Where do you order enclosures?

Started by spargo, May 12, 2011, 01:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedefog

I'm in North Jersey, so Small Bear gets to me within 3-4 days.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: CynicalMan on May 14, 2011, 08:23:26 AM
I'd just like to expand a bit on my previous post. Firstly, I don't like the hole locations on their pre-drilled enclosures, but I always use the custom drilling service. They do the drilling with a CNC and it is extremely accurate. As long as you communicate exactly what you want, you will get it. Also, I've never found them unreasonably slow. I usually get orders from Small Bear (to Canada) in 1.5 to 2 weeks without any custom parts. PPP takes around 3 weeks for a custom painted and drilled enclosure. For such a great service, the wait is worth it.

I used to build pedals for a small boutique outfit and they got their pre-drilled silkscreened enclosures from PPP. Out of probably 500-600 units I have built using their enclosures, I've never had issues with holes not being in the right place. I have, however, had issues with little nubs on the castings (inside the enclosure) being a little high and causing the pot shafts to be leaning from the vertical. But that's not PPP's fault, it was cast that way. In those cases, if it was bad enough, I'd have to grind the enclosure inside to correct the problem.

aflynt

For what it's worth, I ordered a custom color 1590NS (no drilling) from PPP on Friday and it arrived today via USPS Priority Mail. The finish looks spectacular too.

-Aaron

spargo

I must be unlucky then.  My most recent order was placed 3 weeks ago and has not shipped yet.  When emailing them, they said that on average (if they're not super busy - and they said they are not right now) it should take about 1 week for custom painted and drilled enclosures if they didn't have to make adjustments to your template.  This leaves me wondering why a week has passed three times over now...same thing happened last time I ordered a few painted enclosures.

Blatant

PPP. Paint was excelent, didn't realise there was a quality difference between the NS etc. It was fast enough considering its custom made and overseas shipped.
my 5mm led hole was 5mm. I specified for one of those chrome LED holders and ordered it in the same order. I had to get a file out and widen the hole to fit the holder in.  I guess they're good in some aspects, and not as good in others.
I suck at painting, and drilling as I lack equipment, and paint skills, which actually ended up not mattering because I still had to clearcoat the decals in so I stuffed their nice finish up anyway haha.
Maybe next time I'll completely DIY..

spargo

Just to follow up, I finally got my order from Pedal Parts Plus today.  Total time from ordering was 24 days, and that was for 10 enclosures painted and drilled.

The bad: long wait.

The good: INCREDIBLE paint job, as always.  Drilling is spot on (I provided a very specific template).  Definitely cannot beat this quality.  The aqua black illusion color is ridiculously awesome. :)  Overall I would highly recommend.  The staff is also great to communicate with - always very personal and helpful.

Seven64

+1 for mammoth, but i only order from them based on price.

trixdropd

Quote from: spargo on May 20, 2011, 02:30:10 AM
Just to follow up, I finally got my order from Pedal Parts Plus today.  Total time from ordering was 24 days, and that was for 10 enclosures painted and drilled.

The good: INCREDIBLE paint job, as always.  Drilling is spot on (I provided a very specific template).  Definitely cannot beat this quality.  The aqua black illusion color is ridiculously awesome. :)  Overall I would highly recommend.  The staff is also great to communicate with - always very personal and helpful.
Do they drill before painting? Can you post some pics of the enclosures as you received them?

CynicalMan

I think they paint before drilling on nearly all of their finishes. The only one I've seen where they drilled first was a Blue Anodized box, but that finish is very thin so it's not an issue.

Barcode80

Quote from: mremic01 on May 12, 2011, 05:27:02 PM
4site sells enclosures through their ebaystore. They come in lots of 5 or 10 though.
FYI, Mammoth is a 4site distributor, and you can order in singles.

spargo

Quote from: trixdropd on May 20, 2011, 03:11:54 PM

Do they drill before painting? Can you post some pics of the enclosures as you received them?

Definitely appear to be drilled BEFORE painting, as the paint covers the insides of the holes also.  Makes for an extra clean finish.

trixdropd

Quote from: spargo on May 20, 2011, 06:24:16 PM
Quote from: trixdropd on May 20, 2011, 03:11:54 PM

Definitely appear to be drilled BEFORE painting, as the paint covers the insides of the holes also.  Makes for an extra clean finish.
Sweet. that's what i was hoping for. Thanks!

kirs

Small Bear gets to me the next day :D  NYC.  Just for that I usually order from them.  I like their 1590NS enclosures.

jimosity

Mammoth is great, but they get their enclosures from 4SITE, so you might as well get them from 4SITE.
They are the best price on enclosures and many other parts too.
I've done comparison shopping on all my parts from 4SITE, Mammoth, PPP, FXconn, Digikey, Jameco, Mouser, etc.
4SITE usually beats them all, but some times a random part is better priced elsewhere.
Sometimes they will match prices.
I don't go thru their ebay store, deal with them directly and they'll do ya good.
Jim Rodgers
jim@americanhc.com

spargo

Quote from: jimosity on May 25, 2011, 09:43:51 AM
Mammoth is great, but they get their enclosures from 4SITE, so you might as well get them from 4SITE.
They are the best price on enclosures and many other parts too.
I've done comparison shopping on all my parts from 4SITE, Mammoth, PPP, FXconn, Digikey, Jameco, Mouser, etc.
4SITE usually beats them all, but some times a random part is better priced elsewhere.
Sometimes they will match prices.
I don't go thru their ebay store, deal with them directly and they'll do ya good.

I agree, Mammoth usually has the best prices out of anywhere.  But with enclosures they don't offer as many options or as high of quality as Pedal Parts Plus.

And with everything else, I seem to be having bad luck.  One time they forgot to include $20 of switches in my order, and most recently a handful of locking nuts for some switches.  I email them, and it's about 50/50 if they ever reply to me.  I'll give them a couple more chances, but I can't keep having things left out of my order.

jaysg

I bought a number of painted boxes from PPP and I was not happy with the results.  I didn't specify templates, so it's mostly my fault, but you need to know that the 1090 and 125 jacks, DC, and footswitch holes are not optimized at all.  I expected that they would be.   Customers have figured out how big 9V batteries are and put he 3pdt switch hole as close as possible, but not too close.  Same deal the side jacks.   There's slop and I had to re-allocate most of the 7 boxes I bought.   Shipping charges should correlate to real charges for that matter.   With their structure, I will never make a small order, which means I may not ever use them again.

I found the gloss paint jobs to be fair and the one hammertone really nice.   The boxes could have used some sanding -- not to high gloss, but smoother than stock.

In contrast, i think small bear's shipping structure is very fair to the diy community and his powder coated boxes are decent.  I wish he had more colors and finishes.