StripMagic 0.1b

Started by ~arph, September 02, 2009, 06:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oliphaunt

This is great work, overall it seems more friendly and less slugglish than DIY.  I have a few thoughts:

- The resistor bands could be larger and grouped together for easier visibility
- I don't care for the flashing strip, though I see how it can help you see what is connected on a strip when there are trace cuts, so I'll remain neutral on that one.  Maybe make this function an option to turn on/off.
- You can enter the value and type of each component but I don't see any way to disply the value when you export the final image, like DIY's auto generated component list.  Perhaps I am just not seeing how to use this function.
- When exporting the final .png image the .png extension is not saved as part of the file name unless you add it manually.
- I really like adding pots and other external compomenets to my diagrams, so I would love to see them included in this project.
- A few basic file managent things are missing, like it doesn't remember the last folder you opened or saved a project to, and it doesn't ask for an auto save when you exit.

It used about 50% of my system resources but very little memory.
Again great work, I use mostly strip projects and DIY is a huge sluggish pain in my rear end.  Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing how this turns out!

oliphaunt

Quote from: ~arph on September 02, 2009, 06:46:17 AM
The most usefull feature I think is highlighting what component nodes are connected (even through jumpers) that way you can see if you are being correct.

I'm not sure what you mean here, is this the flashing strip?

One other thing I noticed that would be nice is to add a trim pot object.

~arph

Thnx,

I will make the flashing strip less obtrusive (perhaps switchable). the flashing strip shows the continuity on the mouse position on thecurrent strip. Add a tracecut and you will see.

Connected component nodes are highlighted with green circles.

Trimpots are in there, but you can't place them yet. however if you open a .diy design that has trimpots in it it will display them.

Plus you can do funny things with transistors right now (dragging seperate pins). Have to fix that too.

Bill of materials is coming.

positron

This software looks great, I hope you find the time to do the updates :)

I found that I couldn't delete track cuts but I can delete other objects fine. And I love the highlight of the connected component pins feature, that was a great idea.

Tony Forestiere

I don't do stripboard, but the Java allows cross platform as I am able to open in Ubuntu Linux.
Nice job.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

roseblood11

Hi,

great job!

One thing:
If you type a value in the "Component properties" window, you have to use the mouse to click on the "OK" button. That´s really slow. Hitting "Return" or "Enter" should work like the "OK" button...

~arph

Hi,

Thank you for the input.
That is definately on my list.. irritates me too.  ;)
I allready have some fixes on the shelf like functioning Copy/paste

Let me put it up right now..

Regards,

Arnoud

~arph

trixdropd

Very nice. Google chrome had this working perfectly, with no issues. I hope you include plastic jacks and relays and such, and also the ability to convert to pcb.

~arph

Small update

It is now possible to export a Bill of Materials in the File -> Export menu

~arph

Hi,

I just did a quick release. The current version keeps unknown components when saving. This means all pots, and jacks and switches that were in the original diylc file will be kept when you save it again with stripmagic.

Regards,

Arnoud

Skruffyhound

Ok, shame but it looks like I can't run this anymore on my Mac G4. I'm running 10.5.8 but I can't update jre further without an Intel injection!
I'm a dinosaur :icon_frown:

~arph

Hi All,

I found some time to work on this last evening.
I've made some updates available, which I hope you like.

New features:
- Place wires
- Place Potentiometer
- Place Timmers
- Select electrolyte size
- All components con now be placed offboard.
- Jumpers can be drawn at any angle
- Enter key in the value field of the component editor will save and exit
- PERFBOARD option selectable in the Board Properties dialog.

I hope you like it.

URL as always:

http://www.friedair.com/stripmagic/start.jnlp

liquids

Thank you for all your excellent and hard work Arnoud -- and just in time for my weekend perfboard project! 
Breadboard it!

~arph

Let me know how that goes, because beside creating the option of switching to perf I did not add any logic to it. ( I even turned off the strip highlight and connectivity display). Though I'm sure that at least one person here might start using this app now too.

~arph

Liquids notified me on a issue with perf. Saved perf layouts could not be opened in Stripmagic, but they could in diylc.
I've fixed this, so your saved perf layouts can still be opened now.

Renegadrian

Quote from: Tony Forestiere on October 03, 2009, 12:42:05 PM
I don't do stripboard, but the Java allows cross platform as I am able to open in Ubuntu Linux.
Nice job.

I'm on Kubuntu - How can I use that file?!
Yeah cross platform is good!!!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

~arph

1) Make sure you have Java 1.6+ installed   (go to java.sun.com )
2) click the url in my sinature. That will start the application

That should work. Otherwise contact me over PM and I'll try to help you out.

Regards,

Arnoud

Renegadrian

Installed the sun java 6.17 (jre and bin) via the system manager (adept).
the program starts, but i Cannot see any layout in the main window. I tried to open those .diy files, and the name of them appear on the top, as it they were open, but no file to see...Also, trying to start a new one, no strips are there...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

alparent

Not knowing much about programming :icon_redface: this might be a stupid question :icon_question:

Would it be a lot of work for you to also do something like this but with a breadboard instead of a strip board?