recommend me a clean boost circuit

Started by Al Heeley, June 21, 2009, 04:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Boost is a great pedal to try out how boosting influences the tone of..
  What comes next !
  Heres scenarios, I don't really know what yours is:
  Guitar>Distorter>Amp turned down some
  A booster after the distorter might even boost mostly volume while only changing the tone a little bit.
  A booster before the distorter will make the distorter distort more.
  Another:
  Guitar into amp that has a dirtbox in it [same thing as the 'distorter' except it's in the amp, you can't boost after...unless the amps block diagram allows for it].
  Another:
  Guitar into cranked to distort level amp, the booster will boost signal, probably the amp will distort more as increasing boost level, more increase might make mud instead of increasing volume.
  The bigger the waveform potentials [the boost makes the waves the guitar puts out larger]...if they hit a 'block' in the ceiling of the 'tube' [signal path]...doesn't matter what makes the block, the waveform will be ''altered'' [distorted].

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Al Heeley

The plan was to put the vol boost and the tubescreamer into the same enclosure as I already have one prepared. If I throw in a dpdt switch too I have the ability to swap the order of the 2 circuits
i) ts before boost for some vol lift
ii) ts afterboost for some extra gain saturation
however, if I go for the passive vol cut option this may not be so effective, anyway worth a quick resolder to experiment a bit.

Ben N

If you check the AMZ Mosfet boost article, there is a simple way to switch from buffer to boost mode. I've never done it, but I expect that this would work well in place of the regular input buffer of a TS. With a switchable volume control, that would probably work something like John Greene's Glasspak--check out his sound samples.

I should add: T'were me doing this, I would probably lower the value of R3 in the Mos-boost (10M input impedance for this purpose seems pointless--I would try anywhere from 470k to 3.3M) and twiddle with the value of the bypass cap to roll off just a bit of bottom in boost mode. You can use the third set of contacts on a 3PDT for LED switching, or for switching a second 100k "Boost volume" control at the end of the whole kit and caboodle (then use a Rat bypass for a boost LED). I wouldn't try switching the order of the boost and the TS, since a boost that is optimized for the front end wont be ideal for the back.
  • SUPPORTER

jacobyjd

Quote from: Ben N on June 23, 2009, 09:08:21 AM
If you check the AMZ Mosfet boost article, there is a simple way to switch from buffer to boost mode. I've never done it, but I expect that this would work well in place of the regular input buffer of a TS. With a switchable volume control, that would probably work something like John Greene's Glasspak--check out his sound samples.

That is a fantastic application.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

petemoore

That should work out good I think.
  TS and Boost, neither being extreme or fierce, seem like good choices for 2 effects to switch order.

Al Heeley

Quick sanity check - is this wiring going to work ok with a DPDT switch swapping over the effects in the signal chain?

MikeH

You mean swapping the order?  That will not work.  I don't know what it will do, but I can assure you, it will not do what you want it to.  You need a 3pdt for that.  Check out the 'juggler' at geofex.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Ben N

Quote from: MikeH on June 24, 2009, 12:18:41 PM
You mean swapping the order?  That will not work.  I don't know what it will do, but I can assure you, it will not do what you want it to.  You need a 3pdt for that.  Check out the 'juggler' at geofex.
+1
  • SUPPORTER

petemoore

I'm not sure we know what you want, I know I don't.
  Take a look at a 'standard' true bypass, with the bypass jumper across two adjacent lugs [on DPDT switch].
  You can cut ''n splice' as it were, and install another circuit on a bypass switched circuits switch...
  Cut the Jumper, connect the input side of the jumper wire to the input, connect the output side of the jumper wire to the output [make a mirror of the circuit in/out wiring where the jumper was].
  Big, loud, bright, spanky cleans can be had with a large amplification system [say, a Twin Reverb with JBL's], or you can come pretty close by turning any amplifiers volume [and gain if there] controls down, bypassing all boosts...iow, with 'X' many watts or if the speakers begin to distort at 'x' volume...that's the limit, and it can't be gotten around very easily.
  Ways to get around that include:
  Treble boosting...bass takes lotsa wattsta get going.
  {Bass cutting is how I wiggled a fair bit more cut-through from my 15watters, I changed the rediculously large for 15watt amp staging capacitors for ones < 1/2 their value, IIRC it was mostly .1uf's and I used mostly .022's and .039's.
  The cabinet/speaker can help bass response / amplitude to some degree.
  Perhaps there's a way to tweek a couple more watts from the amp, a 5e3 with 6L6's of course will push a bit harder than one with 6v6's, the 'best' example of tube swaps for volume drops I know of.
  There's really no substitute for watts, but a litle more is sometimes all it takes, all I want because I like when the amp does distort too, output distortion...mmmgood.

Al Heeley

Quote from: Al Heeley on June 23, 2009, 02:35:03 AM
The plan was to put the vol boost and the tubescreamer into the same enclosure as I already have one prepared. If I throw in a dpdt switch too I have the ability to swap the order of the 2 circuits :
i) ts before boost for some vol lift ,  or;
That's what I wanted to do.

jacobyjd

Quote from: Al Heeley on June 24, 2009, 01:58:59 PM
Quote from: Al Heeley on June 23, 2009, 02:35:03 AM
The plan was to put the vol boost and the tubescreamer into the same enclosure as I already have one prepared. If I throw in a dpdt switch too I have the ability to swap the order of the 2 circuits :
i) ts before boost for some vol lift ,  or;
That's what I wanted to do.

Yeah...you'll need a 4pdt to do that...or the Juggler.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

MikeH

You can do it with a 3pdt toggle, or on the fly with a 4pdt stompswitch (because you'd need and led indicator to tell you which order they were in- if not, you could use a regular 3pdt)

MikeH

Ok- I'll do a little work for you:

The Juggler article is here:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/juggler/juggler1.gif

And here's how I've used it- this way allows you to switch each effect on and off independently, as well as reverse the order, and it is still technically true bypass, if you're concerned with that sort of thing.

If you want the center switch to be a stomp switch with an led, just use a 4pdt and wire up the led to the extra pole.

Al Heeley