satchurator pad switch

Started by anders, June 11, 2009, 03:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anders

I have a satchurator ,but i did not think the  pad switch had any  effect.So .......... i traced it, and yes it is a DS-1  with  a few extras.Please look at D1 .I am quite sure it is a shotkey diode (0.24v),the anode can be grounded through  the pad switch.  toggling the switch makes no audible effect and  i can see no change i the scope.

Anybody have an idea how this is supposed to work?

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt5/anderspic/sat2.jpg

Barcode80

are you using a guitar with high output pickups? The pad, as I understand it, is so that when using high input pickups it will dampen them a little so as not to, pardon the pun, over-saturate the gain. perhaps it is some sort of threshold control and when switched on only limits if your output is above a certain threshold?

anders

The diode D1 clips  the ac voltage at the base of Q?  at -0.2v.   to get a negative ac peak -0.2v i have to apply  an input ac voltage of 2v pp.My guitar output never gets that high  ,i guess that's why i don't hear any  change i the sound

sevenisthenumber

CynicalMan

It's after the stage's coupling cap so it would only limit the AC voltage if the negative peaks were as large as the DC bias + 0.3V (I think that diode says schottky).