GGG has a new reverb kit!

Started by mth5044, May 15, 2009, 09:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggy boy

Was using the reverb today, for about an hour straight, then I noticed I was loosing the reverb. checked the battery and the voltage was good 9.2 volts.
I let it sit for a couple of minutes and it was fine again then after a while it would loose it's reverb again ???

I'm thinking that the 5 volt voltage regulator is overheating and shutting off on safety!
Not good.

Any thoughts on this?

Glen

mth5044

Might as well try to heatsink it. Couldn't hurt anyway.

biggy boy

Quote from: mth5044 on June 10, 2009, 08:20:45 PM
Might as well try to heatsink it. Couldn't hurt anyway.
Ya that's what I was thinking but, it's a surface mount tiny regulator.
May have to try soldering a chunk of copper to the metal tab that is soldered to the board.

mth5044

biggy boy

I'll have to turn it on for an hour again tomorrow and see if it gets hot.
I Should clip my meter on to it to see if the 5 volts shuts down, when the reverb stops working.
I also have a temperature prob I can monitor the temp with.

ahermida

Please keep me posted on this.  The regulator is running at 50% (the reverb module uses 100mA or less and the regulator can handle 200mA).  It could be that the regulator needs to be replaced (if its turning actually off).

Alf

Quote from: biggy boy on June 10, 2009, 10:41:57 PM
I'll have to turn it on for an hour again tomorrow and see if it gets hot.
I Should clip my meter on to it to see if the 5 volts shuts down, when the reverb stops working.
I also have a temperature prob I can monitor the temp with.

Paul Marossy

I bought the GGG Reverb kit a few days ago. I think that I'm going to try using it in my old Gregory Mark X tube amp as an add-on reverb. I think since I'm not into the super springy surfer sound it'll be OK for my ears. It can be on a seperate power supply since I already have a seperate power transformer for a 24VDC cooling fan. It wouldn't be too much work to add on the reverb brick.

It all depends on how well I like it, though. If I think it sounds any good at all, I'll come back to give a report on it.

Nasse

I tried the belton unit as a post processing for a recorded track and I think one thing this does "better" than real thing is I believe there is a small pre-delay before reverberation starts in the programming algorithm which might help original guitar attack to be heard a bit better. If I ever get mine boxed I will add line level input and perhaps rca input output jacks parallel so I can use it for whatever I want

Just bought Boss RE-20 Space Echo and I think it is true what they said that they cloned faithfully the sound of original Roland RE-201 spring reverb so the spring does not sound "much special" but anyway it fits the overall mix very very nice. Have not tried trough belton yet
  • SUPPORTER

polifemo

Quote from: mth5044 on May 19, 2009, 07:37:18 PM
That video is a real turnoff for me. It sounds like it's just a delay with really short delay times, not a reverb-like sound, like the new spring chicken.

Yes, the decay when he hits the muted strings in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNDCjzsHBAw sounds quite "angular", but that's the nature of spring reverb type sounds I guess...

However in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htFFdDTkdZY&feature=PlayList&p=78DE4D8DDE6A8C9D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=29
the decay sounds much better on those short chords.

Lee Jackson says that he "modifies" the Belton module...
Wonder how that is done considering how the module is constructed  ???

Paul Marossy

I got my kit today and built it right after I opened the box.  :icon_redface:

I must say, it sounds pretty nice! It totally transforms my reverb-less amps into very nice sounding amps. I'm not even remotely disappointed in how it sounds. It sounds much better than I expected.  :icon_razz:

polifemo

The Belon module comes in 3 different versions:
- Short reverb/ 2 sec
- Medium Reverb/2,5 sec
- Long reverb/2,85 sec

Which module is included in the GGG kit?

mnordbye

Got my kit too, and it does sound awesome! I'm always a bit sceptical when it comes to digital stuff, but this one gets my thumbs up.  ;)

Not sure which of the bricks he sends with the kit though, guess you'll have to check the label (mine is already boxed up and glued tight  :D ).
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

Nasse

Forgot to say it sounded nice when I panned straight and reverb at left and right (or was it another way dont remember that too)
  • SUPPORTER

biggy boy

Quote from: polifemo on June 13, 2009, 02:26:34 AM
The Belon module comes in 3 different versions:
- Short reverb/ 2 sec
- Medium Reverb/2,5 sec
- Long reverb/2,85 sec

Which module is included in the GGG kit?
It comes with the Medium Reverb

mth5044

Are the reverb modules interchangeable with the circuit? Like one size fits all? could be neat to make a larger reverb unit with short/medium/long settings.

donald stringer

I am going to wait till all the opinions are in before I order one. I have a project happenning thats it fits in very well . Hey Paul which module did you put in your amp, the long med or short ?
troublerat

petemoore

It sounds much better than I expected.  
 ..I kind of expected it ''could''.
 Chips are certainly capable of nicely reproducing a delayed signals now.
 Springs were the choice that ''all parties'' [builders, buyers, players] liked when springs were the 'best' way to get reverb into amplifiers, plates wouldn't fit.
  halls rented for too much, hardly anyone was ever able to be putting guitar amps in cathedrals, tank reverbs are way too hard to move, the rock crowds didn't seem to gather well in caves...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

biggy boy

Quote from: ahermida on June 11, 2009, 07:08:59 PM
Please keep me posted on this.  The regulator is running at 50% (the reverb module uses 100mA or less and the regulator can handle 200mA).  It could be that the regulator needs to be replaced (if its turning actually off).

Alf

I used the pedal today for about an hour and a half, then it shut down. No reverb :icon_frown:
Turned it off then back on, still no reverb.
I let it sit for ten minutes then I turned it back on and it works again ???

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Glen

Paul Marossy

I put this circuit into one of my tube amps. See here for more: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=77120.0

Hopefully I don't have a problem with it shutting down. If I do, I have a emergency bypass switch built into it just in case...

biggy boy

OK
I think I found the problem
This thing eats batteries :icon_twisted:
I've gone through 3 Duracells in about 3 hours of use.
I need to get a power supply for it, one that doesn't make noise?