topic).

You should be able to buy 100% of what you need at Smallbear-- perfboard, jacks, switch, enclosure, and all the other parts.

For the capacitor, Smallbear uses mF for microfarad, commonly abbreviated here as uF or occasionally F or just u. For a 22uF capacitor for this project, you would want something like Smallbear sku 1404, which are $0.20 each. You want 22mF.

Good luck! :)

Mike

aron

« Reply #171 on: October 23, 2010, 04:08:03 AM »
Sorry, I will add the kit back shortly. Just busy dealing with other things right now.

osb_tensor

« Reply #172 on: October 23, 2010, 02:24:01 PM »
ok.. understood, but that leads to another question...

the following is a quote from reply #30 in this thread, is it accurate? this is what I was basing my information off of, but it would be very confusing if one prefix, mF, could have two different meanings. mf = milli and/or micro ?? if this is accurate could someone explain further, if it's inaccurate then I believe i understand the prefixes and will move on..

i've started a reference guide so that i don't have to scroll through pages of replies to find info and this was part of it.. seemed like somewhat important info. I just want to make sure my references are accurate.

milli (mF) 1mF = 0.001F
micro (uF) 1uF = 0.001mF
nano (nF) 1nF = 0.001uF
pico (pF) 1pF = 0.001nF

thanks mike!

- justin
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:28:09 PM by osb_tensor »

.Mike

« Reply #173 on: October 23, 2010, 02:58:28 PM »
Hi Justin,

Yes, what you posted is technically correct. For some reason, though, Smallbear likes to use mF instead of uF. It has created confusion in the past, but that's the way they do it.

Here is a chart that may help you in the future. :)

Mike

osb_tensor

« Reply #174 on: October 23, 2010, 03:15:14 PM »
ah ok.. again thanks for the info. killer thread for beginners!

-j

ianw91

« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2010, 12:27:10 PM »
I guys, looking for a bit of help. I have the circuit built on breadboard. only problem i have is that im not sure how to connect the pot. the diagram shows a capacitor crossing it, does this mean i put a capacitor leg on either side of the pot connection wire? thanks for any help

IIVV145CEO

« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2011, 06:33:34 PM »
What value resistor do I need to hookup the LED?

aron

« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2011, 09:34:44 PM »
Try a 1K and make it larger if it's too bright.

Aron

BarnyardBill

« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2011, 01:55:49 PM »
It could be done with two mono jacks, but a stero jack is useful on the input because the extra lead is used to detect when a guitar cord is inserted; the pedal is only on when a cord is present.

Ok, I was wondering about the stereo jack and why some layouts use two monos.  I guess you could also use a stereo jack as a mono by not using the extra "ring"?  I was building two pedals in one, so I was wondering about this and how it would affect the two in one effect if I switched the order of them.  Going to try it on the breadboard right now!

Bill

aron

« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2011, 01:57:22 PM »
The stereo jack is so that you can turn the power on and off by unplugging the cord.