9V Electric Mistress retrofit with MN3007

Started by Thomeeque, August 06, 2009, 06:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

hi scruffie,

i listened to his clip...the flanger sounds like it should, i think he made it kinda wet to make the problem more obvious, but it's just what the old guys used to call "blow"...a little noise in the background, and it DOES get more noticeable at the different settings.

i don't think it's anything to worry about...to my ears as an old guy, it's pretty quiet. once he's playing it won't really be noticeable. just a little bit of shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh in the background.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

trat rödenback

Hey! Thanks for your thoughts... hmm. Still, somehow the EM3207 seems more quiet in http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=91981.msg841053#msg841053

Maybe I'll give that a shot. Also a WAY smaller build. Anyone interested in my MN3007 EM ? It's based on jorge's layout but with switch and LED on the board.

SS852912 von test bue auf Flickr

12Bass

Quote from: trat rödenback on April 24, 2012, 07:02:39 AM
Hey! Thanks for your thoughts... hmm. Still, somehow the EM3207 seems more quiet...

Not sure if there is a problem with your build or not.  However, the MN3007 should not be noisier than the MN3207, at least according to the datasheets.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: 12Bass on April 24, 2012, 08:44:15 AM
Not sure if there is a problem with your build or not.  However, the MN3007 should not be noisier than the MN3207, at least according to the datasheets.
MN3007 is quieter to my ears. I do use 12-15 VDC to power my 3007 builds though. Maybe that's the difference?
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

pinkjimiphoton

trat,
what do ya want for it?

i may be interested...i'm a sucker for unwanted gadgets!!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

alfafalfa

http://www.filefactory.com/file/complete.php/br45w20rdbj/

Here a very old ( 1974 I believe ) part of a song I played with my band back then . It has one of the very first electric mistress on the guitar in the backing track.  I always liked the moderately fast mode best.

alfafalfa

---

alfafalfa

Sorry this is the mp3 file , so much shorter.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ia09sh4l9dh/n/flanger_part_Melodymaker.mp3

Does anybody know a better upload host ?  Any suggestions ?

dgrech

Hi all.

I'm looking at building a Mistress type flanger and having found really good plans/posts/info for TDA1022 (EM1022) and MN3207 (EM3207) here I am seriously considering building one of these. The question is which one would you people recommend most?

Also, I'd like to thank everyone here for sharing their efforts and for the time put into this site and projects with a special thanks to Thomeeque for the EM1022 and EM3207 projects.

Thomeeque

Quote from: dgrech on May 23, 2012, 05:18:11 AM
Hi all.

I'm looking at building a Mistress type flanger and having found really good plans/posts/info for TDA1022 (EM1022) and MN3207 (EM3207) here I am seriously considering building one of these. The question is which one would you people recommend most?

Also, I'd like to thank everyone here for sharing their efforts and for the time put into this site and projects with a special thanks to Thomeeque for the EM1022 and EM3207 projects.

Hi, my pleasure :) Definitely build one, you won't regret it ;)

Are you able to get TDA1022 chip? With this chip you have theoretically better chance to get closer to the original EM character thanks to the same delay line length as the original EM used (512 cells). MN3x07 is twice longer and I (nor anybody else I know) did not succeed to make it work in the same delay range without unwanted side-effects. But there are other criteria (mainly gain/frequency and gain/clock characteristics), which differ between TDA and SAD anyway, that's why I say "theoretically". EM1022 project gives more added features (odd/even switch, volume knob, vibrato etc.) too, that's another fact to consider (you could add all these features to the EM3207 as well, but it's not there by default).

EM3207 on the other hand is simplier build and MN3x07 chips are easier to buy. If you want simple EM like flanger, choose EM3207, I probably would.

Both projects (all three actually, there's EM3007 yet) are verified.

See demos, suit yourself, good luck.

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

oldschoolanalog

The TDA1022 version has lots of cool switching options (vibrato, +/- f'back, etc.). Worth a look/see IMHO. ;)
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

dgrech

Good morning Tomas and Dave,
thanks for your reply. I like the simplicity of the EM3007 but the love the the features on the EM1022. I think I can find the tda1022 here in the UK. I have looked for the EM3007 project but haven't found it yet. I'll have another look later on in the day.

DG

Thomeeque

Morning D.,

EM3007 is little hidden, so just a small recapitulation:

EM1022 project
EM3207 (v1.1) project
EM3007 (v1.1) project

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

dgrech

Cheers.  ;D

I'm still liking the EM1022 so provided I find components for it I'll be building that.

I'll let you know how it goes - but it might be a while - a bit busy these days.

oldschoolanalog

Go for it! You will have the 5th one in known captivity.  ;D
If you cant find the slide switches to fit the PCB, Small Bear has a nice one you can use as a substitute. You will have to change the pin spacing on the PCB artwork a bit, but if you get the switches in advance this is a no sweat issue. Alter the artwork and etch.
This one: http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=495  Better quality & action than the slide switches, IMHO. Well worth the extra money.

Prive

I'd like to build the Deluxe Electrix Mistress with mn3007, i read a lot here and there but i don't really know what to do, maybe build the GGG pcb and a second little pcb with the mn3007 circuit, what you think???

Thanks!
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

oldschoolanalog

Does it have to be the DEM?
There are nice PCB layouts around here for the 9V EM that already have the MN3007 retrofit in the artwork. A lot of work was done on this design and there are many verified builds.
Consider etching one. Or having somebody on the forum make one for you if you are going to buy one.
BTW; the 9VEM sounds great @ 12V.

visualdistortion

Hi, I've an old EHX Electric Mistress but with no SAD1024, I've all the components (MN3007) except the 4049N, can I use this one?:
http://www.banzaimusic.com/CD4049-U.html

Thanks a lot

anotherjim

Often asked.
The 4049"N" is a far better driver because it has multiple stages per inverter - this is the "Buffered" version. The 4049"U" is un-buffered and is actually pretty poor at squaring up the edges of pulses (it gets more use as a pseudo op-amp in several stomp circuits).
I do wonder, if the design already provides the 2 opposite clock phases, if the 4050 couldn't be used instead. It isn't inverting, but it is definitely buffered.

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)