Your choices for TS808/TS9

Started by metamatic, August 31, 2009, 04:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metamatic

Which are your choices for components (capacitors, IC, diodes, transistors..) for TS808/TS9 projects? Could you illustrate the sound differences between several devices (caps brands/types, IC etc..)
I'm planning to build my second TS808 and i'd like to try different components
thanks

petemoore

Which are your choices for components (capacitors, IC, diodes, transistors..) for TS808/TS9 projects? Could you illustrate the sound differences between several devices (caps brands/types, IC etc..)
  Green Caps or other [usually salvaged]
  IC JRC 4558 or similar [new is always nice, but used...if they're pulled 'nicely
  Try different types of diodes...[used, new, salvaged, can easily be tested for foreward threshold using inexpensive DMM, try various diode configurations for various types of waveshaping.
  Bipolar transistors 2n5088 are fine as are about any others, these are buffer stages.
  Differences:
  Caps...nope can't illustrate or notice any differences, I take for granted that greenies or other work great, adding miniscule to unnoticable differences..partly because of what I understand..and this same understanding allows me to look for difference makers in other areas. The material [excluding 'brownie caps'] doesn't seem to matter where I can tell, and I choose values according to schematic or personal taste.
  Try some different IC's, TL072's are a touch different, but still I use 4558 and look for differences in other areas.
  Now...diodes...a whole plethora of symmetrical/assymetrical and material types DO make quite noticable differences, I socket or otherwise make it easy to try different types of diodes.
  NPN Bipolar transistors seem to have no trouble handling buffer duties.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.