It's possible to wire 3 Big Muffs in a single box using only 3 pots?

Started by gigimarga, May 14, 2009, 05:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

Do the differences in the input stage actually matter sonically (other than the input/coupling caps)? I mean, it's a simple booster, and whatever distortions are taking place in that stage are getting swamped downstream. If not, why not share the input stage and sustain pot, and do your switching after that. Same question for the recovery. Seems to me that the sonically significant differences are mainly in the two clipping stages (transistors, source resistors, diodes & coupling caps) and the tone stack, so that's where you would have your redundant circuits and switching. Maybe put them on daughter boards that plug into end-connectors so you can fool around with it.
  • SUPPORTER

ninjaaron

I can't believe nobody has suggested relays yet. ???

You could wire up a cheap(ish) SP3T switch to turn power on or off as many relays as you like.

This seems like the obvious way to go, from my perspective.

gigimarga

Quote from: Ben N on May 18, 2009, 04:20:43 PM
Do the differences in the input stage actually matter sonically (other than the input/coupling caps)? I mean, it's a simple booster, and whatever distortions are taking place in that stage are getting swamped downstream. If not, why not share the input stage and sustain pot, and do your switching after that. Same question for the recovery. Seems to me that the sonically significant differences are mainly in the two clipping stages (transistors, source resistors, diodes & coupling caps) and the tone stack, so that's where you would have your redundant circuits and switching. Maybe put them on daughter boards that plug into end-connectors so you can fool around with it.

I thought about this, but i found too much differences between the stages, and, let's say, i want the original sound as much as possible...thx a lot anyway for your suggestion!

gigimarga

Quote from: ninjaaron on May 19, 2009, 01:36:55 AM
I can't believe nobody has suggested relays yet. ???

You could wire up a cheap(ish) SP3T switch to turn power on or off as many relays as you like.

This seems like the obvious way to go, from my perspective.

Thx for your answer too...i thought about relays, but i think i don't have enough space in the box.

ninjaaron

Mouser has 'Omron GK6 Series: Ultra Small 1A DPDT Low Signal relays' You can get them PCB mount, and they are like 10x6.5x5.2mm

Really, mouser has a lot of tiny relays. I'm kinda in awe at the price some people pay for a single switch that does nothing more than what an SP switch and a couple cheap relays would.

Frantone was hip to this, and incorperated relay based switching into several of her designs, I belive.

Relays will probably eat batteries pretty fast, but who's using batteries these days anyway?

Ben N

Some of the new Way Huge/Dunlop pedals have relay switching.
  • SUPPORTER

gigimarga

Quote from: ninjaaron on May 19, 2009, 04:28:30 PM
Relays will probably eat batteries pretty fast, but who's using batteries these days anyway?

MEEE...when i'm playing at home i am enough lazy to use batteries... ::)