A better bass screamer

Started by Fancy Lime, August 21, 2021, 06:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fancy Lime

Quote from: iainpunk on April 23, 2022, 06:10:15 PM
hey, cool that you kept going and came up with a new iteration. if i have space on my breadboard ill give this one a whirl.

QuoteNow I finally went to the trouble of trying to find out, who has used that before, and I could not find any commercial examples. Jack has an article on it, though, because of course he has: https://www.muzique.com/news/tube-screamer-mix-control/.
im kind of shocked that you coulndt find any commercial examples, seems such an obvious trick and it has been popular in the DIY  scene for quite a while

cheers
Please do, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Warning, though, it's a very conventional overdrive. No wave folding or generation of random pulses of obscure jazz chords, triggered by the use of the word "porcupine" on a selectable AM Radio Station.
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

iainpunk

it might take a while before i move the current circuit off of the breadboard, as im currently in the early stages of the design process. (yet another metal distortion)

i think my dad might enjoy a good bass overdrive, as we started to play in a band/jam group together, so ill be putting it on my gigable breadboard so i (or he) can easily use it in the rehearsal space.

talking about normal sounding overdrives, ive been putting my 2 cents in the hat as well, behind the scenes. abusing a BiMOS opamp, basically having an opamp gainstage driving a basically open-loop cmos inverter gain stage, but using the DC feedback bias voltage to also bias the opamp. sounds smooth but spunky. not my normal game by a long shot, all kinds of things in the sound that i normally enhance, but you don't want in a 'normal sounding' overdrive, like the LM358's crossover distortion, and other 'nasty' artifacts.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers