ZIF Sockets FTW!

Started by dano12, May 26, 2009, 08:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dano12

Years ago, I was mucking about with tube screamer opamp switching and remembered that (even more years earlier) I had build an EEPROM burner using a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force socket).

I remember asking on these pages if anyone knew of a ZIF-8 socket.

I think the response was something along the lines of, "no such thing."

Alas, it wasn't to be.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, browsing through various baubles and parts on ebay, I found a ZIF-18. When I thought about it, I realized that the extra pins would  actually be quite useful.

One set of 8 pins would be active, the rest would be disconnected. That allows for one opamp in the breach, one in the chamber so to speak.

Sure it takes up a bit more room, but dammit, it's a ZIF!

aziltz

what does it do? you can toggle op-amps?

frequencycentral

I'll never give up my hammer.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

mdh

Dano, does that thing do anything other than look vaguely like a hovercraft? ;)

dano12

Quote from: mdh on May 26, 2009, 08:53:19 PM
Dano, does that thing do anything other than look vaguely like a hovercraft? ;)

Yes. Among other things it does a nice job as a dangerous device to lob at zombies.

iaresee

There's something supremely satisfying about seating a chip a ZIF socket and locking it home.

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: dano12 on May 26, 2009, 09:12:36 PM
Yes. Among other things it does a nice job as a dangerous device to lob at zombies.

You never can have too many of those.

punkin

;D

Even better if it made a cool servo sounding bzzzkachik sound when you push the lever down  :icon_lol:
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

trendyironicname

i like your thought process.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Ben N

Dano, you are a wild man! (Who even thinks of these things?) Now go DO something with your zero-insertion-force-zombie-stalling-hovercraft with electro-caps-as-ears.

(Some guys never quite get over losing their Lego(r).)
  • SUPPORTER

SonicVI

Zero insertion force?  That doesn't sound physically possible :)

Taylor

Kind of neat, but quick research makes me think this isn't too useful for low-pin-count ICs. Is this just for fun, or is there some practical reason for using these?

dano12

Quote from: Ben N on May 26, 2009, 10:10:30 PM
Dano, you are a wild man! (Who even thinks of these things?) Now go DO something with your zero-insertion-force-zombie-stalling-hovercraft with electro-caps-as-ears.

(Some guys never quite get over losing their Lego(r).)

It's actually a preamplifier for my iPod. Only thing soldered in will be a couple of resistors and 8 pins of the zif socket. everything else is "pluggable". It makes it way easier to replace/bypass the input caps, swap the output caps, and change the opamp.

The terminal blocks on the end make it very easy to deal with offboard wiring.

But it still qualifies as a zombie weapon.

dano12

Quote from: Taylor on May 27, 2009, 12:54:56 AM
Kind of neat, but quick research makes me think this isn't too useful for low-pin-count ICs. Is this just for fun, or is there some practical reason for using these?

Fortunately, practicality is a virtue I have not been blessed with.

In reality, ZIF sockets make it real easy for a customer to swap chips. Even if you socket your DIPs, the customer will end up mangling it. A lesson I learned long ago when I included a bag of opamps with every FKR I sold :)

Ripthorn

I actually think these would work really well for submini tubes.  I have used the spring loaded and machined DIL sockets for tubes and both are not ideal because they can make the leads bend all over.  Next order, I may have to try that.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home