WOOHOO!! I scored an RE-201 spring reverb for 99p

Started by GREEN FUZ, May 08, 2009, 12:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GREEN FUZ

Oh, I`m sorry, did I say RE-201, I meant RA-201. Nevertheless it is a spring reverb. Designed for CB use. I wasted no time in adding the guitar jacks and an 0.1uf cap on the input. The reverb time was extremely short so I swapped the 5k pot for a 470k which dramatically improved the length. Unfortunately it sounds very muddy when maxed. I`m thinking of adding some sort of wet/dry mix control. Any suggestions on how to implement this? I guess I need to employ an audio probe and trace where the signal is effected by the spring. As the unit was originally intended for the human voice, and has additional components for its intended use, I`m wondering whether to just use the spring unit and add a seperate circuit to drive it.

Thoughts/opinions welcomed.

sean k

I'm looking into reverbs at the moment and theres another thread with lots of places to find info. But what you gotta do is wipe of lots of bass from your signal and let the highs do the work. The bass frequencies are too strong going through the springs so they mud everything else out so high pass on the signal in. Maybe 1.5k or higher.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

Nasse

I have had for years very similar lookin tank, It is so small it can fit on top of cd, aluminium base is 75 mm long and overall length is 10 cm. I thin they might be made in same factory or be same, though mine has different numbers inked on aluminium base. I think it is made in Japan. I have one slight longer tank too which is same origin. I have "data sheet" for it somewhere but could not find it yesterday

Never used it for anything, but because surf´s up, been thinkin to make biggish plywood box and put a power supply and guitar preamp and few tanks there, and perhaps pt2955 ping pong delay and I like that Belton solid state unit too, and fake stereo too.

I have thought that short tank might sound bit different, perhaps I could try if it works for upper mids and highs, (not very high I know). Graig Anderton "mudguard" circuit (steep highpass filter) might be nice with these
  • SUPPORTER

biggy boy

Hey that tank looks like mine!

I'm trying to figure out how to drive mine with OpAmps.

Glen

jomaco

Hi green fuz, did you ever get this working for your guitar? If so which modifications did you make in the end?

Cheers