frequencycentral OHP Transparency Graphic Technique Photo Essay

Started by frequencycentral, June 08, 2009, 03:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kearns892

Well I went to go get some ink jet paper, but the local office max only sells them in large, pricey, amounts. Prices are much better on the net I will probably turn there. For now, I used a friends laser printer to print on some of the laser transparencies I already have. The first clear coat is on now under the lamp. I didn't think I should put it in the toaster oven in case it might melt the plastic, any one tried this? One last thing, when I was adhering the transparency to the enclosure I got some bubbles. I got most of them out with my fingers, but I am left thinking there has to be a better way! How do you guys get rid of bubbles or are you just more careful in the first place?

frequencycentral

Quote from: Kearns892 on October 11, 2009, 04:20:40 PM
The first clear coat is on now under the lamp. I didn't think I should put it in the toaster oven in case it might melt the plastic, any one tried this?

I think an oven would shrink the transparency.

Quote from: Kearns892 on October 11, 2009, 04:20:40 PM
One last thing, when I was adhering the transparency to the enclosure I got some bubbles. I got most of them out with my fingers, but I am left thinking there has to be a better way! How do you guys get rid of bubbles or are you just more careful in the first place?

Probably a little too much clear. The bubbles should dissapear as it dries.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Kearns892

Huh, I only did two quick passes, thought if anything I was on the light side, thanks for the tip though. Hopefully I will have pics up soon, I just have to let it dry and figure out where to put the circuit board; the transformer was a little taller than I thought...

Kearns892

I got everything worked out with the last build I used this technique on, but I was still left unsatisfied. This time around I sourced some Papilio brand self adhesive inkjet clear decal paper. It's cheaper than inkjet transparencies, and the self adhesive stuff helps a lot. Looks a ton better than my last build. I would post pictures, but I my digital camera leaves much to be desired. Thought I would share this with everyone and thanks again Rick for such a good tutorial.

mattthegamer463

I found these while looking for ink jet film:

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=3%2C140,341&webid=522212&affixedcode=WW

They look like they could be useful: sort of sticky for sticking to windows, but removable, so if you get air bubbles just try again.  Clear coat them down and they're set! 

I might give them a try.  Love your work Rick, I sneakily set my RSS reader to inform me whenever you post a new pic on your Photobucket. ;) So I never miss any.

frequencycentral

Quote from: mattthegamer463 on February 27, 2010, 12:27:38 PM
I sneakily set my RSS reader to inform me whenever you post a new pic on your Photobucket. ;) So I never miss any.

:icon_biggrin:  That's funny! New image just uploaded!   :icon_biggrin:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

knealebrown

Hey guys,

Im having a little problem with this technique and was hoping for some advice.

Heres what i did. (after drilling all holes)

1. Sanded enclosure with thick grit, sanded again with fine stuff.
2. Cleaned enclosure with spirit
3. Washed and dried enclosure
4. Sprayed two coats of grey primer (thinly)
5. Sprayed four or five light coats of gold automotive paint (no problems with this stuff so far)
6. Let cure/dry for a week
7. Printed my design with a laser jet printer on laser jet transparency
8. Sprayed a 'not to thick, not to thin' layer of automotive laquer (matching the paint i used) and gently applied the transparency
9. HERES THE PROBLEM:

The clear coat underneath was all textured and 'ripply' which looked horrible. I didnt let it dry but just whipped the transparency off and let the whole thing dry so i could save my enclosure. So now im back to step 6.......what did i do wrong and what can i do to get this technique working for me?

Everybody elses enclosures look so good this way and id like to get in on the action  ;D

Thanks in advance
''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

kungpow79

you didn't let the auto paint dry enough.   Pop it into a toaster oven at 150-200 degs for 1 hr. 

knealebrown

Quote from: knealebrown on March 17, 2010, 01:17:31 PM

6. Let cure/dry for a week

Is a week in a warm house not long enough for a few light coats of paint?

kungpow79

First off, I don't think you need clear coat before applying the decal.  What is it doing?  Nothing.  Paint, let it dry thoroughly i.e. toast it, then decal, then clear coat.  I  struggled with this more than you know, but doing it this way works for me.  :icon_wink:

Wrinkles are caused when the paint underneath is still letting off solvents.  Trapping those escaping gases with another layer of paint/clear coat leads to the ripples.  I use to air dry stuff even wait a week like you.  But now I toast and am not looking back.  :)  Works great.  Good luck

Kearns892

Are you trying to use the paint as the adhesive? I havent had any luck with that mine all turned out like yours. What I have had success with is using a self adhesive decal paper over dry paint. I believe the brand name of the stuff was papillio and it wasnt any more expensive than inkjet transparency film

knealebrown

nah, like i said i let the paint fully cure for a week, sprayed a coat of clear 'placed' the transparency ontop and then it just looked s**t am i supposed to wait until it drys for it to look good?

deadastronaut

just a comment...

ive done the decal waterslide a few times...worked great..but!...

this stuff is not very durable...

i took apart an old box that i decaled with waterslide 4 months ago..and the waterslide was TOO easy to pick off

even after loads of clear...(i used to paint cars so i know about paints)...

i'll be sticking to aluminium etching..gives a permanent decal..no problems and i think a much better pro result..

you can always fill the etch with whatever colours you want and even multicolour them............no more chipping either...

great...follow slades tutorial....
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

knealebrown

Thanks 'deadastronaut' this is not the decal waterslide technique though this is the OH transparency one, ill have to try all three i suppose.

deadastronaut

Quote from: knealebrown on March 18, 2010, 05:24:05 AM
Thanks 'deadastronaut' this is not the decal waterslide technique though this is the OH transparency one, ill have to try all three i suppose.

oh ok...acetate/ohp clear.. sounds a bit thick for that to me...you'll get a big edge i think......

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Kearns892

Quote from: knealebrown on March 18, 2010, 04:18:19 AM
nah, like i said i let the paint fully cure for a week, sprayed a coat of clear 'placed' the transparency ontop and then it just looked s**t am i supposed to wait until it drys for it to look good?

This is what I was getting at. I tried using the clear as adhesive and always got your results.

knealebrown

hmm well im gonna try again tonight this tim with a thick coat so it floats on the top and hopefully when the clear coat dries ill have an even adhesion. if not ill have a crap looking pre drilled box that is bearly worth salvaging and another trip to halfords for £12  worth of paint  :( i dont know how FC gets his so good? is it the lack of paint i wonder?

deadastronaut

craftypaper does the decal stuff..waterslide clear and white...

use white for a dark background. shows the image nice...

and clear for a light coloured box...

not a bad price...they are in northumberland!.............uk. i thibnk you can buy single sheets etc...

put it on a dry painted box...let it dry overnight..to get rid of bubbles etc...then clear coat it...

careful with the holes tho when you punch em through use a craft knife...and a pen to get rid of edges..

otherwise when you put ya pots in it can tear the image off...ok. hope this helps.............good luck.

trendyironicname

oven doesn't actually shrink mine but one kind of curled.  don't wanna eat anything ever again out of whatever you bake in, so keep that in mind.  I found two industrial lights to work out great for me.  the square ~$10 ones from walmart.  I have a huge/small ((8' wide by 4' high by 4'deep) enough for guitar bodies but not a car)) positive pressure paint booth that I'm building and the lights pull good double duty for really intense light + really fast curing times.  We're building it insulated because the warehouse we're in doesn't have heat.  Get something too hot, turn off everything because you go home and the enclosure cools off too quick. This way the heat will dissipate slower with nothing on and weird things don't happen to the paint. i'll post pics soon.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

knealebrown

well heres how it turned out after three different attempts (my hands are sore from sanding) im not really happy with the finish as the ink bled on the left and the clearcoat didnt tae well to the transparency (i like the clearcoat thick and shiny)

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n121/knealebrown/?action=view&current=IMG_0398-1.jpg&newest=1