StripMagic 0.1b

Started by ~arph, September 02, 2009, 06:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~arph

Hi,

I'm in the process of building an application for designing stripboard layouts for the diy community. For ease of use it reads and write in the DIYLC v1 file format. It is still far from finished, but I'd like to hear your opnion and comments here. because YOU are my audience.

The app will be free of charge.

Current requirements are: Java 1.6+ installed, OpenGL enabled graphics card.

Click link below, to start the app. Then load your favorite .diy stripboard layout, or create one.

http://www.friedair.com/stripmagic/start.jnlp

Notes:

Use mousewheel to zoom.
Press mousewheel to pan (or alt+left mouse)

GREEN FUZ

I like it. Very intuitive. The flashing graphics are a little disconcerting at first, but one quickly gets used to it.

This is obviously just a quick appraisal based on a few minutes of use, so no constructive critiscisms for now. Nice one.

EDIT: Is the clipboard button meant to close down the program? :-\

EDIT2: Undo not working.

~arph

EDIT1: No, Actually I did that to remind me I still have to build that..

EDIT2: After what action?

It is still VERY beta. Lots of room for improvements.
eg. Copy/Paste does not work yet.. as you might have noticed.

The most usefull feature I think is highlighting what component nodes are connected (even through jumpers) that way you can see if you are being correct.

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: ~arph on September 02, 2009, 06:46:17 AM
EDIT1: No, Actually I did that to remind me I still have to build that..

OK  ;D.

QuoteEDIT2: After what action?

I just put in some random jumpers and tried to undo. No go.

It is still VERY beta. Lots of room for improvements...

I appreciate that. You`ve made a good start.

QuoteThe most usefull feature I think is highlighting what component nodes are connected (even through jumpers) that way you can see if you are being correct.

I meant to point that out. Nice feature.

Naz Nomad

So far, I'm totally impressed ... nice job.  :icon_cool:
... riding a Lissajous curve to oblivion.

~arph

Cool, thanks for the kind words. I'm happily surprised that no one is having trouble starting the app.

How do you like the resistor color codes?  :icon_cool:

Naz Nomad

Quote from: ~arph on September 02, 2009, 07:30:22 AMI'm happily surprised that no one is having trouble starting the app.
Anyone that can't run Java these days need a kick in the nuts  :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Quote from: ~arph on September 02, 2009, 07:30:22 AMHow do you like the resistor color codes?  :icon_cool:
Honestly, the bands could be a touch wider ... but I'm old and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. Nice definition between brown, red and orange though, which can be a problem on real resistors.

This is so gonna blow DIYLC outta the water. We truly are not worthy

~arph

Quote from: Naz Nomad on September 02, 2009, 07:38:52 AM
Honestly, the bands could be a touch wider ... but I'm old and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

There are the type of comments I'm looking for. Thanks. Will change this.

This is so gonna blow DIYLC outta the water. We truly are not worthy

Well, my intention is not to blow DIYLC out of the water.. note it is for stripboard only (no immediate plans for other boards now).

BTW. Try the image export for the tracecut side.. plus.. try the slider bottom right for the component opacity.

~arph

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on September 02, 2009, 06:58:39 AM
I just put in some random jumpers and tried to undo. No go.

Thnx, I think it's a jumper issue.. other components should work.. even if you move more then one simultaneously. (you can select/rubberband multiple using the select tool)

cpm

does it compute automatically a layout from a netlist??  8)

~arph

Quote from: cpm on September 02, 2009, 07:50:59 AM
does it compute automatically a layout from a netlist??  8)

Not yet. BUT: I'm 75% done with that. Not from a netlist, but from an LTSpice file. But I want to be able to draw the schematic too so this will take a bit more time. ( I am reading the draw instructions from the .asy files and that works great, but curved lines are a hassle)
Also, the auto generated layout uses no trace cuts. So it can still be optimized for minimum board size.

Auke Haarsma

Fantastisch Arnoud!

Easy download, easy install, runs smooth (OS: Linux Mint 7).

I am no stripboarder, but I just had to try this app. Intuitive interface, love the resistor color codes. The app has a very smooth feel to it.

Quote from: ~arph on September 02, 2009, 07:57:50 AM
Not yet. BUT: I'm 75% done with that. Not from a netlist, but from an LTSpice file. But I want to be able to draw the schematic too so this will take a bit more time. ( I am reading the draw instructions from the .asy files and that works great, but curved lines are a hassle)
If it is possible I would really love an export to the Eagle format from Spice. Since you are writing a converter for the Spice format.... any change your output file could be used by Eagle?

slacker

Quote from: ~arph on September 02, 2009, 07:30:22 AMI'm happily surprised that no one is having trouble starting the app.
Anyone that can't run Java these days need a kick in the nuts  :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I had to resort to Google to figure out how to download it, kick me in the nuts if you like, I can take it :)

Once I'd done that it looks like it will be pretty cool once it's finished, nice work.

frequencycentral

Quote from: slacker on September 02, 2009, 01:06:44 PM

I had to resort to Google to figure out how to download it, kick me in the nuts if you like, I can take it :)

Once I'd done that it looks like it will be pretty cool once it's finished, nice work.

I had a problem at first too, then I found that my Java was the 19th century version, updated it and no problem now. Looks nice - but no plans for a perf option?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

slacker

My problem was just that my browser didn't know what to do with the .jnlp extension, once I told it to open it using the javaws program everything was fine.

Naz Nomad

... twas only a virtual 'kick in the nuts' ... a mere tickle really.  ;D

~arph

Thanks for the kind words!

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on September 02, 2009, 12:56:01 PM
If it is possible I would really love an export to the Eagle format from Spice. Since you are writing a converter for the Spice format.... any change your output file could be used by Eagle?

Eagle is on my list. Trouble is, it is not an open file format. Unless I find out how that works internally, it's not possible. Plus if I do find out how, I'm not sure the eagle guys will like it.

Quote from: frequencycentral on September 02, 2009, 01:11:15 PM
Looks nice - but no plans for a perf option?

Welcome in the 21 century!
I know I need perf in order to get you to use it... ;)  Should not be too hard to implement (just like lots of jumpers really..), but I really want all the basics first. Top on my list are, finishing up copy/paste. Make the BOM.

I would like to know if you  think it is important to have the external components available too.. Pots, Jacks and switch mainly. Since you can indicate these with wires too.. I never used them in any of my vero layouts. So that is why I have not included them now. Should I? (they are hard to draw :P)

Btw, is anyone experiencing throuble on the memory useage side of the app? I heard some signals on a different forum that it was pulling 100% on a single core. (in a dual core config)

EDIT: Btw, Undo/Redo currently only works on moving and deleting components. Not placing.

jrod

I like it. So simple, even I can use it!  ::)

Leston Braun