First time parts sourcing :: /wrists ::

Started by liveloveshare, June 09, 2009, 01:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liveloveshare

I tried several different searches to try to find what I was looking for and I really couldn't come up with the right animal...s.  I was hoping I could lend from your guy's/gal's knowledge. :]

I'm building these pedals (all from the GGG site):

EA TREMELO
BIG MUFF PI -- TRIANGLE VERSION
TONE BENDER 3
PT80 DELAY
PHASE 100
MAESTRO FILTER SAMPLE HOLD
DOD ENVELOPE FILTER 440
NEOVIBE
AD3208 DELAY
SMALL STONE
MAESTRO RING MODULATOR

I'm having a hard time figuring out what caps I should be using for these pedals, as there's quite a range.  All the way from 47pF - 1000 uF.  Can you guys give me some ideas as to what kind of mouser parts I should be looking at?  Anyones I should be looking at in particular?  From what I've searched it seems as though most people prefer poly film as they're the 'most quiet'.

jacobyjd

This post would get a better response in the 'Building Your Own Stompbox' forum--you may want to PM Aron to have it moved.

Also, those are some pretty intense projects you've got listed there--I'd guess that you're fairly new to building based on your request (please don't be insulted if I'm wrong on that...).

If I'm right, you may want to put that list on hold for awhile--even if those builds are ones that you want on your pedalboard asap--in favor of building some simpler projects first.

That said, here's a more appropriate answer to some of your questions. I don't have Mouser parts numbers for you (I don't order from them...yet), but I can tell you that when it comes to capacitors, ignore the hype. All of it.

Use poly or ceramic when you need to be precise, use electrolytic for larger values or when you need 'enough' capacitance, but not any precision, and don't use tantalum unless there is absolutely no other choice.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

liveloveshare

bah! I meant to put it in there.  Not enough coffee yet I suppose. :/
I'm going to repost.

Delete this please.