Anyone know how to build this?

Started by sevenisthenumber, June 10, 2009, 02:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLS

I think they would use an op-amps to combine the signals. Doesn't seem to be too difficult unless I'm missing something.

Bill

Since I've breadboarded it I can only blame myself.

But It's Just A Chip!

JKowalski

It's just an op-amp buffer, probably. The "reversible phase switch" kind of tells me that.

The stomp switches just direct the buffer's output to one, the other, or both amplifiers. Easy-peasy.

Andi

From the description it has a buffer at the input, transformer isolation, a ground lift/link switch and a little circuit so that in Y mode it flashes one of the LEDs to show which channel will be live when you exit Y mode.

petemoore

Nope, haven't done that yet.
  But with GEO showing how all that stuff works, I'm confident that >1/2 the battle of any switch box is figuring out what you want it to do, drawing or choosing a block diagram [there's probably something very close, just a matter of adding or subtracting one or two types of stages], and building working circuits for each stage.
  Getting it all laid out in a box real nice is kind of like getting used to a road map grid, if you put the PS over here, the input over there...etc. the output can be routed too...you're done !
  With the first prototype at least, and being that there's no real gain in the box itself, layout probabcly [c for 'caveat'] isn't critical if 1/2 sensible.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Andi

I've built a goodly number of isolated ABYs with basically the same features (no idea if they're similar internally). Nothing very tricky about it.

sevenisthenumber

anyone have a layout of a design i can try?

Mark Hammer

Certainly, much is given away in the description.

Runs on a battery?  Then you can count out relays.

Soft-touch clickless switches?  No true bypass here.  This baby's buffered, and uses flip-flops or other logic to git-er-done.

Having said that, there are many ways to accomplish signal cancellation/bypassing electronically in a low-curent situation.  There are FETs and CMOS switches, but there are also higher-grade digital switches out there that those of us who squeeze pedals out for pennies never really look into.

WLS

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 10, 2009, 01:13:20 PM

... those of us who squeeze pedals out for pennies never really look into.

I'm a squeezer, unless I plan on keeping it!  :icon_mrgreen:

Bill

Since I've breadboarded it I can only blame myself.

But It's Just A Chip!