Tap Tempo LFO with PIC 16F684

Started by ElectricDruid, May 13, 2009, 05:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JKowalski

Here's another version of the code edited to include a new feature, if anyone wants to use it:

RA2, or pin 8, the previously unused pin, now functions as a wave selection switch. When you bring pin 8 low, then the waveform changes to the next one. Attach a footswitch to this pin (just like the tap tempo) and you can cycle through all the different waveforms with your foot. The waveform selection potentiometer works as before. When you turn the wave knob, the wave changes to the value signified by the knob. If you ever hit the switch, the waveform goes to the next one over from the one selected by the knob. Keep hitting it and everytime it goes to the next one.

Here's a .rar file with the new ASM code and an assembled HEX file.

EDIT: Just realized it's my iconic 555th post! Hooray for timers!

flo

JKowalski

Here
is another "mod". I ported the basic tap tempo functions over to an 8-Pin uC, the PIC12F683. It's basically just to have tap tempo without the LFO portion of the chip. I am making a universal tap controller for all my TAPLFO pedals and I didn't want to waste space using a 14-pin chip loaded with features I did not need. It uses the internal 8mHz oscillator in the chip, no crystal.  It's rough right now, I am sure there are things I did not fully consider while porting as I did not design the chip and do not fully know all the bits of it. But it works perfectly to my eyes. And I am not to worried about building with it because it's so easy to reprogram and update it.

I was considering porting a stripped down LFO code to the PIC12F683 as well. I know this was asked earlier, and Electric Druid said no because program memory and the PWM module are necessities, but there are chips out there that do meet the needs - for example, the PIC12F683. It has the same PWM capabilities and the same amount of program memory as the PIC16F684! 4 A/D channels.

So, that makes 4 pins available (two for power, two for the 20mHz crystal). Now, two pins need to be the TAP INPUT and the LFO OUTPUT, so that leaves only 2 pins for CV controls... The level CV can be set at max and done analog style outside the chip, so that's not a priority...

Speed & Waveform?

Waveform & Multiplier?

Is this even worth doing, with the limited control capability? Anyone interested?

FINALLY I just want to thank Electric Druid again for this code. It is unbelievably useful, your generosity is astounding, and I have to say modifying your code and reading through it a hundred times has taught me a ton about PIC and asm. I think working backwards like this is one of the best ways to learn these kinds of things.  :icon_biggrin:

OH: And I thought I might as well post my first completed project with the TAPLFO chip on here. Tremolo, with tap sync jacks & the multiplier pot in the rear.

flo

Wauw, you're really cookin'!  8)

Good find on the 8 pins PIC12F683. Should make a port to a small IC possible without large code changes I guess. "Just" change the ports/pins to use and the destination PIC library. ;)

If we have two controls left my current choice would be:
1) Waveform. Got to have it!
2) Speed, for a manual speed option (preferably by footpedal).
Closely followed indeed by:
3) Multiplier, for changing the rate in a "tempo related manner".

Imo, if this is made as simple (few options and thus few external hardware like pots) and small (8pins DIP) as possible, people will be more inclined to simply add it to a design or an existing build.

But as always having to choose which options to have and which to drop makes me want them all and needing the full 14 pins version. ;)  ::)

JKowalski

Here is the TAPLFO on the PIC12F683.... Version "B". This one has the multiplier CV and the waveform CV. Version "A" will have the Tempo and Wave CV's.

Next one, maybe tomorrow. Doesn't take hardly any time at all.

Pinout for PIC12F683 TAPLFO Version "B":

1. V+
2 & 3. 20mHz Clock Crystal
4. Tap Input
5. PWM LFO Out
6. Waveform Select CV 0-5
7. Multiplier CV 0-3.75
8. V-

DOWNLOAD LINK

Pinout for PIC12F683 Tap Controller (Previous post):

1. V+
2. Tap Indicator LED
3. Clock Out
4. Tap Input
5. Unused
6. Multiplier CV 0-3.75
7. Tempo CV 0-5
8. V-

DOWNLOAD LINK

I just want to use those crystal I/O pins so bad!  :icon_eek:

Am I putting out too many options?   :icon_lol:

G. Hoffman

Quote from: JKowalski on January 07, 2010, 10:12:56 PM
Here is the TAPLFO on the PIC12F683.... Version "B". This one has the multiplier CV and the waveform CV. Version "A" will have the Tempo and Wave CV's.

Next one, maybe tomorrow. Doesn't take hardly any time at all.

Pinout for PIC12F683 TAPLFO Version "B":

1. V+
4. Tap Input
5. PWM LFO Out
7. Multiplier CV 0-3.75
8. V-

DOWNLOAD LINK

Pinout for PIC12F683 Tap Controller (Previous post):

1. V+
2. Tap Indicator LED
3. Clock Out
4. Tap Input
5. Unused
6. Multiplier CV 0-3.75
7. Tempo CV 0-5
8. V-

DOWNLOAD LINK

I just want to use those crystal I/O pins so bad!  :icon_eek:

Am I putting out too many options?   :icon_lol:

None of your download links are working for me.  I just get a File Dropper home page.

Gabriel

JKowalski

Woops.

I don't host files very often. I guess filedropper doesn't keep the files very long

Here they are on MEGAUPLOAD for now, does anyone know a place to host small files for a long time, free?

TAP TEMPO uC

TAPLFO 8-PIN

TAPLFO 14-PIN WITH WAVESWITCH

I was working on a website a while back maybe I should finish that up - hosting small files like these won't be a problem on it.

Skruffyhound

Thanks Chris, downloads working now.

G. Hoffman

Quote from: JKowalski on January 08, 2010, 12:08:04 PM
Woops.

I don't host files very often. I guess filedropper doesn't keep the files very long

Here they are on MEGAUPLOAD for now, does anyone know a place to host small files for a long time, free?

TAP TEMPO uC

TAPLFO 8-PIN

TAPLFO 14-PIN WITH WAVESWITCH

I was working on a website a while back maybe I should finish that up - hosting small files like these won't be a problem on it.

Thanks!

I'm working on some other stuff right now, but I want to have these when I get around to needing them.

Gabriel

flo

Hmm the new download links on megaupload give me:
"The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable" :(

Edit:
After trying a few times and waiting a bit they became available again! :) Thanks!

Standing by for "version A" ... ;)

JKowalski

Quote from: flo on January 09, 2010, 12:45:10 PM
Hmm the new download links on megaupload give me:
"The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable" :(

Edit:
After trying a few times and waiting a bit they became available again! :) Thanks!

Standing by for "version A" ... ;)

I will have my (barebones) website up today or tomorrow so we don't have to deal with all this.

Oh, and I nearly forgot about version A! I'll do that right now.

JKowalski

...Right after I spend the entire day cleaning the house  :icon_neutral:

Here it is.v

Pinout for PIC12F683 TAPLFO Version "A":

1. V+
4. Tap Input
5. PWM LFO Out
7. Tempo CV 0-5
8. V-

DOWNLOAD LINK

My website should be up soon, its complete but my hosting service is giving me a 24-hour waiting period before I can work with it.

If you have any problems with the chips, tell me and I will fix it.

JKowalski

Alright, my website is up at strangedesigncs.heliohost.org

The downloads are up as well, except for the waveform select switch because I need to do a pinout diagram for it. That's my next thing on the list to do. It should be there in half an hour or so.  

EDIT: It's up.

Skruffyhound

Your site works fine for my mac.
I liked your art gallery, and nice tip on the vactrols. The clock on the home page is strangely pleasing.
Looking forward to pop by from time to time.
You are bookmarked :icon_biggrin:

flo

Site looks great, I downloaded all the stuff again for the pinout images. Thanks again!

potul

Site does not work for me. Is it down?

G. Hoffman

Quote from: potul on January 13, 2010, 12:59:05 PM
Site does not work for me. Is it down?

Just worked fine for me.

Gabriel

potul

I realized today that the site is not working in my Google Chrome. If I use IE, everything is fine.

Regards,

Potul