Is there a simple spst switching with number display thing?

Started by mth5044, June 02, 2009, 07:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalGuy

I appreciate your enthousiasm but excuse me - it's 21th century and using 5 pcs 40XX series chips for such type of switching is ridiculous.
I would suggest to Frank to include this feature in the next version of his FX unit. It would require a simple PIC or Atmel - he knows better.
This way the unit will have the functionality of an ACE mudule where no encoders are required and the display is maintained by the unit.

octfrank

Quote from: MetalGuy on October 21, 2009, 04:51:32 PM
I appreciate your enthousiasm but excuse me - it's 21th century and using 5 pcs 40XX series chips for such type of switching is ridiculous.
I must agree, using a PIC or other simple micro would be a better solution.
I would suggest to Frank to include this feature in the next version of his FX unit. It would require a simple PIC or Atmel - he knows better.
Suggestion noted but will probably not happen. Many users only use 1,2 or 4 programs from an FV-1 or SKRM-C8 so including a micro that most clients would never use would add unnecessary cost to the module. Rotary switches with binary or gray outputs are rather common, many clients use micros to select the program in response to MIDI program change commands so the micro is the one that maintains state as it also acts as the MIDI receiver and you can easily make a encoder with a simple SP8T rotary switch and priority encoder. Using up/down push buttons is not too common where MIDI or other interface requiring a micro isn't also used.
This way the unit will have the functionality of an ACE mudule where no encoders are required and the display is maintained by the unit.
Don't think I know the ACE module and a quick search didn't turn up anything, pointer to a site?
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

MetalGuy

QuoteDon't think I know the ACE module and a quick search didn't turn up anything, pointer to a site?

I wrote several times here about the ACE series modules and I even used one in one of my guitar amps.
They have a DSP onboard and have other interesting features supported by a uCU (Atmel).

This is the  manufacturer's site but strangely you wont't find the full datatsheets for their products there:

http://www.thk-japan.com/

You can find and download the full specs from one of their distributors site:

http://www.fk-industrie.de/en/produktkatalog/BG/EM/0.html

The data sheet for each module is named Specifications (pdf) not THKProdukte.pdf.
99 preset version of the module ACE99 supports an LCD display.

You can find these modules also at Cliff:

http://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/digital/index.htm

http://www.cliffusa.com/digital-effects-modules.asp

Check out also the FX1 DSP Boards (AL3201 based) which are also relatively unknown.

And again the full datasheets are available from the German site:

http://www.fk-industrie.de/en/produktkatalog/BG/EM/0.html

This is a closeup of ACE8:

And finally to remind you about our take on FV-1 and thank Keith and you I think about solving couple of problems with this one:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=70381.0

octfrank

Thanks for the pointers MetalGuy, will need to look at those in more detail. Any idea on the quantities they do? I based my answer above on the fact that every one (until this thread) that has asked about up/down/display control had a micro in their design already that could be tasked with that. If I am wrong and this feature is popular I'll look at adding it to a future module.

I do remember the thread from last year on your fx unit, did you ever post samples? If you did I missed that posting.

And sorry for hijacking the thread, so a little on the discussion so far:
There is a small logic error on the presentation of the SR latch, since these are cross coupled NAND gates it is really S-not/R-not latch so the proper way to wire it is have the switches tied to gnd, not +5 and use pull up resistors on the switched NAND inputs (pins 1,6,8 and 13 of the 4011 making the latches) to +5. This way the inputs do not float when the switch is not driving the input.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

MetalGuy

QuoteThanks for the pointers MetalGuy, will need to look at those in more detail. Any idea on the quantities they do? I based my answer above on the fact that every one (until this thread) that has asked about up/down/display control had a micro in their design already that could be tasked with that. If I am wrong and this feature is popular I'll look at adding it to a future module.

I bought my ACE8 from the german distributor together with other things but I think the module came at ~30 Euro.
My opinion is FV-1 sounds better and is more versatile that ACE and if you can implement the features ACEs have - mainly supporting 7 segment displays and using a regular pot instead of encoder, that will be enough to cmpletely beat ACE.
It wouldn't harm to develop two versions of your FV-1 module - one with and one without those features. Also why not a 100 presets version like the M16_24 :: Fixed program module from Spins site? Some people like it simple others like as much controls as possible so think about it.

QuoteI do remember the thread from last year on your fx unit, did you ever post samples? If you did I missed that posting.

Unfortunately no samples yet but since the FV-1 is all over the forum now maybe it's time to finally record some.

mth5044

You Digital & DSP guys  :icon_lol:

Way above my pay grade  :icon_lol:

I'm grateful for R O Tirees help. I don't know if my layout of his circuit works yet or not though. I will go put it together now! There has finally been a slow down at school, now there is time. THERE IS TIME!

I also don't have the knowledge or technology to program micro controllers. I took a class in true basic 6 years ago and made a mac machine (  :icon_lol: ) but I don't think I would be able to get programming down in any amount of time that would make it worth it, not to mention the cost of just getting the basics.

But I'm glad I made a thread that got other people talking.

cloudscapes

mmmm, DSP

I'm comfortable enough with AVR stuff that doesn't need to be super speedy and optimized, but for decent DSP it seems you gotta do things in assembler.

my dream is to do granular synthesis in a pedal
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

MoltenVoltage

If you want the highest audio resolution you absolutely need to code in asm.

For switching LED displays, its irrelevant, but just about as easy to use asm.
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

MetalGuy

QuoteI also don't have the knowledge or technology to program micro controllers. I took a class in true basic 6 years ago and made a mac machine (  icon_lol ) but I don't think I would be able to get programming down in any amount of time that would make it worth it, not to mention the cost of just getting the basics.

Most people don't and dont' have to know because other people can do it for us and offer a product at descent price.