MOSFET Boost and Rangemaster in same enclosure: series or parallel

Started by walpow, May 07, 2009, 07:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walpow

Long time since I posted here, but I'm back to the soldering iron again ...

I use an Orman MOSFET Boost, which I keep on all the time to "cook" the preamp tubes. Now I'm building a Rangemaster-type boost (GGG negative-ground version) for some nastier '60s stuff, and I plan on housing it and the MOSFET in the same enclosure. The question: should I wire it to switch off the MOSFET when I switch on the Rangemaster, or should I leave the MOSFET on when engaging the Rangemaster? If the latter, which should go first?

Only other dirt pedal in the chain is a Muff-type fuzz; amp is a Traynor YCV20WR (Vox-type).

Thanks,
Nathan

BAARON

If one boost is going to drive the other, I'd probably have the rangemaster driving the MOSFET because it will probably have prettier clipping.

I'd personally give them each their own stomp switch: I like to be able to turn them on individually OR together, without having to twiddle with mini toggles.  Those are easy to break with your feet if you're wearing shoes.
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."

nelson

I don't see the point.

Why not just lower the value if the capacitor to the mosfet boosts gain pot?

That way, you could get a treble boost.

Germanium is over rated.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

walpow

>> I don't see the point.
The point is to have two different sounds. The first, with the MOSFET, not really a sound at all, but simply an oomph for the amp. The second, with the Rangemaster, a dose of trebley goodness.

>> Why not just lower the value if the capacitor to the mosfet boosts gain pot?
Sorry - I can figure out where wires need to go, but as far as which cap does what to who, I'm not your guy.

>> That way, you could get a treble boost.
Understood. But then I lose my "regular" sound.

>> Germanium is over rated.
I'm willing to be convinced.

Thanks,
Nathan

walpow

>> If one boost is going to drive the other, I'd probably have the rangemaster driving the MOSFET because it will probably have prettier clipping.
Thanks for the opinion. Sounds reasonable. Anyone else?

>> I'd personally give them each their own stomp switch: I like to be able to turn them on individually OR together, without having to twiddle with mini toggles.  Those are easy to break with your feet if you're wearing shoes.
I envision one stomp and one toggle (though I'm mindful of your warning regarding the toggle). I see this pedal as always on under normal circumstances, but I want to be able to bypass it if I ever need to. Thus the 3PDT toggle, which is a whole lot smaller than a stomp (I'm trying to do this in a small enclosure) and can, I hope, be tucked away somewhere it won't be vulnerable, to be used rarely if ever. The stomp would switch the Rangemaster on; it would be wired either to put it in series with the MOSFET (probably before it, as you suggest) or to bypass the MOSFET when the Rangemaster is on. Your idea to be able to turn them on individually OR together has appeal, but I wonder if for my purposes it might be overkill. Although now that you've got me thinking about it, it does sound worthwhile.

Wait ... if you're wearing shoes? Who treads on their pedalboard in stocking feet? Is this some European thing?

Thanks,
Nathan

aziltz

>> The point is to have two different sounds. The first, with the MOSFET, not really a sound at all, but simply an oomph for the amp. The second, with the Rangemaster, a dose of trebley goodness.

The input cap governs the treble response.

>>Sorry - I can figure out where wires need to go, but as far as which cap does what to who, I'm not your guy.

Why not try out the input cap value of the rangemaster in the mosfet boost? make them footswitchable...

>> That way, you could get a treble boost.
>>Understood. But then I lose my "regular" sound.
Not if they're both on stomps.

>> Germanium is over rated.
>>I'm willing to be convinced.
make sure you take the time to get the matched Ge mojo!

walpow

I had a Ge treble boost (HBE Germania) a while back and really liked it. I  shouldn't have sold it. I want that sound again. So, with all due respect to those suggesting otherwise, I'm going to build (actually have half-built) a Rangemaster clone. As far as my Orman MOSFET boost, I'm very happy with it as is. I'm warming to BAARON's idea of a separate stomp for each, giving the option of either or both in the chain. Then the problem reduces to (there's an expression I haven't used in about forty years) which one gets wired first in the chain within the joint enclosure. Anybody besides BAARON have thoughts on that? At the moment, what he says (Rangemaster driving the MOSFET) makes sense, but before I wire the thing up I'd like to see if anyone has an alternate opinion.

Thanks,
Nathan