StripMagic 0.1b

Started by ~arph, September 02, 2009, 06:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~arph

You do? ok great, must have been my videocard then. As I did not put up a new version yet  :P

~arph

Made some progress on LTSpice import.

Imports components, names, values and ratsnest. When a component is selected little lines show where to connect.

mattthegamer463

Good sir, you have demolished the usability of DIYLC and set an extremely high bar.  I am sold, but I hate to ask...

How is the PCB transfer generator function coming along?  Once it has that I am forever hooked.

trixdropd

Quote from: mattthegamer463 on February 03, 2011, 06:25:23 PM
Good sir, you have demolished the usability of DIYLC and set an extremely high bar.  I am sold, but I hate to ask...

How is the PCB transfer generator function coming along?  Once it has that I am forever hooked.
+333

jonnyeye

Very nice so far!  Two quick things I have noticed:

- When resizing a board smaller, there should be a check that there are no components in the area being removed.  At the moment it seems to just chop off the top m rows and the last n columns - perhaps a "reduce excess board size" option is required where the program determines the smallest bounding box for the layout and puts it on a board that size?

- For fun, I set the board size ludicrously large (1000x1000).  The program stopped accepting input, and I killed it after it went over 1GB (!) of RAM usage.  Having a board size limitation or some sort of "Really? That big?" confirmation when trying to input large board sizes would be good, especially as it's possible to accidentally type in unfeasibly large values.

~arph

Quote from: jonnyeye on February 03, 2011, 10:52:48 PM
Very nice so far!  Two quick things I have noticed:

- When resizing a board smaller, there should be a check that there are no components in the area being removed.  At the moment it seems to just chop off the top m rows and the last n columns - perhaps a "reduce excess board size" option is required where the program determines the smallest bounding box for the layout and puts it on a board that size?

- For fun, I set the board size ludicrously large (1000x1000).  The program stopped accepting input, and I killed it after it went over 1GB (!) of RAM usage.  Having a board size limitation or some sort of "Really? That big?" confirmation when trying to input large board sizes would be good, especially as it's possible to accidentally type in unfeasibly large values.

Thanks, very useful input. I will implement them both. There are still plenty opf bugs and features I want in there. Oh btw, I have already done bezier wires like in the new diylc.
As a matter of fact I also have the drawing routines done for spice, so I can draw the schematic too. Just need to find a good spot for that :P

~arph

Quote from: trixdropd on February 03, 2011, 06:41:24 PM
Quote from: mattthegamer463 on February 03, 2011, 06:25:23 PM

+333

I did create a automatic veroboard placement routine once for nestlists. I do plan including it, so it will lay out a veroboard from a spice file for you. It's just that I've never been a big fan of autorouters, so auto-placement is not a item on the top of the list. (I will not do it for PCB's though) First I have to create PAD and trace components I guess.

Skruffyhound

This just keeps getting more and more impressive Arnoud. I can't even run it until I get my new mac, but I'm following the thread. Really great solo effort, thanks.

~arph

Ok, I put up a new version 0.2b

Has a bunch of improvements. Mainly dragging components around and selecting works a lot better.

- Dragging is instantaneous, no more selecting first.
- Selecting a component is done by double click or rubberbanding (drag selection)
- There are some new components, wires are beziers (nice and curvy)
- Should run smooth again on win7 and vista.
- Component names and values are displayed below the board.

Did I mention that it has a LTSpice import function now :D ?
First make sure you have LTSpice installed. StripMagic will ask you where you installed it. Just select the install directory.

When you import a spice schematic, all components are added above the board. You have to drag them in place. select a component (dbl click) and you will see where you have to connect the nodes.

This is still a beta, and probably still full of bugs. I just wanted to put this out so you know the project is not dead.

Oh and yes, the trim board size and mega board bugs have been tackled.

Perrow

Will give this a try, any estimate on the PCB functionality?
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

PatF

~arph,
Thank you, this is a very cool app. It is going to come in handy.

Harold

Very impressive indeed!

I also pickup up coding today since I saw your post on the newtone forum but I'll never beat your nifty Spice import :(

Maybe I'll just write a StripMagic importer someday!  8)
DIY-Layout.com: Online stripboard layouts

isildur100

~arph

@Perrow: I've already started on PCB/Eylet/Tagboard support. I have to do some layer functionality for the traces and pads.
@Harold: Start with a diy lc import function and you're 90% there.  ;D. It's all XML and easy to read.

The spice function is just a gimmick. It's a good starting point, but you have to keep in mind spice knows nothing about component packages.

ayayay!

Wanted to pass along a little help.  I've got an older video card that wouldn't run the OpenGL driver.  After attempting to install I just got Java error logs.  No worries, once you try to install StripMagic you can then go into the registry and check these statements.  Insert them if they're not there:   (You may have to look for whatever video card you have in the hive below if it's not "ati2dvag."  Just get there and you'll be in the right spot)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\OpenGLDrivers\ati2dvag]
"Dll"="atioglxx.dll"
"DriverVersion"=dword:00000001
"Flags"=dword:00000001
"Version"=dword:00000002

Here's the key:  If the statements are all there, change the "x" before the .dll to a 2.  If it's already a "2", change it an x.  That should make StripMagic fire up when you try it. 

Thanks ~arph!  Can't wait to do some layouts!
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Skruffyhound

Hi Arnoud,
              I have some saved layouts which refuse to open. They want an application to open with. I have StripMagic running but obviously it doesn't show up in my apps. What's the trick to saving layouts?

Edit: I'm using the perfboard.

~arph

It doesn't work that way around. You need to start up stripmagic by hand and then open the files from there.. I'm not sure if I can get the OS to have a file association with a webstart application.I'll have to investigate that.

Skruffyhound

OK, that makes sense. I was tired last night and couldn't work it out. Thanks for the quick response.

Yep, that works :D

liquids

Been a while here...

Is there an easy way to get files developed in StripMagic (diyx) to load/convert to the current version of DIYlc?  Sorry if this is obvious, but I don't want to risk ruining any layouts.
Breadboard it!

pappasmurfsharem

can't run the app java splash screen comes up but nothing starts unfortunately
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."