Crazy idea for rackmounted wah

Started by trixdropd, July 30, 2009, 08:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trixdropd

rackmount Morley Bad Horsie optically operated wah with a expression pedal input like the dunlop rackmount wah so it can be remotely controlled from a pedal like the ernie ball 6166.
Now the how is not a question that I can answer. I'm asking If it can be done, and if so, how?

anti-idiot

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm

Search is your friend.

BTW, you need to find a way of switch the wah on-off...
If I was God you'd sell your soul to...

trixdropd

Quote from: anti-idiot on July 30, 2009, 10:29:21 PM
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm

Search is your friend.

BTW, you need to find a way of switch the wah on-off...
That seems like it will only work with a wah that's controlled by a pot. The Morley is optically tracked.
Or did I miss something?

Thanks!!

anti-idiot

it doesn't matter. Morley uses basically 2 circuits of wah: the transistor CB and the Op-amp one. they substitute the potentiometer/rheostat with  a LDR/LED combo. what you need to do is work on that combo.

The Pot at the wah rocker will control the intensity of the LED, thus altering the value of the LDR.

Go to morley's website, download the schematics and compare 'em to the typical dunlop/vox.

trixdropd

Quote from: anti-idiot on July 31, 2009, 12:10:25 AM
it doesn't matter. Morley uses basically 2 circuits of wah: the transistor CB and the Op-amp one. they substitute the potentiometer/rheostat with  a LDR/LED combo. what you need to do is work on that combo.

The Pot at the wah rocker will control the intensity of the LED, thus altering the value of the LDR.

Go to morley's website, download the schematics and compare 'em to the typical dunlop/vox.
Ah, that makes sense. I was thinking I'd need the the LDR in the rocker.

So, is the pot in the rocker will control the intensity of the led, since the morley turns on and off upon use, wouldn't that just stay the same? Is there another reason I'd need a seperate switch?
Thanks for the info...

SonicVI

Just use a 7 pin DIN cable between the rack and the pedal for the pot and the footswitch wires.

trixdropd

Quote from: SonicVI on July 31, 2009, 01:47:25 AM
Just use a 7 pin DIN cable between the rack and the pedal for the pot and the footswitch wires.
I'd use ethernet probably. But I still am unsure if I actually need a seperate footswitch for this.

anti-idiot

TRS Cable, Relay, LED.

Tip & Ring: +v
Sleeve: Ground

Tip to LED's Anode, Cathode to Ground (Sleeve)
Ring to Switch terminal, Sleeve to the other terminal. At the other end (the rackmounted wah), a DPDT relay.

trixdropd

Quote from: anti-idiot on July 31, 2009, 12:54:49 PM
TRS Cable, Relay, LED.

Tip & Ring: +v
Sleeve: Ground

Tip to LED's Anode, Cathode to Ground (Sleeve)
Ring to Switch terminal, Sleeve to the other terminal. At the other end (the rackmounted wah), a DPDT relay.

Yeah, that would work. So I take it I'm wrong on not needing a seperate switch.

On a side note, I'm one of Dimebag darrell's biggest fans. i couldn't help notice your gstk reference!! Getch'ya pull!!

anti-idiot