Colorsound overdriver accidentally hi gain pedal

Started by kupervaser, July 22, 2009, 10:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kupervaser

I just built a Colorsound overdriver from this layout:

But I forgot to solder the jumber between row f and g, connecting R10 with C10.

The effect is that this pedal has 3 times more gain, you can easily play trash metal on this with all the palm muting you want.
However bass and treble are not working. Could anyone explain this? And maybe give me an idea how to wire the tonestack differently so I won;t loose the hi gain and have the treble and bass working properly?

Thanx in advance,

Paul Marossy

You're just hearing the circuit without the insertion losses of the tone controls. You would probably have to change the whole tone control scheme and monkey around with the gains of each stage to get that kind of sound with a bass & treble tone control.

kupervaser

Hm, so i could basically add a gain stage just before the output, sort of like the big muff recovery stage?

Paul Marossy

That might work. It sounds like the signal loses a lot of strength going thru that tonestack. Then again, you might have better luck using a simple tone control that doesn't whack the signal so much.

kupervaser

My thoughts exactly. I thought the tonestack just kind of reduces the volume but not the gain.

Which tonestack would you advice to use? And how should i wire it?

Paul Marossy

Well, it might not reduce the gain all that much, but it does change how the frequencies are treated and the harmonic content. That will affect how you perceive what's coming out of the tonestack vs. what's going into it.

Not sure what tonestack would be best... there are a lot of different tone control schemes out there. Hopefully someone more experienced in tonestacks will chime in soon...

kurtlives

Volume and gain can be thought of as the same thing kind of. Gain is basically the difference in your signals strength from input to output.

I would try a BMP tone control first, it doesn't take too much away from your signal. Start from there then try and tweak it to your needs.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

kupervaser

THanx for the advice, where exactly should I be wiring it? I am sorry I am not this expirienced in modifing pedals.

kupervaser

Yes i see, but where is exactly the output of the original Colorsound tonestack, because I see 2 wires going from the tonestack on the schematic.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: kurtlives on July 22, 2009, 01:12:01 PM
I would try a BMP tone control first, it doesn't take too much away from your signal. Start from there then try and tweak it to your needs.

I was also thinking of that, but I have no personal experience with that tone control.