Author Topic: Any interest in a parts kit?  (Read 10147 times)

aron

Any interest in a parts kit?
« on: September 26, 2003, 06:42:14 AM »
Let me know.

Would you want everything including box, or are the components, perfboard, jacks and switch enough?

stratking

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 11:28:04 AM »
Don't know about other folks but I was getting ready to order some stuff from small bear and just figured I'd throw whatever I needed for the project in the order.  A kit might be a good way to go however, just have to order one thing, and have everything there for ya.

stratking

Joe Bonner

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 01:06:25 PM »
I was thinking the same as stratking, although a kit would be nice too.

What size box would be appropriate, Aron? The Hammond 1590B (is that the MXR size)?

Joe

bwanasonic

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 01:28:32 PM »
Quote from: Joe Bonner
I was thinking the same as stratking, although a kit would be nice too.

What size box would be appropriate, Aron? The Hammond 1590B (is that the MXR size)?

Joe

I find a nice size is what Steve at smallbear calls the *Wild Mouse* size enclosure. It's basically the same outer dimensions as a Boss pedal. It has a bit more *altitude* than the MXR size, making it easier to mount the board over the controls.  

Kerry M

Joe Bonner

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 02:24:02 PM »
Kerry,

Thanks for the tip!

Joe

aron

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 02:24:12 PM »
For the first project, splurge on the box size. Get as large a box as you can - that means 1590BB if possible. You do not want to be cramped on your first try.

I made that mistake and  :(

aron

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 02:25:10 PM »
I think I might make a kit available with everything except the box - components, jacks and switches. I need to check if it's feasible.

Andy

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 03:16:56 PM »
When you can, provide a price.  I have spare parts but I would like to know if I have the parts YOU are working with.

Cliff

Just a thought
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2003, 09:23:02 PM »
Just a thought....it seems that if you provided a "kit" with everything except the enclosure, I would still have to make an order to a supplier for the enclosure, since I don't think I can pick up anything appropriate locally here in town.  Thus, if I place an order to a supplier, I mind as well get all the parts?????  For the first project, it would be cool to get everything necessary in a "kit" form, although figuring out an appropriate order from a supplier would be a good exercise.  Either way is good for me.

Mike Nichting

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2003, 04:59:08 PM »
I might add that a kit would show the appropriate sizes for the components. It is very easy to get caps that are way too big or the wrong kind.
 Ordering a box would let you establish contact with the dealer of your choice so that at a later date if you have questions about parts etc. you would already have a customer # and such and they are more willing to give up their time answring questions if you are a previous customer.

I ahev a question about Vero Board, does it connect rows together kind of like a bread board??

Mike

stratking

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2003, 01:51:16 AM »
So do you think were going to do the kit or should I go ahead and order all the stuff from smallbear?

Unfortunately can't do the chat/build this sunday, have two gigs going, but I will definately be studing up sunday night.

stratking

tonepoet

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2003, 01:15:58 AM »
Hey Aron,
     I would definitely buy a kit, it would be easier for me.

Yun

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2003, 06:31:47 PM »
Sorry for the late responce, i just registered 2 days ago i think it was.  

i would LOVE a parts kit.  That would make it VERY easy for me.  i allways hated searching/driving miles to get a Switch, and they don't even carry them hahahaha  :D

b_rogers

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2003, 02:54:06 PM »
kits would be awesome with or without the case..i would love a tone bender kit, maybe a rat kit...fuzz face..where i live there arent very many places to buy electronics, and waiting for crap to get here on the internet kinda kills the exitement you know what i mean? definitley with a dpdt switch...i asked a few electronics stores around town here for a dpdt and they said "a what?" or "we dont have anything like that" so i have to get what radio shack doesnt have shipped and it SUCKS. hope you decide to do kits!

gdmart

kits oh yea
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2003, 12:16:19 AM »
I like the idea of perf board kits ,as complete as possible with layouts and schematic in color and large font (for tired eyes) . maybe even a reference page for what alternate caps or resistors etc to tweak with.Im looking for the perfect super fuzz layout.Perf board is better than learning to solder on traces on a pcb   great ideas !!!

RedSweater

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2003, 01:16:05 AM »
a case would be nice though... it doesn't have to be drilled or anythingy, just a thought

KevinSTP

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2003, 02:25:50 AM »
A kit sounds like a great Idea I'm in.What type of kits will you be offering?

aron

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2003, 03:18:04 PM »
I'm still thinking about this. I want to make one more "beginner" project that has appeal; like a simple fuzz or something.

Then I will go on to op amp based projects.

About the kits; I'm still thinking. I would probably start out with parts only, then if demand warrants it, a box.

The reason being that a box will really add to the cost.

tonepoet

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2003, 04:46:02 AM »
Although I would like to have a kit, maybe ordering it from Small Bear would be even more practical experience for us all. A parts list would make that simple. Plus it would give Steve some business, we could know exactly what to order, all parts in the same place at one time, everyone's happy. You wouldn't have to scramble to get so many things for everyone. Here's a kind of cheap place for some enclosures for anyone that might be interested: http://www.lmbheeger.com/products.asp?catid=56 I agree with gdmart, a perfboard would be more of a learning curve for us.

hendrixrules

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2004, 07:25:17 AM »
i was gunna build the circuit first to see how big it is then buy the smallest box it would comfortably fit into :wink: