Back to back electrolytic question.

Started by humptydumpty, August 14, 2009, 07:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humptydumpty

Is it true if you have to electrolytics with a value of 10uF each, like this,  +||--||+, that it will equal out to a value of 10uF?

edvard

No. Yes. Maybe. Sort of.

1) It is generally a bad idea to connect an electrolytic in reverse voltage, and at least one of your caps is, so I don't know exactly how that will behave in a circuit.
2) The formula for capacitors in series is Ctotal = (C1 x C2 x C...)/(C1 + C2 + C...) so two 10uf caps in series will come out to 10uf, but try that with other values and you start getting different answers.

For example: Two 47uf caps in series is (47 x 47)/(47 + 47) = 2209 / 94 = 23.5uf

I ran another few through the calculator and it came out that your total capacitance of two in series ends up being approximately half of the value of one of them, so you're getting half the capacitance for twice the cap cost in board space and money.
However, if you're using caps of equal value, the voltage rating is additive (3 series caps with 50v rating should be able to take 150v...), but I'm sure there are caveats to that as well.
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

amptramp

In your example, two capacitors of 10 uF in series will be 5 uF.  The voltage rating will be the same as each capacitor because the current flow will be in the "wrong" direction for one cap.  Non-polarized capacitors are made exactly like this.

If you can tolerate the distortion (what am I saying, this is all about distortion) you could put diodes in series and parallel with each capacitor so that you retain the full 10 uF and neither capacitor ever sees reverse bias (but with horrendous crossover distortion).

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: amptramp on August 14, 2009, 09:17:09 PM
...(but with horrendous crossover distortion).
Hmm... There are some folks that might find that very desirable.
You know who you are ;) ;D.

Good reading:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=53737.0

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.