GGG has a new reverb kit!

Started by mth5044, May 15, 2009, 09:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppatchmods

they do make the chip in short, medium, and long reverb. that could have something to do with it. i have the kit and wonder if i can add a pot to adjust the decay(length) of the reverb?
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

iaresee

Nuts. I thought it was going to be digital. :(

ppatchmods

here is the schematic: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/ReverbPedalSchematic.pdf
any thoughts on where to add a pot for decay or length of reverb? you can add a tone pot also but that might be overkill.

John Lyons

There are only external connections for in and out as well as power.
You'll have to crack it open and figure out the rest... :icon_eek:

john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

iaresee

Quote from: iaresee on May 20, 2009, 12:34:07 PM
Nuts. I thought it was going to be digital. :(
I'm an idiot - it is digital, but the algorithm is fixed to emulate springs. Oh well...

iaresee

Quote from: ppatchmods on May 20, 2009, 03:37:54 PM
here is the schematic: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/ReverbPedalSchematic.pdf
any thoughts on where to add a pot for decay or length of reverb? you can add a tone pot also but that might be overkill.

Decay time is a fixed property of the module. According to the data sheet here:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/BTDR-1H.pdf

You can buy it with a short, medium or long decay.

mnordbye

Anybody know when GGG will start selling the PCBs for this project? Sounds wicked!
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

ppatchmods

they aren't going to sell the pcb's because the circuit is a shared project with another pedal maker

petemoore

5v supply...
  [and 9v for the other amps].
  The only mystery I have is how well will the 5v module accept signal inputs, much hotter than guitar PU's.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ppatchmods

I built it up lastnight. very fender-ish. It doesn't sound as thick but it's not tube driven eaither  :icon_biggrin: It is a real nice sounding reverb but i'm no expert. It's not my old '65 gibson ga30rvt or my fender SR but somewhere in the middle.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: ppatchmods on May 22, 2009, 10:17:52 AM
I built it up lastnight. very fender-ish. It doesn't sound as thick but it's not tube driven eaither  :icon_biggrin: It is a real nice sounding reverb but i'm no expert. It's not my old '65 gibson ga30rvt or my fender SR but somewhere in the middle.

Hmm.... I might have to get this one. I've been wanting to get a reverb pedal, and a DIY one would be even cooler.

culturejam

Quote from: ppatchmods on May 20, 2009, 10:47:25 PM
they aren't going to sell the pcb's because the circuit is a shared project with another pedal maker

Indeed. If you look at the layout PDF at GGG, in the bottom right it says "PCB Artwork Copyright 2009 Hermida Engineering".

It's a Zen-Verb!!!  :D

ppatchmods

yeah. JD worked with the guys over at Hermida on this one. That's why they aren't selling just the pcb's...you have to buy the kit. The pcb has a surface pount part to solder on the back side so it would be hard to etch too. Hey, 65$ was worth it to me. My mazeratti need the verb!

Kitarist

Taylor

Quote from: Kitarist on May 22, 2009, 06:42:30 PM
anyone tried it yet

Quote from: ppatchmods on May 22, 2009, 10:17:52 AM

ahermida

Initially I designed a reverb circuit based on the module for a friend.  The results were very good and he ordered additional units.  I then decided to make a pedal version.  Eventually JD and I discussed the possibility of making a kit based on Brian Neunaber's original design (Brian is the designer of the circuit inside the reverb module itself).  The main idea was to make it accesible to everyone and inexpensive.  

The pcb layout was made so that people could build more or less Brian's original design and experiment with mods.  I selected the 5V regulator as a surface mount to minimize space and keep a low profile.  It is easy to solder.   I normally tend to design very compact but because the board is soldered directly to the reverb module pins I decided to make the board a little larger than I normally do.  

Brian's approach is very interesting.  Most implementations using alternate chips use the built in code (which was normally meant to be just a simple demo) as the final code.  Brian followed a different route.  I don't know if he visits this forum but if he does he could chime in.  

Anyways, those of you that get the kit have fun with it and if you have mods let JD Sleep or myself know.

Alf

puretube

Quote from: ahermida on May 22, 2009, 09:03:09 PM
...I don't know if he visits this forum but if he does he could chime in.  ...
Alf

Yes...

Paul Marossy

I haven't seen one of those reverb bricks before. Very interesting idea...

brett

Hi
re: impedance
10k input impedance?  Is that for the chip?  The GGG schematic has 1 Mohm.  Output impedance is a low 600ohms, so you could drive anything with it.

re: 5V reg and signal size.
Pete, you could put a log (volume) pot after the input buffer. Any low value (e.g. 10kA) would do the trick.

This project potentially makes some cheap reverbless amps a lot more attractive (I'm thinking Epi junior head for one).
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Paul Marossy

QuoteThis project potentially makes some cheap reverbless amps a lot more attractive (I'm thinking Epi junior head for one).
cheers

I wonder if you could add it to a tube amp as well? And more importantly, if it would sound any good.