Slacktave MKII question

Started by solderman, May 25, 2009, 03:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slacker

Fuzz Aldryn

Quote from: slacker on June 01, 2009, 03:57:57 PM
Looks interesting :)

I totally agree with that - looks like I definetly have to build another Slacktave. But I'm sure it will be worth and fun.:)

solderman

Quote from: solderman on June 01, 2009, 03:54:19 PM
Hi
I have been testing a fiev thing on the bread board and this is my latest mod. I have used 2 TL072 and used the 1:st and the 3:d op-amp stage on the first TL72 and the 2:nd an 4:th on the 2:d TL072. This is because of PCB layout routing reasons I wanted to test this setup. I don't know if this is the reason but I have found that the effect of the pots was minimal and narrow so I supst them for 4 SPST:s. one of them is the 3:d oct down (thank's Helge) Instead I invoked a "boostable" (trim pot) dry signal amd made the dry and effected signal separately mixable in to OUT. I also invoked a switch to kill the "clean" square signal so I can mix the  dry with the "only octave" Also supsted the 15K on op amp 1 to 33K to boost the signal that I found "choppy" I don't know why this is though but the signal chops and makes a terrible noise otherwise.

Hi
What looks good in theory does not always work IRL. When I bread boarded this one, I discowered that the gain was to low so I changed to a JFET buffer but for some reason that resulted in that the 4070 started to self oscillate I can't find why so I ditched the Ideé of a dry mix.

Q I cant get a descent oct down on q1(p12) q11 works just fine and is grate with q3 added. I use a CD4024BE. Does it have to be some particular CD4024Bx to get q1 to work. I have tried 4 different IC:s to roll out faulty components.

The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

slacker

It should work with and CD4024 as far as I know, I've tried ones from two different manufacturers and they both worked fine.
The one octave down setting on mine isn't quite as stable as the 2 octave down, it sometimes jumps between the octave down and the fundamental but it's still a good strong octave down.

earthtonesaudio

A few posts back I think Rick (frequencycentral) mentioned feeding the counter with the output of the XOR gate; this way of doing x2, /2 will give exactly a 50% duty cycle for the fundamental, whereas taking the fundamental frequency output from the comparator directly may or may not result in 50% duty cycle.  Perhaps not noticeably different, but different still.
Might be fun to try both.  (Sym/asym mod)

earthtonesaudio

Thinking a bit more about the XOR stuff, there are 4 gates in there, so you could potentially get 4 octaves up and divide from there for a whole buncha square wave octaves.

solderman

Hi
Her is a layout for the "Donkey Kong" Slacktave MKII+ mod.  made to fit in a 1590A, what else ;D
NOT VERIFIED (yet planing on building it on Thursday if I can find time)

PCB transfer
http://solderman.fatabur.se/Future%20project/Donkeykong.pdf

BOM
http://solderman.fatabur.se/Future%20project/Donkeykong.txt
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

frequencycentral

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on June 02, 2009, 03:04:07 PM
A few posts back I think Rick (frequencycentral) mentioned feeding the counter with the output of the XOR gate; this way of doing x2, /2 will give exactly a 50% duty cycle for the fundamental, whereas taking the fundamental frequency output from the comparator directly may or may not result in 50% duty cycle.  Perhaps not noticeably different, but different still.
Might be fun to try both.  (Sym/asym mod)

I did start to breadboard this last week, though I had issues with the fundamental extractor. But I had to clear my breadboard for my forthcoming 'Promiscuous Girlfriend' project, which is on a timescale. I'll get back to it soon, as I'm dying to try the wave shaping circuit I posted. Square waves are all very well and good, but sawtooths (sawteeth?) are FAT.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

earthtonesaudio

Discrete XOR gate, for anyone interested:

http://www.ehobbycorner.com/images/discrete_logic_xor.gif  ...not ideal (adding gain/buffering at the end might be good), but better than nothing if you don't have a 4070 or 4077.

DWBH

Has anyone tried a 4060 instead of the 4024?

Can something cool be done with the extra internal oscillator?

Just saw that the 4060 doesn't have Q1 nor Q2.

frequencycentral

Quote from: DWBH on July 14, 2009, 01:02:08 PM
Has anyone tried a 4060 instead of the 4024?

Can something cool be done with the extra internal oscillator?

Just saw that the 4060 doesn't have Q1 nor Q2.

The 4060 has no Q1, Q2 or Q3 outputs, so the highest octave down it would give would be -4 octaves. Maybe suitable for communicating with humpback whales?

DWBH

Yeah, I noticed it (I edited my post) a couple of minutes later.
Bummer.

frequencycentral

Quote from: DWBH on July 14, 2009, 01:34:03 PM
Yeah, I noticed it (I edited my post) a couple of minutes later.
Bummer.

Oh yeah, I didn't notice you had edited until after I posted. Oh well, at least it allowed me to make the humpback whale wisecrack..................

slacker

I haven't tried but I think you can wire the CD4060 up in such a way that you can gate the clock , sort of like how an Uglyface works, that would probably sound pretty cool. Like has already been said though the lack of suitable output means it wouldn't be much use for guitar unless you multiplied the signal up first. A CD4040 would work in place of the CD4024, but it would sound exactly the same.

egasimus

Hey guys! Nut sure why I'm posting this, just felt like sharing. I've partially breadboarded an all-CMOS Slacktave. I'm using a 4069UBE and have the output stage and the 4024 divider built. It's currently fed by a 40106 oscillator, and plugged into a LM386 breadboard module. Obviously not done yet, and some things are still confusing, but it's nice to play around with :)