GGG has a new reverb kit!

Started by mth5044, May 15, 2009, 09:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

I'm a spring reverb fiend, and for me, this would be no substitute in an amp, when it would be easy to do the real thing.

Now, if you need reverb in a stompbox, this might be a great solution, but when you have an amp with all that space inside, a real spring reverb isn't hard to do at all.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Taylor on May 25, 2009, 12:45:14 PM
I'm a spring reverb fiend, and for me, this would be no substitute in an amp, when it would be easy to do the real thing.

Now, if you need reverb in a stompbox, this might be a great solution, but when you have an amp with all that space inside, a real spring reverb isn't hard to do at all.

I've never tried to add reverb to an amp before. I have a little amp from the 60s that I think would sound real nice with reverb added to it.

Taylor

I guess it also depends how much reverb you really use. Some people just like a tiny bit, and for those people the difference may not matter. But when you want a real surf-y sound, real springs make a difference.

And FYI, I'm totally anti-mojo, don't buy into the "golden ear" tweako BS.

Paul Marossy

To my ears, the standard is the reverb on the Fender Twin Reverb. I just love that reverb sound.  :icon_razz:

petemoore

Not to split hairs, but this 5w tube-recto-reverb with long 2spring accutronics is a big tank tone.
  I speculate one reason the Twin is known such a fine reverb amp is because the amp will almost not distort.
  Not to say distortion-reverbsdistortions can't be a fine sound, but the boost pushed the springs harder, the harmonically rich signal may do that too, combine that with an amp that distorts...gets mushy and ill defined on command.
  Reverb-amp.
  Distortion-amp.
  By the time I get all the speakers/amps/reverbs/distortions going, I have a 2x12'' box, large reverb box, a couple amp head boxes, a pedalboard...
  I'm strongly inclined to believe a little bit of 'wetness' [be it spring generated or echo-based] goes a long way to fatten up an otherwise dry amplifier. The chip-reverb certainly does lend itself to being lightwieght, compact, hardwired, easy to PS small amplifer accessory/feature.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

neunaber

Let me clear up a few misconceptions about the Belton module...

The module per se is not an emulation of a spring or anything else.  It's just a very basic reverb, albeit one that uses a different algorithm than most.  It just so happens that it sounds pretty good when voiced as if it were a spring.  Some people think it sounds similar to a spring reverb in this case.  Personally, I can instantly hear the difference; and, personally, I usually prefer the sound of the module when it is well voiced.  But that's just me, and to each his own.  As a matter of fact, most digital emulations of spring reverbs are basically the same thing: fairly typical reverb algorithms with some tweaks to make them sound more like spring pans.

This module was developed independently from Belton's first module and is completely different.  Someone else developed the first module, which was a more expensive multi-effects module.

I am not yet prepared to disclose the inner workings of the module on this forum.  Belton is very protective of this technology--and rightfully so, as they have some rather unscrupulous Chinese competitors.  I do have a pending patent on this reverb, so anyone willing to search for the application can get a good idea of what I did.

By the way, please follow the datasheet and use a regulated 5V supply.  Most of the time when someone emails me about their module not working, it's because they are not using a regulated 5V supply.  The other common question I get is how to add decay adjustment.  The short answer is: you can't.  Without going into details, it's a limitation of the minimalist design.

I have posted links and further information about the module at www.NeunaberTechnology.com.

Brian
Brian Neunaber
www.neunabertechnology.com

biggy boy

Woo Hoo
Went to the mail today after work and my reverb kit was there in my box :icon_smile:

This is my first kit build, the rest have been from scratch.
The kit looks good, nice board and good parts.
The box is a Chinese knock off, but looks OK
The box comes pre drilled and actually the sides of the box are smoother them the 4 Hammonds I got last week (less casting mess)
The kit comes with everything needed, even the solder is included.
It was well packaged. and the componets are in there own pouches according to type.

Nice kit GGG!!

Br4d13y

ya my first build was a ggg tube screamer, they package everything wonderfully and there products are of the utmost quality, nice job guys!!!
freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

Skruffyhound

Hi, I built it too, but mine didn't work :icon_sad:
It was a fast but careful, clean build. The only thing I can think of after hours of checking the circuit is that I may have fried the 5v regulator.
I am not very familiar with them. Does anyone know what happens to them when they get too hot. I have a short in the circuit that I cannot explain despite having gone over every joint with a magnifying glass

mth5044

can you check and see if 5v is coming out of it?

biggy boy

When I made mine I put sockets on the board for the IC chips and I also socket-ed the Reveb brick module, in case I made a mistake putting the parts on the board.
This way I can take the reverb brick off to get at the other components. I put a resistor in the wrong spot and had to move it, that was in the populating stage.

Mine works well and it sounds good to me. I still have to put it in an encloser.

Skruffyhound

I have tried to measure the output, assuming that one of the legs on the regulator must be 5v, but I've got 7.84v between DC jack earth and the left and middle legs + the main tab and 8.8v on the right leg. From a measured 9v source.
All off-board wiring has been traced and triple checked, board has been triple checked for +/- on electrolytics and I measured resistor values with a DMM as I populated the board. I also socketed the opamps.
But I have a short that I cannot find, I get a 9v reading between DC jack earth and all other ground points. So I was wondering if  the regulator was fried could it short circuit?

Thanks for any suggestions

~arph

Quote from: neunaber on May 26, 2009, 02:41:19 PM

I have posted links and further information about the module at www.NeunaberTechnology.com.

Brian

Brian,

I've built the schematic as from smallbear and your site. I did notice that, using humbuckers, if the input level of the module gets too high it starts outputting a loud noise (lI'd say like a brown noise) that feedbacks onitself and can only be stopped by disconnecting the power. I've tried this with two of your modules and both displayed the same behaviour. Scaling down the level by adjusting the opamp stage in front of the module helps partially. Have you ever experienced the module going 'beserk' ? and is there an easy way to cure this?

Regards,

Arnoud

ibodog

I've got a kit on order from GGG.  I'd like to mod it with a "splash" mode that involves a toggle and a momentary switch.  When I flip the toggle the input signal to the reverb should be cut off (spdt on-on toggle).  Next in line is the momentary stomp switch and it will make the connection to the verb input again when I hold it down.  This way I can "accent" certain notes with verb.  From the schematic and layout at GGG it looks like I'd need to cut a trace between the op amp output and the verb input and then drill 2 or 3 new holes to patch in the switches. Does this seem like it would work? I'm wondering how much of a pop will be inserted when I hit the momentary switch.  Would I add some pull down resistors to the momentary switch if there is a pop? Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Kitarist

anyone built it and wants to post some soundclips :D :D

Skruffyhound

Ok, panic over!
After a few more hours, staring at the box, I suddenly found the stupid mistake. Unbelievable how your mind can play tricks on you. It was there all the time winking at me, but I just couldn't see it until now.

This is a very cool box. I'm very impressed. Well worth the investment (especially if it hadn't been caught by Danish Import tax)
I run a small clean amp by Phil Jones, the Cub 100. So no fancy amp effects for me. This box is a major part of what was missing.
Next step tube pre-amp and I think I'll be close to my goal.

Seriously, build this one. Thanks GGG

The Surgeon

Hi Biggy Boy!

Where did you get sockets for the brick? It seems to have larger sized pins
than standard IC. Mine building is otherwise ready to box but cannot find
those sockets.

I´ve always socketed all my IC´s and I think it´s
very important with the reverb module.

-Lasse

El Heisenberg

Youd have to make a socket.

I finished mine last week. It works fine. Distorts a little.
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

biggy boy

Quote from: The Surgeon on June 09, 2009, 12:04:37 AM
Hi Biggy Boy!

Where did you get sockets for the brick? It seems to have larger sized pins
than standard IC. Mine building is otherwise ready to box but cannot find
those sockets.

I´ve always socketed all my IC´s and I think it´s
very important with the reverb module.

-Lasse

You can use SIP single in-line pins they come in strips, you just cut off the length you need.
or you can use an IC socket, just cut it in half lengthwise and use what you need from it.( don't use the IC sockets that have the round holes)!!
they ain't big enough for the pins. The IC sockets that have the springy type clips work.