GGG has a new reverb kit!

Started by mth5044, May 15, 2009, 09:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Quote from: biggy boy on June 13, 2009, 09:07:14 PM
OK
I think I found the problem
This thing eats batteries :icon_twisted:
I've gone through 3 Duracells in about 3 hours of use.
I need to get a power supply for it, one that doesn't make noise?

That seems to be eating them really fast. I think a 9V battery ought to last at least about 5-6 hours or so in this circuit.

Something sounds awry...  :icon_confused:

biggy boy

Not sure how many mili amp hours are in a typical 9 volt battery.
The reverb block uses 100ma the LED uses 10-20ma?, plus what ever the rest of the pedal uses.

EDIT:

at a 100ma discharge rate a 9 volt battery has just over 300mah.
found this info here.   http://www.powerstream.com/9V-Alkaline-tests.htm

Plus the battery doesn't need to drain down to far before that 5 volt regulator stops working. Remeber the regulator needs about 2 volts plus, above it's rating for it to work.

Thats 7 volts!

Paul Marossy

Yeah, I guess I looked at the data sheet wrong. I think three hours is more like it, but the batteries lasting only one hour seems to be extreme. I think you've figured it out, the voltage regulator is not getting a high enough voltage to keep the circuit going after about an hour elapses.

So, it appears to me that your circuit is using three times the amount of current that it should be. Now you need to identify why. Or just use a wall wart for your power supply.  :icon_wink:

The Surgeon

Got mine working today, at last I found the right size socket strips.

It really sounds good but I would not say it sounds just like springs. Anyway, it is very good.
Tested it about 40 min with battery and it works fine, but I had Boss RV-3 long time ago
and I remember that it ate battery in about one and a half hour.

I think that if device take 100 or more milliamps battery is used only when you canĀ“t use power supply
for some or the other reason.

Analog distortion boxes take only 5 to 7 mA, delays a bit more. I have Boss PSA (worked fine very long time) but nowI think I have to
get one that delivers more current than it.

That was good project, very easy to build and very affordable too, but the most important thing is
that it sounds so good.

Lasse

biggy boy

Did some more testing.
Did an amperage draw on it, it's using about 76 Milli Amps.
Also had a voltage meter on the battery to see what voltage the reverb stops working at. At around 7.6 volts under load the reverb stops working.
It took about an hour and a half for the pedal to drop the voltage down to cutoff.

Glen

Paul Marossy

Quote from: biggy boy on June 14, 2009, 04:07:58 PM
Did some more testing.
Did an amperage draw on it, it's using about 76 Milli Amps.
Also had a voltage meter on the battery to see what voltage the reverb stops working at. At around 7.6 volts under load the reverb stops working.
It took about an hour and a half for the pedal to drop the voltage down to cutoff.

Glen

Well, I guess that just a limitation of operating this circuit on a 9V battery then. That's one reason why I almost never use batteries in any of my builds. I guess I will especially not use them on this kind of circuit!

polifemo

Nitefly182

Has anyone considered adding a footswitch between two pots as a sort of preset option for a heavy and light reverb?

ppatchmods

I have planned on doing that but i'll have to re-box and all that jazz...maybe i can add a jack and use an external switch and pot...
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

biggy boy

Quote from: Nitefly182 on June 17, 2009, 02:46:43 AM
Has anyone considered adding a footswitch between two pots as a sort of preset option for a heavy and light reverb?

Can you explain the concept a bit more, I'm kind of slow :icon_biggrin:

ppatchmods

not sure if this will work, but here goes. pot is a voltage divider so it needs all 3 jack lugs. you will need an isolated(plastic is easiest) stereo jack and go from board to jack, jack to pot...using the sleeve for the middle lug of the pot. you will need a stereo cable from jack to expression pedal jack. the exp pedal will be set up the same way, jack to pot, pot to switch(probably a dpdt). that was a rough thought and i'm not exactly sure it will work. use this: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/The-Mod-Zone-_/DUAL_VOLUME.jpg.html but imagine the jack as pot #1 you may need a 3pdt instead

ppatchmods

sorry for the haste reply! in the case of just adding a switch and pot for a seperate reverb level, just go exactly by the above link. my directions were for an external footswitch w/pot. sorry

Nitefly182

Yeah I know how to switch pots Im just asking if someone has done it with this circuit and if they had any pop issues or stuff like that.

ppatchmods

sorry, i was answering more for biggy boy

Nitefly182

Quote from: ppatchmods on June 17, 2009, 02:58:44 PM
sorry, i was answering more for biggy boy

Ah gotcha. My kit showed up today so Im going to give switchable amount pots a shot on this pedal. Typically I dont have any problems and Im hoping there isn't any pop that then gets verbed when I switch 'channels.'

Nitefly182

Done. Worked out flawlessly and the reverb sounds totally awesome.

biggy boy

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Nitefly182 on June 17, 2009, 09:17:31 PM
Done. Worked out flawlessly and the reverb sounds totally awesome.

Ooo... very nice.  :icon_cool:

El Heisenberg

the thing stopped working. After some probing I figured (hoped) it was the first op amp. Switched it out ( i didnt use a socket) and replaced it. Wrks great once again.

But strange that the op amp blew wht could have happened? Bad adapter? Reverse voltage? I think theres a diode to protect against that. Or was i pumping too much gain into it. Rangemaster. O squeeze, green ringer and big muff all at once through reverb?

I played ithrough it last night an i worked. I turned it off and went to bed. Today my pedal setup is quiet! The amp just blew over night all by itself???

This is strange, what is this?

All the voltage readings seemed to be in line ( i dont have a reference) 5 volts, 4.5, 9. But there were some tgat were 1.25 and 3.50 before i switched it out. I shoulda measured after i fixed it, but i was just toi releived and excited that i put the lid back and on and started playing.
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

El Heisenberg

I might do the two pot mod

right now theres an 860 ohm resistor so when i turn the reverb down all the way i get a tiny bit. I might lower i to 680 but 860 seems like its already rite on the edge.
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."