orange squeezer pickup problem !?!?

Started by 1878, May 12, 2009, 06:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone...

I'm gonna build an Orange Squeezer. I've read that it's best to have the internal trimpot because you have a 'sweet spot' that you wont want to change. I've also read that you have to set the trimpot differently for single coils/humbuckers. Is this correct ??

If so, what would be the best way to do this ?? I'm thinking two trimpots via a DPDT. Any other ideas ??

Thanks in advance.

doc_drop

If I think I might want to adjust the trim pot often, I use a regular pot and put it on the outside of the box. In certain circuits this can be very useful. You can always try the trimmer first, and if it sounds like you'll want to be able to adjust it easily, go with a regular pot.

You can tell people you redisigned the circuit for more mojo that way...

FlyingZ

My strat, tele, and LesPaul all sound really good with one setting. The sweet spot was obvious on the two I built.

oldrocker

Yes the trim should be a set and forget.  There is always the matter of opinion but I would keep it as a trim since an external knob might be bumped or turned by accident.  I never touched the trim since the first time I set it up.  The other option would be to measure the resistance on the different setting and use resisters to toggle between them using a switch.

I've just played my Jaguar, SG and Flying V through my Dynacomp. There was a definate difference between the Jaguar and SG/Flying V. I'm gonna have to build the Orange Squeezer and do a few experiments with it. First impressions would be that I'd need some sort of adjustment for different guitars, but I'd have to wait until I've built it to see how much.