GGG has a new reverb kit!

Started by mth5044, May 15, 2009, 09:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Heisenberg

Another thing, this is the only pedal i have thy doesnt hum or buzz when powering a pedal.

Even the noisy one spot which everyone seems to love an get no noise with gives me the worst out of any ive tried. I have filtering in my pedals fo it but i still get hum. But the one spot is quiet(er) through this unit. Strange.
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

Paul Marossy

Quote from: El Heisenberg on June 22, 2009, 08:33:15 PM
Another thing, this is the only pedal i have thy doesnt hum or buzz when powering a pedal.

Even the noisy one spot which everyone seems to love an get no noise with gives me the worst out of any ive tried. I have filtering in my pedals fo it but i still get hum. But the one spot is quiet(er) through this unit. Strange.

You must be consistently not doing something right then. With proper grounding and properly regulated power supplies, you shouldn't have any problems with hum like that...

AndyG

Is there any way to add a dwell and tone pot to this circuit?

Andy

ppatchmods

i'm sure the tone pot will work, but the dwell is fixed...but you can buy a replacement brick from smallbear with longer sustain. i'm not sure if the circuit has to be modified though? ???
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

El Heisenberg

Maybe it is me doin something consistantly wrong

Like what?

I did mention that on batteries they run totally quiet.

El Heisenberg

Some pedals will rin quiet on an adapter, but with a daisy chain they will not. The ony pedal i power with wall wart is the digi verb. Cus it works even with the one spot! (there is still a noticable
noise with the one spot that i dont get with my normal phone charger adapter i use.

So no theories on my op amp
blowing? Over night, while it was off and working when i last turned it off?

Nitefly182

It didn't blow while it was off. It blew when you turned it back on. Perhaps there was a surge in power or some static discharge that caused a problem.

polifemo

Just built mine  :)

Totally dead in every respect  :icon_cry:

I suck  :icon_redface:

Paul Marossy

Quote from: polifemo on June 24, 2009, 07:00:27 AM
Just built mine  :)

Totally dead in every respect  :icon_cry:

I suck  :icon_redface:

Check to see if your opamps aren't in backwards. And double check all of your caps and resistors against the PCB layout.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: El Heisenberg on June 23, 2009, 11:57:14 PM
Some pedals will rin quiet on an adapter, but with a daisy chain they will not. The ony pedal i power with wall wart is the digi verb. Cus it works even with the one spot! (there is still a noticable
noise with the one spot that i dont get with my normal phone charger adapter i use.

So no theories on my op amp
blowing? Over night, while it was off and working when i last turned it off?

Huh. I've never had a problem with daisy chaining the power supply on my pedalboards. I have two different pedalboards in use now, and both of them are very quiet, and both of them have a daisy chained power supply.

One of my boards has three different power supplies on it. All of the 9V stuff is daisy chained. The Shaka Tube runs off a 13VAC adapter and my DigiTech Jam Man also has its own power 1.3A power supply. No problems whatsoever with hum or noise in spite of everything having a common signal ground...

AndyG

Also be sure to check the values of all the componets from ggg I have not got a kit that was completely right.

Andy

El Heisenberg

Also the op amps might be blown, make a probe and see. If you socketed them you could switch em out.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: AndyG on June 24, 2009, 10:41:48 AM
Also be sure to check the values of all the componets from ggg I have not got a kit that was completely right.

Andy

I double checked every component before I stuck them on the PCB. I don't like to troubleshoot and desolder if I can help it.  :icon_wink:

And there is always the human error component, with either some wrong value parts in the kit or making a mistake when assembling it...

AndyG

Double check your jacks op amps switch and the diode in the power section.
Don't feel bad I built the kit closed it up powered it up and I had put hte led in backwards.

Andy

Paul Marossy

Quote from: AndyG on June 24, 2009, 12:06:58 PM
Double check your jacks op amps switch and the diode in the power section.
Don't feel bad I built the kit closed it up powered it up and I had put hte led in backwards.

Andy

Yeah, I've had the backwards LED thing bite me in the rear a few times, too.

petemoore

Yeah, I've had the backwards LED thing bite me in the rear a few times, too.
  I started choosing and coupling the limiting resistor right to the LED, that way I know...wait...which side of the LED did I put the 3k3 on ?...shoot !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

polifemo

Thanks for the encouraging words guys  :icon_razz:

At the moment I don't have the time to go over my build, but I'll have a look tomorrow.

If I have wired the LED wrong (would that result in both "no sound" and "no light"?) will it then be broken?

PS I did check the resistor values before soldering the board, and everything was OK.DS

Update.

Found the problem.

The "color code" of the layout (Hermida) doesn't correspond with the instructions of the reverb.

Look at the red/black pair going to the DC jack.

I soldered the circuit board according to the verb instructions and then I wired it according to the (colors) of the layout.
Stupid, yes but it can easily happen.

The verb works now, but as I suspected it sounds way to much like a spring reverb (as intended, I know  :icon_wink:) for my taste.
It was worth a try though.
Back to my lovely hall/plate rack reverbs 8)

Paul Marossy

Quote from: polifemo on June 24, 2009, 02:23:35 PM
If I have wired the LED wrong (would that result in both "no sound" and "no light"?) will it then be broken?

That would result in no sound and your LED would also not light up. The rest of circuit would be fine, it just wouldn't be getting any power because the LED was in backwards.

polifemo

As I seem to be the only one underwhelmed by the sound of this reverb, I suppose that the following won't be of much interest  :icon_wink:

Anyhow, when I compared the sound of this unit with the sound of the spring reverb in one of my amps it became obvious that the pedal reacts to much to trancients and that the sound was anemic and sterile somehow. I also would have preferred the Belton module with the longest decay as I find that the decay by the medium module to be to short.

Looking at the original schematic by Brian Neunaber: http://www.neunabertechnology.com/BTDR1 as well as the data sheet of the Belton brick it became obvious that what I needed to do was to tweak two resistors:
R1 and R3 on the Neunaber schem/R4 and R6 on the Hermida schem)

I started by removing R1 (R4 on the Hermida schem) which resulted in a much more "free sounding" reverb (IMHO)
I'm still tweaking R3 (R6 on the Hermida schem) for the right value.

The sound of the reverb is now warmer/fuller/bigger (and somehow also longer) and the only drawback is that the mix knob now is much more touchy.

I still plan to use the reverb quite subtle, but to me this "warmer/fuller/bigger/longer-sound" is more musical and more usable.

Others may disagree.

El Heisenberg

R talking about opening up the brick and modding it?