Guitar Treble Bleed Circuit Diagrams

Started by WGTP, September 01, 2009, 05:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGTP

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/WGTP/Treble+Bleed.GIF.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I put this together for the Seymour Duncan Pickup Forum, but it would be a part of the circuit when your guitar is plugged into your favorite distortion box.

It basically effects the treble loss/boost as the volume knob is turned up or down.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

John Lyons

Cool. thanks for posting that.
It's a nice circuit to add to some pedal circuits that get
too dark when turned down.
John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

scottosan

Quote from: WGTP on September 01, 2009, 05:48:28 PM
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/WGTP/Treble+Bleed.GIF.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I put this together for the Seymour Duncan Pickup Forum, but it would be a part of the circuit when your guitar is plugged into your favorite distortion box.

It basically effects the treble loss/boost as the volume knob is turned up or down.   :icon_cool:
It would not serve as a boost when turning the volume up.  When the pot is turned all of the way up, the woe lugs will have 0 resistance rendering the resister and cap completely out of the circuit.  This is common in many guitars .

chi_boy

This is interesting.  I've been mulling this mod over as I have been rewiring my strat.

I need a little help with the math on the Seymour Mod.  With the pot set at maximum volume, the cap/resistor are shorted out and don't change anything.  At minimum volume though, isn't the actual resistance calculated as 2 resistors in parallel?  So for a 250k pot set at minimum volume, the actual resistance would be 250k parallel to 100k or a net Resistance of ~72k.  Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Obviously the Seymour Mod has been around a long time and is used by many, but the math just strikes me as odd.  I'm just wondering if I have it straight in my head.

George
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

scottosan

Quote from: chi_boy on September 01, 2009, 09:20:53 PM
This is interesting.  I've been mulling this mod over as I have been rewiring my strat.

I need a little help with the math on the Seymour Mod.  With the pot set at maximum volume, the cap/resistor are shorted out and don't change anything.  At minimum volume though, isn't the actual resistance calculated as 2 resistors in parallel?  So for a 250k pot set at minimum volume, the actual resistance would be 250k parallel to 100k or a net Resistance of ~72k.  Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Obviously the Seymour Mod has been around a long time and is used by many, but the math just strikes me as odd.  I'm just wondering if I have it straight in my head.

George
Don't take my word for it, measure it out.  When the volume is full on a 250k pot, the ther is 0 resistance between lugs 1 and 2, and 250k between lug 2 (hot) and ground. Zero ohms in parralel with any value will always be zero.  When the pot is turned all of the way down their is zero resistance between lug 2(hot) and ground thus no volume. regardless what value resistor and cap you use between lus 1 and 2, they will have no effect on the circuit when the volume is turned all of the way up.

John Lyons

Just a note that the hot lug (full Clockwise) is lug 3 not lug 1.
When the pot is turned full CW, lugs 2 and 3 are shorted together,
no resistance (or very little).
But yes, it's as scottosan describes.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

chi_boy

OK, so I did as suggested and pulled out a 250k pot and a 100k resistor.  Soldered the resistor as shown in the Seymour Mod, between the hot and the center.  At full CW (viewed from front of pot) the resistance between the hot lug and the center lug was .3ohm and the resistance between the hot lug and ground lug was 275k.  At full CCW resistance between the hot lug and the center lug was 73.8k and the resistance between the hot lug and ground lug was 73.8k.

Still can't get my head around it.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

BAARON

That is correct, chi_boy.  Now, measure from the center lug (output) to the ground lug, and you'll find that they're connected.

Another trick that reduces treble loss as you roll down your volume is to simply attach the tone controls to the middle (output) lug of the volume pot instead of the input lug.  (It essentially changes the placement of the tone control in the circuit when the volume is turned down.)  I find that it makes a big difference and keeps your tone clear, but without the skinny/bright sound you start getting when the volume is turned down with the brite caps added to your volume pot.
B. Aaron Ennis
If somebody makes a mistake, help them understand what went wrong.  Show them how to do it right.  Be helpful.  Don't just say "you're wrong, moron."

stallik

Yeah, I know this is an extremely old thread and, as my ISP forbids connection to the layouts gallery, I may be repeating what's been said already but..

Tried this treble bleed on one guitar then spent the last evening adding it to all of them. Best I've heard yet - think it's pretty close to what Fender are currently fitting to American Strat's & Tele's. Doesn't seem to loose any frequencies (to my old ears) just gets quieter

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

iainpunk

i used to have it on my explorer, untill i replaced all the electronics, and forgot to put it back. mine had different values tho, it left the treble at full volume and just cut the bass for the first half turn, then it quieted down everything.
really cool to use with fuzz and muddy distortion circuits

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

stallik

My values probably won't de mud a fuzz, the bass/mid/treble balance remains pretty constant. That's what I like about it.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

ashcat_lt

This is a pretty old thread, but only slightly older than JohnH's thread over at GuitarNutz where he compares various types of treble bleed circuits, which some of you might find interesting.